Referees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Referees

Is it officially in the rules that a ref must call the break score out loud?, can you ask him to keep it in his mind as it is putting you off.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

No it is not explicitly stated in the rules that the referee must call out the score after each stroke. However, in the rule book introduced in 2011 there is a list of things that determine when a stroke is complete, one of which is:

2.6(c) AND (iv): the referee has called any score relevant to the stroke.

The calling of the score is usually the last thing that the referee does after spotting balls, putting away rests etc, and is an indication that it is ok to play the next shot.

Calling the score also gives both (all) players (and marker if there is one) chance to check the score as the break progresses. Referees are only human and I've witnessed quite a few disputes over scores even when the scores have been called as the break is made, and I can only imagine that there would be more instances if the referee remained silent.

Comment

Thanks for the answer SnkrRef.

Comment

Just as a follow-up comment to this:

I would encourage anyone serious about progressing to a reasonable level, to play friendly practice frames with the opponent calling out the scores. Not only will it get you used to hearing it after every shot, but it will help you to handle the pressure of, for example, hearing your highest break approaching.

And, of course, you're more likely to notice if he miscounts.

Comment

Referees

I was going to reply to the original post and SnkrRef replied literally word for word that I was planning to
          With my friends playing we always call the break even if it it only two of us, to get used to the call and to confirm the break as it progresses and it helps both people in my opinion. More benefit than detriment I feel.
          itsnoteasy - do it for every frame you play and I hope you will get used to it and also become reliant on it so your game gets better as your start to accept it when at the table.
          Last edited by DeanH; 9 September 2014, 08:09 PM.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Also, even if practicing by yourself with a regular rack or the line-up call your own score out loud (I do it after each colour)

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              Also, even if practicing by yourself with a regular rack or the line-up call your own score out loud (I do it after each colour)

Terry
              I do it after every red
              as that is as far as I get

joking

Comment

I don't keep score as I play, even when playing someone, the break score is just a by product of me potting and getting position on the next ball so that's the only thing I'm interested in. When practicing say the line up ,I haven't a clue what score I get, I just know roughly 13 reds and colours or above gives me a century.
                I should say my opponent keeps the score, I just tune it out.

Comment

I almost always read people's score out loud when I'm playing a session with them.

The only time I don't, is when I can clearly see my opponent is struggling, and then I'll just keep track myself and hopefully, they can then knock a few balls in and get some confidence without worrying about the break.

Obviously I only do that in practice lol. In matches I read it out super loud
                  WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                  Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

When I score I always call out the opponents score "1 scored, 8 scored, 9 scored". My friend said I should only say "1, 8, 9 scored".

Is there a correct way?

I should say he often forgets to score my breaks. "Was that a blue or a black you got"

Also, when a foul occurs do you say "foul 4 away"?

Thanks!
                    My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

the call of a break in progress is just the number, and then at the end of the break (officially) it is "Joe Bloggs, 134"
                      but with mates it is usually "just the 1"

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        the call of a break in progress is just the number, and then at the end of the break (officially) it is "Joe Bloggs, 134"
                        but with mates it is usually "just the 1"
                        I have a friend that says "none scored"
                        My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                          I have a friend that says "none scored"
                          we sometimes say "nil pointe" (a la Eurovision Song contest)

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                            When I score I always call out the opponents score "1 scored, 8 scored, 9 scored". My friend said I should only say "1, 8, 9 scored".

Is there a correct way?

I should say he often forgets to score my breaks. "Was that a blue or a black you got"

Also, when a foul occurs do you say "foul 4 away"?

Thanks!
                            There is no correct way set in stone, but best practice is just to say one, eight, nine, 16 etc. If properly refereeing, at the end of the break it would be "Joe Bloggs 16".

You never say "four away" on a foul, and you don't do what Len Ganley nearly always did and say "foul stroke" either. The rules actual say the referee shall call "foul' as soon as he sees an infringement of the rules. (Or "Foul and a Miss").

Comment

Originally Posted by SnkrRef View Post
                              You never say "four away" on a foul, and you don't do what Len Ganley nearly always did and say "foul stroke" either. The rules actual say the referee shall call "foul' as soon as he sees an infringement of the rules. (Or "Foul and a Miss").
                              How does the player, opponent and spectators know how many points the foul was worth? Say the player is on a red and hits the blue just before the black? Doesn't everyone want to know if it was a five or say 7 point foul?

Comment

Working...
                              X