VIDEO: Loss of frame or poor play? Ronnie vs Mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIDEO: Loss of frame or poor play? Ronnie vs Mark

Shouldn't Ronnie have lost the frame for playing into the green here? What is the official rule? Mark Selby has every right not to take a free ball as he wishes.

Issue starts at 1:35

Last edited by thelongbomber; 19 May 2014, 09:27 PM.
    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Ronnie was being a 1st class pratt there, nothing new i suppose
    I think he should of been warned tho after his 1st hit at the green

Comment

Collier should have called the miss even after snookers were required here, as it was a blatant non-attempt. :wink:

Comment

Another example of Mark getting under Ronnies skin.
        After 15 reds and 15 blacks i did this http://youtu.be/DupuczMS2o4

Comment

Originally Posted by scottley View Post
          How is that Selby's fault lol, some people ehh

Comment

Ronnie's protest here was over the miss being called. He thought the snooker was basically impossible to hit, so he was asking Paul Collier why it was a miss.

Ronnie started rolling into the green because he was making the point that there was no way he could ever escape anyway.

I'm not saying who was right or wrong, but that's the issue Ronnie had.
            WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
            Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
            --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I think ROS just got overheated by Mark not wanting to take a free ball. I would imagine ROS hates that Mark plays so negative at times, but ROS shouldn't be bothered by Mark's negative playing tactics. MOST snooker players would take the free ball, and then find another snooker on the yellow, but in Mark's defense, his choice was actually smarter as it's pretty hard to improve upon the snooker that was already laid.

Comment

I don't think anybody would have taken the free ball there. Absolutely pointless.
                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

There is no doubt that he played into the green to give Selby an easy pot on a free ball to see if he would win the frame by potting a ball rather than using the miss rule to his advantage.

Its moments like this which is why the miss rule needs to be addressed in some way because I don't see how laying one snooker can result in someone winning a frame in points accumulated in a difficult situation such as this.

The honourable thing to do with the miss rule would be for all players to agree to a certain level of etiquette whereby they don't keep having the balls put back when their is a blatant pot on. The rule was not brought in to give a player an advantage, it was to stop the striker from gaining an advantage by missing the ball on and getting away with it. Well Ronnie missed but he didn't get away with it leaving a free ball situation and its that part he disagrees with and so do I.

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                    MOST snooker players would take the free ball, and then find another snooker on the yellow, but in Mark's defense, his choice was actually smarter as it's pretty hard to improve upon the snooker that was already laid.
                    I would say cowardly, not smarter, and again typical 8 ball pool tactics of using the rules to gain advantage rather than having the balls to take on the clearance.

If the miss rule has to stay then how about changing it so that points are only awarded for the first initial foul stroke, then balls can be replaced, then after a second miss a free ball is awarded no matter what the situation of the balls are, then after a third miss cue ball in hand awarded.
                    This would stop the laying of snookers only to gain points for misses, this would encourage players to take on the free ball and continue the frame, this would encourage players to try harder to hit the ball on knowing that cue ball in hand would be the end result if they didn't.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                      Ronnie was being a 1st class pratt there, nothing new i suppose
                      I think he should of been warned tho after his 1st hit at the green
                      rons in the entertainment industry, lets move on to the next frame, no problem, if that cant is incapable of taking a free bee.. but we know that you like looking at marx clomp about the table in pink wellies
                      Last edited by j6uk; 20 May 2014, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                        There is no doubt that he played into the green to give Selby an easy pot on a free ball to see if he would win the frame by potting a ball rather than using the miss rule to his advantage.
                        It IS to Mark's advantage by the very right that he played the snooker should earn the benefit

....accumulated in a difficult situation such as this.
                        It wasn't an impossible snooker. Hard yes, impossible no. Ronnie has played out of much more difficult positions. He could have gone 2/3 cushions twice across rather than trying to go one cushion.

It was to stop the striker from gaining an advantage by missing the ball on and getting away with it. Well Ronnie missed but he didn't get away with it leaving a free ball situation and its that part he disagrees with and so do I.
                        Exactly to stop ROS from continually missing. If a miss was NOT called, MS would be at a DISadvantage as getting from yellow to green is tough. And Ronnie DID initially get away with it. A free ball for most would be an advantage but MS would then still face the issue of how to get from green to yellow.

Anyways, point being, MS could have played more positive by taking a free ball at some point, and ROS could have played less negative, but actually trying to hit the yellow.

Comment

It IS to Mark's advantage by the very right that he played the snooker should earn the benefit

Original Source: VIDEO: Loss of frame or poor play? Ronnie vs Mark http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...#ixzz32HYEV1GK
                          - TSF - TheSnookerForum.co.uk
                          Follow us: @TheSnookerForum on Twitter | TheSnookerForum on Facebook
                          I agree with this as the rule stands, but should the rule stand as it is? Playing one shot shouldn't result in 30 or 40 points in fouls imo, especially as the same rule applies whether the snooker was played deliberately or fluked.

It wasn't an impossible snooker. Hard yes, impossible no. Ronnie has played out of much more difficult positions. He could have gone 2/3 cushions twice across rather than trying to go one cushion.

Original Source: VIDEO: Loss of frame or poor play? Ronnie vs Mark http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...#ixzz32HYj58cE
                          - TSF - TheSnookerForum.co.uk
                          Follow us: @TheSnookerForum on Twitter | TheSnookerForum on Facebook
                          Again, I agree, he could have gone twice across. However, more patient players than Ronnie have lost the plot when at the end of a hard fought frame lasting 45 minutes, somebody gets gifted the entire frame.

I don't blame Selby at all in this scenario, but think it illustrates exactly what's wrong with the miss rule as it's currently applied. When there's only one ball on I think the rule needs to be altered so that 3 misses are the limit. A minimum of 12 points would be gained, and the player returning to the table would still have the choice of taking any potential free ball, playing the shot or putting his opponent back in.
                          I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally Posted by scottley View Post
                            Not really! Just watch the following frame: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSrreQ94EPE

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
                              I agree with this as the rule stands, but should the rule stand as it is? Playing one shot shouldn't result in 30 or 40 points in fouls imo, especially as the same rule applies whether the snooker was played deliberately or fluked.

Again, I agree, he could have gone twice across. However, more patient players than Ronnie have lost the plot when at the end of a hard fought frame lasting 45 minutes, somebody gets gifted the entire frame.

I don't blame Selby at all in this scenario, but think it illustrates exactly what's wrong with the miss rule as it's currently applied. When there's only one ball on I think the rule needs to be altered so that 3 misses are the limit. A minimum of 12 points would be gained, and the player returning to the table would still have the choice of taking any potential free ball, playing the shot or putting his opponent back in.
                              I still have to disagree. Top pros are good enough to miss by the tiniest margins 3 times in a row.

Comment

Working...
                              X