Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip tips?

Hi,

I know this topic has been discussed here several times already but I just wanted a clarification on few things. I used to think that a soft tip is better than a rock hard one. But the general consensus seems to be the opposite here. Why is this?

I've been playing with a second hand 3/4 Peradon Century cue for quite some time now. When I got it I wasn't happy with the tip on it. I felt I couldn't do the screws I used to be able to do. After spending some time online searching for a better tip I eventually put a Kamui Black Medium on it. Took me a while to get it bedded in and into a shape that I liked but still I feel it's not much better if at all than the original tip (Elkmaster I think). Maybe it's the cue itself? Maybe it's my cueing gone worse?

I somehow tend to think that a softer tip would grip on the cue ball better and throw it into a stronger spin on release. I just ordered some Talisman Softs and a tip press. I've never used a tip press before and have no idea what the difference between a pressed and just plain shaped tip is so if anyone could shed some light here, I'd be grateful.

Cheers,
    Kari

I don't have a lot of experience with different tips. Always tended to use Elks. I too would like to know the answer to those questions.

Comment

There's only one real way of finding a tip that's suits you and your game, and that's to try as many as you can......

I recently finished my little quest of tip testing, and I've come full circle and come back to using Elks which suit me best!!

I will say one thing though my mate has just given me an Elk that's been in a tip press and it's been the best tip I've had since the one Trevor put on my new cue......
      Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
      Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Originally Posted by kbrown View Post
        ... I just ordered some Talisman Softs and a tip press....
        Are you aware that Talisman are laminated tips, and altho called "soft" they are rock hard !!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          Are you aware that Talisman are laminated tips, and altho called "soft" they are rock hard !!
          Ouch... Didn't know that. Might as well try them anyway as I already ordered them. What would be a truly soft tip then?

Comment

Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post
            There's only one real way of finding a tip that's suits you and your game, and that's to try as many as you can......

I recently finished my little quest of tip testing, and I've come full circle and come back to using Elks which suit me best!!

I will say one thing though my mate has just given me an Elk that's been in a tip press and it's been the best tip I've had since the one Trevor put on my new cue......

+1 i havent looked back since i started doing this and the tip's play superb

Comment

hi kbrown ,dont know if u can still get them but my mate used blue velvet tips .they were very soft .hope this helps .

Comment

I thought the Pool Baron tip was soft, available from adr
                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pool-Baron...item3a64472070

Comment

Pool Baron comes in Soft and Medium
                  warning - the soft is very very soft, I liked it very much for UK pool but after constant reshaping I got rid of it within six months and put a standard Elkmaster on which I would class a medium (edging to soft) which was perfect and is still on after a year plus.
                  I would think the Pool Baron Medium could be better but have not tried one.
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks guys. Pool Baron, Blue Velvet and a new Elk added to the list of potentials

Comment

I went through a few different tips recently ... Elk, pressed elk, blue diamond, talisman , master cue and kamui . For me the kamui is by far my favourite and I've ordered up a couple more as I doubt il be changing again for the foreseeable . With the kamui I get more reaction on the white with less effort than with the elks .

Comment

I just ordered 5 of the new Elk masters made for Ronnie from Stu Green, I will potting them from everywhere JRC....LOL
                        " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
                        " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
                        http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
                          I just ordered 5 of the new Elk masters made for Ronnie from Stu Green, I will potting them from everywhere JRC....LOL
                          I thought only Dave Coutts sold them ? or is that who you meant

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                            I thought only Dave Coutts sold them ? or is that who you meant
                            No I talked to Stu to see if he had any MW Tips and he said he was sold out but he said he had the Elk's so I thought I would try them.
                            " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
                            " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
                            http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

What are these new Elks you're talking about? Made for Ronnie? Somebody enlighten me?
                              WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                              Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X