cue oil??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cue oil??

Ive recently heard about cue oil. Having played (badly) for over 20 years and never done it, I was wondering what benefits if any it brings?? What are your thoughts/experiences?? Thanks, Tommy

I used Mike Wooldridge cue oil to refinish my cue. It's smooth as silk now

Comment

It won't make you a better player if thats what your getting at

Comment

There are many oils out there that can be used on cues, i.e. MW oils, Coutts oil, Parris, etc. (these tend to be their own blend of linseed/Danish oil with waxes, etc.), to standard linseed oils.
        They are used to protect the wood from the elements, dirty, chalk dust, sweat and can make the cue feel smooth and glide for cueing.

If the cue is varnished/lacquered the oil will not penetrate the varnish, so generally, not a good to oil a varnished cue.

see:
        https://www.parriscues.com/cue_care/
        http://handmadecues.com/4-Info/20-cuecare.htm
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

The top of my cue under the ferulle has discoloured somewhat due to chalk will MW oil get rid of it?
          "Practice Makes Perfect"
          "He Who Endures Conquers"
          "Fortune Favours The Brave"

1 piece Trevor White 8.5mm Tip,17 1/2oz,57"

Comment

Apart from enhancing the natural beauty of the wood, it nourishes the wood preventing it from becoming too dry and potentially brittle and creates a protective seal from moisture and dirt etc. Different oils/waxes give a different feel to the finish, some are more hardwearing than others aswell. Personally I use a blend of linseed raw or boiled and tung oil. Boiled linseed dries quicker and is better than raw for a finish if you only use linseed. Danish oil is more hardwearing as it contains resins, follow the instructions on the bottle carefully with Danish oil though or you'll end up with a horrible sticky mess

Comment

Originally Posted by WelshPhantom View Post
              The top of my cue under the ferulle has discoloured somewhat due to chalk will MW oil get rid of it?
              the chalk must be removed for before oiling, else it will be under the oil coating.
              remove by cleaning or in bad case sanding with very fine sandpaper/wool, or send to cue doctor
              also learn to chalk lightly and less often

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                the chalk must be removed for before oiling, else it will be under the oil coating.
                remove by cleaning or in bad case sanding with very fine sandpaper/wool, or send to cue doctor
                also learn to chalk lightly and less often
                Wish i could i have a wierd OCD,I have to use all four corners every time i chalk.
                "Practice Makes Perfect"

Comment

Wish i could i have a wierd OCD,I have to use all four corners every time i chalk.

it is amazing how people get into a routine with their chalking (me no exception)
                  a friend is very similar to you, probably not knowingly but he swipes, rotates the chalk 90deg, swipes, rotates chalk 90deg, swipes; I have watched him do this every time he chalks but he only chalks every third/fourth shot

Comment

I've found the Dave coutts cue oil to be very good for re finishing cues these days. Much better finish than the mike wooldridge oil

Comment

Unfortunately not, clean the cue with turps to remove the chalk and then apply oil

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                        Unfortunately not, clean the cue with turps to remove the chalk and then apply oil
                        Sorry if i sound like a noob but how do you go about applying it?I assume use a small amount on a cotton ball.
                        "Practice Makes Perfect"

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                          Sorry if i sound like a noob but how do you go about applying it?I assume use a small amount on a cotton ball.
                          It has to be a lint free colth or similar... a kitchen paper towel does the job and is better applied in light coats...
                          Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
                            It has to be a lint free colth or similar... a kitchen paper towel does the job and is better applied in light coats...
                            Cheers pal.
                            "Practice Makes Perfect"

Comment

Help!!

I've got an ash cue (Parris), cleaned all the chalk etc off with white spirit and the cue came up lovely and soft.

Put a really small amount of Dave Coutts oil on and rubbed in; I was really focussed on only putting a minute amount on at a time so not to end up with a mess (and I didn't).

I let it dry for a few hours rubbed down loads with a lint free cloth; then put a further small coat on.

I left over night and rubbed down again with newspaper (and a cloth) but couldn't get that nice gliding finish that I've had in the past.

The cue looks great but not gliding as I want and i've definately burnished it so not sure what to try now.

No disrespect to Dave's oil as it's obviously something i'm doing or not doing!
                              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
                              X