does a good cue hinder a novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does a good cue hinder a novice

I've been thinking of getting a different cue. simply for a change. Nothing wrong with what I have. And I may well not change at all.

But my question is, in other sports, novices can sometimes struggle to deal with very high tech/high end spec equipment and they will fare better with a lower grade of equipment (easier to handle and execute the technical elements of whatever the sport is). But of course these days folk want best and have disposable cash etc so there is often no telling them

Does this apply to snooker cues?
    To be very clear I'm not asking of a 'better' or more expensive cue will make someone play better (because it probably wont)- that is not the question. The question is, is it possible that it may make them play worse (allowing time to get used to it and assuming it is straight, has a decent tip and the correct size/length, etc, etc., etc)?

Smee

No it won't make any difference at all.
    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

It's just a bit of wood with a tip on it. Hendry won 7 world titles with a cheap bent cue. It's not the cue. It's you.

Comment

Shouldn't make it harder to use and probably better than a very cheap cue.

Comment

i dont think it would make a difference.

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
            I've been thinking of getting a different cue. simply for a change. Nothing wrong with what I have. And I may well not change at all.

But my question is, in other sports, novices can sometimes struggle to deal with very high tech/high end spec equipment and they will fare better with a lower grade of equipment (easier to handle and execute the technical elements of whatever the sport is). But of course these days folk want best and have disposable cash etc so there is often no telling them

To be very clear I'm not asking of a 'better' or more expensive cue will make someone play better (because it probably wont)- that is not the question. The question is, is it possible that it may make them play worse (allowing time to get used to it and assuming it is straight, has a decent tip and the correct size/length, etc, etc., etc)?

Smee
            As cyberheater says it is simply a pointed stick with a leather tip on the end. If you want to be any good at the game simply practise hard and get used to the feeling of the cue you have and the pace of your shots through good accurate consistant cueing.

Those people who spend hundreds on a cue are simply paying for the badge and the cuemakers time, and even that can't be relied upon these days as Crispian Jones revealed.

Comment

I would say using a bigger tip say at least 10mm will make it easier for a beginner. As opposed to starting off with something like an 8.75mm tip

Comment

All in the mind a new cue can help that or maybe not! I used to have a JP superior cue years ago but I found it off-putting... I sold it and played with a cue craft after that.
                James lovell

Comment

Everyone says its you, but I disagree. If you just learning to drive race cars, and they put you into a Lada, you won't know the top end of the sport. If they give you a Ferrari, it might be out of your class, but you will then have the opportunity to race and pull maneuvers you couldn't otherwise do with a Lada.

A high end cue allows you to create shots that may not be possible with a lesser cue. For example, a long distance stun shot to hold for the black (for example), would be achievable with a quality cue, but would require more cue speed or modification of your cue action if you were using a lesser cue. Lower end cues can create undesirable cue actions that you would need to correct later on. Correcting your cue action and learning about it comes as part of the game anyways, but having a good cue to start would minimize errors in cue action that you would end up having to fix later.

I say get the best cue you can afford and as you improve, get a better cue until you reach the point where the cue you have ticks all the boxes. And definitely don't start with a 10mm tip, because you will then end up struggling with a preferred tip size later on.
                  Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                  My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                    Everyone says its you, but I disagree. If you just learning to drive race cars, and they put you into a Lada, you won't know the top end of the sport. If they give you a Ferrari, it might be out of your class, but you will then have the opportunity to race and pull maneuvers you couldn't otherwise do with a Lada.

A high end cue allows you to create shots that may not be possible with a lesser cue. For example, a long distance stun shot to hold for the black (for example), would be achievable with a quality cue, but would require more cue speed or modification of your cue action if you were using a lesser cue. Lower end cues can create undesirable cue actions that you would need to correct later on. Correcting your cue action and learning about it comes as part of the game anyways, but having a good cue to start would minimize errors in cue action that you would end up having to fix later.

I say get the best cue you can afford and as you improve, get a better cue until you reach the point where the cue you have ticks all the boxes. And definitely don't start with a 10mm tip, because you will then end up struggling with a preferred tip size later on.
                    sorry bomber but i think this post is so way off that i don't know where to start so, lets start with a car
                    Last edited by j6uk; 9 May 2014, 11:20 PM.

Comment

its about what makes a good cue and it always comes down to how it plays (for you), regardless who's made it or the price tag. some of the best hitters over the 30 years iv been playing have been club cues and, yes some had 10 mm tips. my first ton was with an 11mm racker.
                      the straightness of the grain is usually a good sign
                      DSC09625.JPG
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by j6uk; 9 May 2014, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                        this post is so way off that i don't know where to start so, lets start with a car
                        I'm pretty sure my example was intended to describe the comparison of a standard Lada with a standard Ferrari. Not a bloody 150k pound supercharged Vauxhall!!

Nice car tho
                        Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                        My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                          I'm pretty sure my example was intended to describe the comparison of a standard Lada with a standard Ferrari. Not a bloody 150k pound supercharged Vauxhall!!

Nice car tho
                          pulling your pickle there a wee bit, the car thing don't really make sense because when it comes to wood, good wood is good wood, if its a dusty old racker in a dead club or a well oiled ultimate with a 800 quid price tag

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post

Smee
                            if you have money to buy a good quality cue.
                            Why not? Maybe can help you to get more confidence. ( JUST MAYBE ).
                            But if you think, with an expensive cue,, you can play better snooker. Then you are dreaming !!!!!!!!!!!
                            Is an extension of the arm. nothing more.

Comment

Yes, it can help confidence and create more enthusiasm to play more (ie practise) which can improve game but wont turn a bad player into potting machine like ebdon!

Comment

Working...
                              X