Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/4 vs 1/2 jointed cues?

Hi,

Are there any advantages/disadvantages of having a 3/4 jointed cue instead of the joint in the middle?

The reason I ask is because I was dumb enough to buy a case for a middle jointed cue while my cue is actually a 3/4 jointed one So I've got two options: Either sell the case or get a new cue that fits inside it

Btw, do let me know if you're in the UK and are in the market of buying a cue case. The case in question is this: http://www.peradon.co.uk/cue-cases/t...).aspx#product

Cheers,
    Kari

Well I decided to order a custom made cue which will fit inside the case so the sale is off for now. Can't wait to try the new cue

Comment

Going by the top pros, I don't believe any in recent memory have played with a 1/2 jointed cue except Mark Williams a few years back. They all typically use 3/4 and one piece cues. Reason being you can (in theory and practice) get more feel and touch without a joint. One piece cues, however, tend to have issue with being slightly too light so 3/4 joints are often used. All cues resonate with a unique vibration when striking the white ball and so any joints can typically reduce this feel back into your cueing hand. When selecting cues, it's the shaft and overall balance that a real enthusiast worries about. Inlays, butt woods, and design are generally secondary to these two concerns.
      Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
      My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

You bought the wrong length case for your cue and you considered selling your cue. That's a new on on me.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
          You bought the wrong length case for your cue and you considered selling your cue. That's a new on on me.
          I'm assuming the OP hasn't already become accustomed with his new cue?

Comment

My very first cue was a 1/2 jointed BCC Ray Reardon cue. It wasn't a top of the line cue but the joint in the center never really bothered me. I now have a 3/4 Peradon Century which I bought cheap from a colleague. For some reason I've never liked it too much so I was going to get a new one at some point anyway. Buying the wrong case gave me the perfect excuse to actually get a new cue so I thought I'd get a custom one with my own specs and the joint in the center. Bit silly I know but at least I should get a very good quality cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by kbrown View Post
              My very first cue was a 1/2 jointed BCC Ray Reardon cue. It wasn't a top of the line cue but the joint in the center never really bothered me. I now have a 3/4 Peradon Century which I bought cheap from a colleague. For some reason I've never liked it too much so I was going to get a new one at some point anyway. Buying the wrong case gave me the perfect excuse to actually get a new cue so I thought I'd get a custom one with my own specs and the joint in the center. Bit silly I know but at least I should get a very good quality cue.
              Okay. Fair enough. I hope you like your new cue

Comment

For some reason I've never liked it too much so I was going to get a new one at some point anyway.
                Once it gets into your brain that your cue isn't quite right, you will never play at your best. Under pressure, that tiny little doubt will make you miss. I know the feeling as I'm there now

Comment

Who's making your cue KBrown?
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                    Who's making your cue KBrown?
                    I went with Peradon as their turn around time is pretty quick. They have this service available: http://www.cuewizard.co.uk/

It's going to be a 58" 18oz ash shaft cue with hand spliced ebony butt with kingwood & plum veneer decorations and a starndard 9.5mm tip. Should have it within 3-5 weeks.

Comment

I have seen three Peradons and had a hit with two, one a King, can't remember the second, but it felt very very nice but a bit heavy for me, the third was and still is used by the six time Cumbrian county champion, Mike Nixon, it's the model with the diamond shaped badge, didn't get a hit with that one, but he's apparently had loads and loads of 147 s so if it's good enough for him it can't be bad lol.
                      Best of luck, it's unusual for someone to go down the centre joint road nowadays.
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I went with Peradon as their turn around time is pretty quick. They have this service available: http://www.cuewizard.co.uk/

It's going to be a 58" 18oz ash shaft cue with hand spliced ebony butt with kingwood & plum veneer decorations and a starndard 9.5mm tip. Should have it within 3-5 weeks.
                        I played with a 3/4 Peradon for a while. They are great cues. Wish you the best for this cue when it arrives. Could you please take some photos so we can see what it looks like and post them up (or send the pics to me and I will do that for you)? Would be beneficial for members to see what the cue looks like and it's price.

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                          Once it gets into your brain that your cue isn't quite right, you will never play at your best. Under pressure, that tiny little doubt will make you miss. I know the feeling as I'm there now

This is why I can't bring myself to buy a new cue . I have a lower range mastercue but it feels perfect . No matter how bad I play I never think my cue is at fault .

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                            This is why I can't bring myself to buy a new cue . I have a lower range mastercue but it feels perfect . No matter how bad I play I never think my cue is at fault .
                            If it feels perfect, then do nothing else and just keep at it A cue is very individual and if you feel the balance, weight, tip size are ideal, it's hard to find a replacement. I have considered doing some modifications on my cue, but then I go to the club and I don't feel so bad about it anymore.

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                              Could you please take some photos so we can see what it looks like and post them up (or send the pics to me and I will do that for you)? Would be beneficial for members to see what the cue looks like and it's price.
                              Sure thing. If you use the above link and go through each step, it will eventually give you a quote. The quote of my configuration was £233.
                              Last edited by kbrown; 13 June 2014, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X