Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missed Ball Question

Good day everyone,

Was playing a match today and required a snooker (was down by 14) with only the black and pink left on the table. So I got the snooker behind the black, opponent played and missed pink. Pink and black remained undisturbed and cue ball travelled to the far end of table with pink and black at the other end. We play resets and this is where the issue arises. I wanted him to reset the white and attempt the snooker again. He said that was not an option in this scenario and I could either take the shot at the pink or have him shoot again from where the cue ball landed. If someone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Steve

When at the snookers required stage, which you were, you do not call a "miss", so he was right
    (i think lol, we not play the miss rule at all)

Comment

Originally Posted by Samsonvs View Post
      Good day everyone,

Was playing a match today and required a snooker (was down by 14) with only the black and pink left on the table. So I got the snooker behind the black, opponent played and missed pink. Pink and black remained undisturbed and cue ball travelled to the far end of table with pink and black at the other end. We play resets and this is where the issue arises. I wanted him to reset the white and attempt the snooker again. He said that was not an option in this scenario and I could either take the shot at the pink or have him shoot again from where the cue ball landed. If someone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
      Steve
      Yep as said foul no miss as at the snookers required stage

Comment

perhaps if you are unsure of the miss rule you shouldn't enforce it

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          When at the snookers required stage, which you were, you do not call a "miss"
          Is this because one would not "intentionally" miss in that scenario? Is the spirit of the miss rule intended to prevent good players from purposefully miss playing a shot?

Comment

Originally Posted by chessking View Post
            Is this because one would not "intentionally" miss in that scenario? Is the spirit of the miss rule intended to prevent good players from purposefully miss playing a shot?
            funny one this if its a tough snooker you might probably be going to miss it any way so you would want to miss it and leave it safe

Comment

As already stated. No miss because you're at snookers required. Why play a rule (especially the miss rule) if you're not fully clued up on it
              Last edited by Tony Morgan; 13 October 2014, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much for the answers gents. The chap I play against (who also realized the proper ruling) has us playing the miss rule so that it takes away blatant misses to safety. To be honest my hit ratio from being in a snooker position has increased exponentially since we started playing this way. I just found it odd that a player can theoretically miss and place the other into a safety situation.

Comment

is a gentlemen game. so it has to be following the rules set there though. that's also how snooker has changed during the 90s to modern snooker game.

Comment

Originally Posted by chessking View Post
                    The slightly odd thing is that the rules say (paraphrased) that there need to be sufficient points on the table for BOTH players to win (without a re-spotted black) BOTH before AND after the stroke. It might be beneficial for a player who is say 35 or more points ahead with just the last red left, to play a subtle deliberate foul, knowing that he can't be called for a miss.

Comment

I know this is 2 months old but just to point out: a miss CAN be called when snookers are required, if it is deemed that a player has not make a genuine attempt to play for the object ball then this is a miss, this is to stop someone playing a deliberate foul and leaving the opponent in a situation like the one you had (however this must be a blatant miss on purpose for this to happen).

Comment

Originally Posted by chris0107 View Post
                        I know this is 2 months old but just to point out: a miss CAN be called when snookers are required, if it is deemed that a player has not make a genuine attempt to play for the object ball then this is a miss, this is to stop someone playing a deliberate foul and leaving the opponent in a situation like the one you had (however this must be a blatant miss on purpose for this to happen).
                        Yes I had this situation called against me - I was snookered behind the black leading by 20 with just pink n black left touching each other and just played to the opposite side of table to avoid leaving a free ball or hitting the black and leaving a free ball. I did not do it with malice I was just thinking frame was over really and was thinking a miss could not be called but it was it was called a miss because I had not made a genuine attempt to hit it. I was put back I hit the black on the second attempt splitting both balls leaving them on and lost the frame and it served me right

Ps snooker ref - can you tell me in snooker if all spots are covered a colour is re spotted nearest its own spot in a direct line behind it without touching another ball so if the yellow green or brown is behind it seen as being on the baulk line going towards the middle of the table or behind it going towards the top cushion?

Got queried last night as I said I thought it was towards the black blue middle of the table - and the other guy said behind the yellow was towards the top cushion if you get me?
                        Last edited by Byrom; 10 December 2014, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                          Ps snooker ref - can you tell me in snooker if all spots are covered a colour is re spotted nearest its own spot in a direct line behind it without touching another ball so if the yellow green or brown is behind it seen as being on the baulk line going towards the middle of the table or behind it going towards the top cushion?
                          The Yellow, Green or Brown would go towards the middle of the table, as the baulk line is at the the top end of the table, then behind this would be towards the bottom of the table (black end)

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                            Got queried last night as I said I thought it was towards the black blue middle of the table - and the other guy said behind the yellow was towards the top cushion if you get me?
                            The top cushion is the cushion near the black spot. In billiards, top of the table play revolves around the black spot.
                            The yellow, brown and green balls are placed along the baulk line. The baulk cushion is not the top of the table.

In your example, the ball would be replaced towards the top of the table.
                            My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                            I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by chris0107 View Post
                              The Yellow, Green or Brown would go towards the middle of the table, as the baulk line is at the the top end of the table, then behind this would be towards the bottom of the table (black end)
                              No, the baulk line is at the bottom end of the table.

The black spot (or billiards spot) is at the top of the table.

Yes, the ball would be replaced towards the black spot end of the table.
                              Last edited by mythman69; 10 December 2014, 02:05 PM.
                              My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                              I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Working...
                              X