Funny rule.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny rule.

I were in an snooker comp for the deaf, I was in second round that led to the semi-final.
    Anyway, here's what happened.. It was down to the last ball, black which I potted it successfully and I won it, I put my cue on the table. As I were about to handshake him, someone tapped me on my shoulders to warn me that the White ball still roll and hit my cue. And it's hit. Suddenly the people surrounding the table arguing about snooker rules, at the end, they decide I am lost by additional 7 points awarded to my opponent. For hit the White ball? Where is the rule? The White ball were not in the line to the pot. Can you clarify the snooker rule? Be aware I am profoundly deaf, thank and I appreciate the comments positively.

I think they were right , I don't think the shot ends untill White ball stops rolling. say the cue ball was heading for a pocket and your cue stopped it going in, I think that's why the shot can not be over untill it comes to rest, so unfortunately it hitting your cue is a foul, but if you were more than seven points up at the time I don't think it would matter.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Itsnoteasy is correct. Technically it is a foul. However, there have been instances of frames shown on tv where a player has done this and not been penalised if it was clear that the cue ball was going anywhere near a pocket. It's a little harsh to strictly apply the rule where there was no danger of any other foul being committed and perhaps a situation where common sense should prevail.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        I think they were right , I don't think the shot ends untill White ball stops rolling. say the cue ball was heading for a pocket and your cue stopped it going in, I think that's why the shot can not be over untill it comes to rest, so unfortunately it hitting your cue is a foul, but if you were more than seven points up at the time I don't think it would matter.
        Wouldn't it be until the player moves away from the table?

Imagine a situation where you are cueing across the pack. You pot the black and the cue ball stops, but then you drop your cue onto the pack of reds.

7 point foul I would guess.
        My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
        I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Thank for information that you did clarifying it. Next time, I'd better not put my cue on the table or hidden under the cushion wall until the White ball come to rest

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post

Imagine a situation where you are cueing across the pack. You pot the black and the cue ball stops, but then you drop your cue onto the pack of reds.

7 point foul I would guess.
            That's fair enough in that situation, but there are no balls left on the table in this situation.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
              A striker's turn does not end "until the final stroke, or foul, of his turn is complete and the referee is satisfied that he has finally left the table.". Ref: 2.5.

A stroke though is not ended until (2.6(c)):
              (i) all balls have come to rest;
              (ii) the striker has stood up, in readiness for a succeeding stroke, or leaving the table;
              (iii) any equipment being used by the striker has been removed from a hazardous position; and
              (iv) the referee has called any score relevant to the stroke.

In the OP's scenario, although the striker has left the table, his last stroke is not ended until the cue ball comes to rest, so his turn hasn't ended when the cue ball hits the cue.

Comment

Working...
              X