Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it make sense to have your own balls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it make sense to have your own balls?

Been pondering if I should get a set of Belgian Aramith Tournament Champion Balls or not. There seems to be some on sale on eBay from time to time. Are these considerably better than average club balls or should I only be looking at the best of the best 1G balls which are more expensive... Any input is welcome...

It depends - I think yes if you play on a fast cloth nice match table most of the time and no if you play on a slow poor club table.

Comment

Yes, it definitely does make sense. I have my own set of tournament champion and have done for years. Saves playing with rubbish club balls with ridiculously light whites so you cant have a proper game. If I had plenty of spare cash id get the 1g balls but not gonna pay £180+ when the tournament champion balls are perfectly fine.
      2013/2014 Season Event Predictor Winner!

Comment

Another "it depends" from me! If you play at a good club where the balls are in good nick then ok but if they're all chipped and different weights then you're best to get a set of your own. Doesn't have to be the 1g ones. I think a lot of Forum members have been to clubs where some of the reds are pinkish in colour and others are closer to brown. Lol. Nothing better than playing with a shiney set of TC's.

Comment

I tried but got ribbed too much, still sneak my own white in though! Lol
          No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

I usually play with the balls that are there but the last 3 time's i have asked to borrow the tc and there is a massive difference. the club balls we have are very shoddy, dirty with loads of chips in the balls so playing with the tc you can really tell the difference.

I am going to buy my own set though as the owner doesn't like lending them out

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
              I tried but got ribbed too much, still sneak my own white in though! Lol
              Probably depends on the standard of players doing the ribbing! Im sure there are players out there that would laugh at you for bringing your own cue lol!
              2013/2014 Season Event Predictor Winner!

Comment

At my old club we were stuck with using crappy club balls to play with, BUT come league night or competitions we were suddenly presented with a box or 2 of TC balls !!! so nobody could play with them as they react so differently, the decent players soon started buying their own set in a nice case obviously, it then became the situation where you got ribbed if you DIDN'T have your own set if you want to be a decent player i think it's essential to use TC's
                Talking of cases i have a couple on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2615128516...84.m1586.l2649
                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2615128603...84.m1586.l2649

Comment

Bought a set a couple of months back, great decision, the club balls are premiers, jump around all over the place , now if I play with them it feels like playing with a Ping Ping ball, the TCs are great on club tables as long as you cue nicely.
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by dieselman147 View Post
                    Yes, it definitely does make sense. I have my own set of tournament champion and have done for years. Saves playing with rubbish club balls with ridiculously light whites so you cant have a proper game. If I had plenty of spare cash id get the 1g balls but not gonna pay £180+ when the tournament champion balls are perfectly fine.

Yep agree with you .
                    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

As far as I can work out TCs and 1Gs are roughly the same price, but you have to pay for the case with 1Gs and that's where the extra fifty quid or so goes.
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I don't think it is that simple, I am sure Aramith charge I bit more for the extra time sorting out the weight of each ball to get the 1G range for a set
                        But for club I would go for a standard Aramith TC set (3g range) as you probably wont notice any difference from a 1g range and get a descent case yourself (by all reports the 1g ali case is not much cop).

I have a 3g set in a Peradon case, and will be taking them out tonight as usual, much nicer to play and confidence in the gentle rollers to the pockets are great
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Got lucky and won a set of used TC balls on eBay for under £30 + p&p. They're in pretty good shape. Shall be playing with them later today

Comment

Bringing your own cue ball isn't really gonna help...

Ah, as I type this, I have noticed that you have bought a used set. They will be better than a club set that's been mix and matched but not as good as a new set.

I play a lot and swap my set every couple of years... There is a noticeable decline in their playability after a while.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                              As far as I can work out TCs and 1Gs are roughly the same price, but you have to pay for the case with 1Gs and that's where the extra fifty quid or so goes.
                              Exactly, they're all the same balls just weight sorted so the 1g are within 1g (no sh1t sherlock!!) and the standard tc's are within 3g. Lotta dosh for a fancy case....

Comment

Working...
                              X