Dennis Taylor glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dennis Taylor glasses

After a recent discovery I found out that I actually see better when using glasses instead of contacs! The balls seem the be smaller which makes it easier to hit where intendend, sounds kind of strange but that what I've expereinced! Now, are there anyone here who use the type of glasses that Dennis Taylor used? How does it feel when playing with them? Does the glas cover the whole eye when playing a shot? I have "regular" glasses at the moment and my problem is that I see above the glasses when bending down which makes long pots almost impossible due to my bad sight at long range.
    #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

I use DT glasses and have a couple of comments for you. Get rimless if you can as you don't want any part of the frame getting into your line of sight. Get them made with the frame as deep as you can. I bought a cheap pair off e-bay and the frame was about 53mm deep. They were ok but I then got a pair made at 57mm deep and they were much better as there was more frame to sight through when you bend down and squint your eyes up. Hope that explains things.
    Last edited by Bigmeek; 14 May 2014, 07:20 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I also use them now after years of playing in contact lenses. Much better vision for the long shots but you absolutely must have lenses with an anti reflection coating on them or the reflection of the lights will appear on your lenses making you unable to see past these reflections which are always right in front of what you want to look at.
      I bought those cheapies off ebay, about £60 with the anti reflection lenses, had to adjust the nose pieces to get the focal point of the lens in the correct place when down in my stance, after that, clear as day vision.

Comment

I've been looking at these: http://www.spex4less.com/acatalog/Hi...r_Glasses.html they should be decent or what do you think? Rimless and anti reflection is a requirement of course
        #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

Comment

Only 52mm deep so wouldn't buy them myself. Google Rockspex. They sell 57mm deep.

Comment

Originally Posted by Viktortheman View Post
            I've been looking at these: http://www.spex4less.com/acatalog/Hi...r_Glasses.html they should be decent or what do you think? Rimless and anti reflection is a requirement of course
            I ordered these a few weeks ago only to receive an email after waiting 2 weeks to say out of stock till June.

Comment

Originally Posted by TexasTrev View Post
              I ordered these a few weeks ago only to receive an email after waiting 2 weeks to say out of stock till June.
              I use the Hurricane snooker glasses with the hinged arms. I have the Dennis Taylor kind as well but the hinged arm ones work much better for me.

Cliff

Comment

Originally Posted by cmccool View Post
                I use the Hurricane snooker glasses with the hinged arms. I have the Dennis Taylor kind as well but the hinged arm ones work much better for me.

Cliff
                Why does it work better for you?

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                  Only 52mm deep so wouldn't buy them myself. Google Rockspex. They sell 57mm deep.
                  http://www.sportsprescriptionglasses...roducts_id=457 you mean this?

Comment

Wow, that's the ones but I only paid £95 a couple of years ago. Once you start having problems with your sight it can take a bit of experimenting to find out what is the best solution for you. I was fairly happy with contact lenses but found it a bit of a nuisance putting them in and hence moved over to glasses.

Comment

I see they sell the Norville type glasses on the Spex4less site and they're cheaper. The say the depth is 56mm which is not too bad. I think the deeper the better but it may be dependent on how you sight. If you can get a look at Ronnie's famous 147 in 5 mins 20 secs you'll see he plays a guy called Nick Price. Nick is wearing snooker glasses and they appear to come right up over his eyebrows!
                      PS I don't like the Hurricane type which have been mentioned as the frame at the top gets in my line of sight.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                        Wow, that's the ones but I only paid £95 a couple of years ago. Once you start having problems with your sight it can take a bit of experimenting to find out what is the best solution for you. I was fairly happy with contact lenses but found it a bit of a nuisance putting them in and hence moved over to glasses.
                        Well, the thing is that the balls appear to be smaller when I play with glasses than with contacts. Do you expereince this? It is an advantage to see smaller since it is easier to hit the cue ball since the aiming area is smaller.

Comment

Well, the thing is that the balls appear to be smaller when I play with glasses than with contacts. Do you expereince this? It is an advantage to see smaller since it is easier to hit the cue ball since the aiming area is smaller.
                          That's because the lens is physically further away from your eye. If the contact lens was at the same distance. The ball would look smaller too.

Take your glasses off and move them away from your face to see the full effect.

Comment

Why does it work better for you?
                            I like the hurricane glasses because I can tilt them right back so they touch me eyebrows for those long shots where you are looking up and then tilt them back to a normal angle for regular shots. That way I am closer to a 90 degree angle through the glasses with less distortion than through fixed frame glasses.

Works girl me.

Cliff

Comment

Decisions, decisions... going to have think about it. It's a strange feeling that I pot the balls with much more confidence with glasses and even though I might look like a hipster or something, it's all about potting in the end

Comment

Working...
                              X