No announcement yet.

Referees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the penalty points are clearly defined in the Rules and there is a definition repeated a few times "value of ball on or higher value"

in your scenario - ball on Red, ball first hit - Blue - penalty points = 5 for the blue,
    subsequent contacts do not count
    subsequent pocketing do count (i.e the Blue hit then knocks the Black in to a pocket) - penalty points = 7

the refereee call will be "Foul" then wait for all balls to come to rest; "Five" for the Blue foul, and "Seven" for the Black

in Pro matches the Referee, says "Foul, Joe Bloggs (end of break score), Ronnie O'Sullivan five" when Joe Bloggs fouls at the end of a break.
    Last edited by DeanH; 10 September 2014, 09:38 AM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I understand the penalty points, but I just wanted to know how the crowd for example knows if the cue ball hit the blue or the black ball first if the referee only says "foul" rather than "foul 7 away" if the black was hit first.
      My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
      I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
        I understand the penalty points, but I just wanted to know how the crowd for example knows if the cue ball hit the blue or the black ball first if the referee only says "foul" rather than "foul 7 away" if the black was hit first.
        As Dean has already said. As soon as the cue ball strikes the black then he'd call foul. Once all balls have stopped moving and any equipment has been removed from the table etc, then he'd say "Joe Blogs 33, John Smith 7". Joe is being awarded 33 for his break up to the shot before the foul, and John is getting seven points for the foul.

The penalty is not announced until the end of the stroke as a further foul might be committed which has a higher penalty. For example, red is ball on. Player clips the brown on the way to the red and then it cannons into the black and knocks the black in the pocket. The referee wouldn't say "foul, four away" at the first foul because he'd have egg on his face when he then has to correct himself and award a seven point penalty for the black being pocketed.

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
          :blush" yes I realised that after I sent the first reply

the call is always "Foul" immediately after the event, then after all balls have come to rest then the higher value penalty points is called.

So it is "Foul, (pause) Five"

obviously with mates it is often "you t***, that's five to me" dancing to the score board merrily
          Last edited by DeanH; 10 September 2014, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by SnkrRef View Post
            As Dean has already said. As soon as the cue ball strikes the black then he'd call foul. Once all balls have stopped moving and any equipment has been removed from the table etc, then he'd say "Joe Blogs 33, John Smith 7". Joe is being awarded 33 for his break up to the shot before the foul, and John is getting seven points for the foul.

The penalty is not announced until the end of the stroke as a further foul might be committed which has a higher penalty. For example, red is ball on. Player clips the brown on the way to the red and then it cannons into the black and knocks the black in the pocket. The referee wouldn't say "foul, four away" at the first foul because he'd have egg on his face when he then has to correct himself and award a seven point penalty for the black being pocketed.
            Thanks !!

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            :blush" yes I realised that after I sent the first reply

the call is always "Foul" immediately after the event, then after all balls have come to rest then the higher value penalty points is called.

So it is "Foul, (pause) Five"

obviously with mates it is often "you t***, that's five to me" dancing to the score board merrily
            An old guy at the club does a "how sweet it is" impression of Jackie Gleason every time someone goes in-off.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
            I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

If an opponent is on a break of say 16 and then is on the blue but pots the black by mistake . We would say "16 for 7" Or if they go in off a red or something it would be eg "18 for 4"

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                If an opponent is on a break of say 16 and then is on the blue but pots the black by mistake . We would say "16 for 7" Or if they go in off a red or something it would be eg "18 for 4"
                Sounds like you are playing cricket not snooker

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                  some of my mates say "16 gives 4"

Comment

Yes, I find that to be the general practice in social games.

Comment

Referees

it does seem to be a common call in social games

the worst I have heard was, after a break and then a foul was "oh what a shame, you had a nice break but you lose all that and I get 7"
                      oh I was so close to shout across the hall to correct them !

Comment

the worst I have heard was, after a break and then a foul was "oh what a shame, you had a nice break but you lose all that and I get 7"
                        Oh dear... and I bet they've been playing for years too. Frightening how some people don't even know some of the basics of the rules.

Comment

That would mean you could go in off the last black of a 147 and lose the frame!

That's how I would call it.
                          On a side note I have just figured out how to do multiple quotes, get ready for a spate of them lol.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Referees

they were the same couple who I heard say "black ball game" and one guy fouled and he then said "now you have to pot" and the black was on the cushion with no where to pot. and then the other guy pots and (to them) wins!
                            again, bite tongue
                            and yes (no offense to anyone reading this) both are older persons

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

That would mean you could go in off the last black of a 147 and lose the frame!

That's how I would call it.
                              On a side note I have just figured out how to do multiple quotes, get ready for a spate of them lol.
                              multiple quotes -well done

Comment

multiple quotes -well done
                                errr ... any chance you computer geniuses could enlighten us dummies?

I can do multi-quote and then reply but that doesn't do the clever quote within quote stuff you do ... the only way I know to do it is with an awful lot of really hard copy and paste stuff ...

Comment

Working...
                                X