bedding in a new tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bedding in a new tip

Im planning to put a new (elkmaster) tip on my cue - how long do you think it takes to bed in a new tip? I always find it is a while before it feels just right but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on how long it should take or how I should go about bedding it in ie just playing with it or go and do some routines and knock in a couple of hundred balls or so?
    Smee

go and play some nice firm shots , after a while it will prob be worn one side , dont file it level , turn the cue so you are making contact with the high point

Comment

Remember reading somewhere a good way is to tap it firmly with a piece of wood all round for a few minutes

Comment

so you mean keep turning it and wearing t down the sides so that eventually all sides are worn and the tip if effectively domed?

Smee

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
          so you mean keep turning it and wearing t down the sides so that eventually all sides are worn and the tip if effectively domed?

Smee
          You're not trying to dome the tip. Just make sure you're not tapping it one sided.

Comment

Just so its even all round , some file the high spot down , by doing this your loosening the fibres and making it softer .

Comment

Or you could knock it with a cue ball or hammer , not too hard and make sure the cue is off the floor .

Comment

and presumably softer is a bad thing?

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
                  and presumably softer is a bad thing?
                  it will wear down quicker if you keep disturbing the fibres .

Comment

Clamp it in a tip vice first before you put it on - job done

Comment

I use an empty beer bottle to compress and shape a new tip. Just keep tapping the edge of the tip with the bottle. You also get to enjoy a nice refreshing beverage.

Comment

Im not sure if I'm perhaps not explaining myself correctly as some of the answers suggest I'm maybe not.. Im not trying to ensure it is adhered well enough to the cue, that I can do (I have access to a tip clamp for example) - what I'm asking does a tip need bedding in before it is ready to play at its best - ie doesn't it need used in practice, or if it is glued and secured cant it simply be played with in match for example straight away?
                        Smee

Comment

well after clamping I attach with loctite super glue gel shape it up - burnish - and give it a try out - usually ok although you get an odd duffer too hard too soft or whatever.

Trial n error with elks I am afraid.

Comment

Yes, needs to be bedded in, especially if one of the softer elks that invariably turn up in a box. Best way is to get a white ball and whack it down, cue upright and off the floor and turning the tip constantly to get an even spread. This is faster than playing with it. Doing this will either mushroom the tip a little (if it's soft this happens), then reshape to correct shape and go play. One solid session or two after that should be enough unless it's a marshmallow tip which isn't something you want unless that's how you roll.

It's bedded in when it stops changing shape, some tips don't need much bedding in, obviously the harder the tip the less bedding required.

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                              Trial n error with elks I am afraid.
                              This!! But when it's right, it's RIGHT!

Comment

Working...
                              X