Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules question about the start of a frame

3. Mode of Play

(c) The first player plays from in-hand, the frame commencing when the cue-ball has been placed on the table and contacted by the tip of the cue either:
    (i) as a stroke is made; or
    (ii) while addressing the cue-ball.

Is this literal?

Does this mean the frame does not commence until the above happens?

If so, does that mean it's not a foul if the striker touches another ball when placing the cue-ball in the D on the table?

Tim
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

The way I read that , I would say that your assumption is correct .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerdad View Post
      Does this mean the frame does not commence until the above happens?

If so, does that mean it's not a foul if the striker touches another ball when placing the cue-ball in the D on the table?

Tim
      Yes Tim. The frame does not start until either a) or b) happens, so anything before then cannot be a foul.

Comment

Great. Thanks.
        http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

I was told that under the latest rules the match hasn't started until the player has hit the white and the white has made contact legally with a red. So if you miscue and don't hit the reds its no longer a foul, the player can pick the white up and try again !!!!
          Also it is no longer a foul to push the white forward in the D with the tip of the cue as long as the Ref knows that your not taking a shot. (This has always been the case in Billiards)

Comment

Originally Posted by muzicman147 View Post
            I was told that under the latest rules the match hasn't started until the player has hit the white and the white has made contact legally with a red. So if you miscue and don't hit the reds its no longer a foul, the player can pick the white up and try again !!!!
            Also it is no longer a foul to push the white forward in the D with the tip of the cue as long as the Ref knows that your not taking a shot. (This has always been the case in Billiards)
            No, that is NOT the case. Tim has quoted the relevant rule in his OP.

With regard to your second point, unlike World Rules pool, it is possible to touch the cue ball with the tip of the cue, as long as the referee is satisfied that your not addressing the ball (ie cueing up to make a stroke).

Comment

Working...
            X