Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubts about what cue and cue tips - Need help

Hi,

I'm a semi-professional portuguese player of American Pool and Pool (8 ball, 9 ball and 10 ball). I compete to qualification to VNEA Las Vegas, national competition and to qualification to European Championships.

Now I enter in one Snooker competition, a very different game, but since I start play more snooker, in the competitions I compete more, I see a huge diference in defensive game, I'm a lot stronger than before. since this time I play 2 snooker games in competition and won both. But I use one loan cue. I´m weak (the maximum break was 65 points, only one time, and the rest the best breaks were between 20 and 30 points), and I note I need one snooker cue to help me develop more in this game.

In this moment I need to buy a snooker cue to me (I have all material to pool game, pool and break cues) but to snooker I don't have nothing.

My budget is maximum 90£. Until this budget what cues do you think can be good to me? I only know one or two brands and I think weren´t good (Riley and BCE).

The second question is the cue tip you think are good to snooker (I know only cue tips to pool cues, but to snooker I don´t know).

In UK this game is huge, in Portugal is only giving the first steps.

Thanks. Waiting one answer.

Best regards,

Rui

Original Source: Snooker Questions - Post New Thread http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...#ixzz3M3zGzNjR
    - TSF - TheSnookerForum.co.uk
    Follow us: @TheSnookerForum on Twitter | TheSnookerForum on Facebook

It's a very broad question I'm afraid.

The correct answer is different for every player as there is a great variety in cues and tips with no combinations ever alike...

Elkmaster tips have been the gold standard for pressed tips for some time now. If you prefer a firmer tip I would go for a pro granite...

Then there are layered tips which hold their shape and last longer but are much firmer... Talisman soft is a good starting point if you were to try them.

With regard to cues, for that budget I would hunt around for a good second hand one and see if you can find one you get along with.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but there really is no uniform answer.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Only one question. Where can I find good second hand snooker cues, trustable, can you help me on that? With this budget I know that isn´t easy to buy a nice new cue.

Related to brands can you tell some Snooker brands, you know that are good (and that I can bye in first or second hand with my budget)?

Related to tips, in Pool I use one ultra skin pro Soft tip, because of that, maybe Elkmaster or Talisman are good to me?

Thanks, I appreciate all your help.

Best regards,

Rui

Comment

Originally Posted by RuiF211287 View Post
        Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Only one question. Where can I find good second hand snooker cues, trustable, can you help me on that? With this budget I know that isn´t easy to buy a nice new cue.

Related to brands can you tell some Snooker brands, you know that are good (and that I can bye in first or second hand with my budget)?

Related to tips, in Pool I use one ultra skin pro Soft tip, because of that, maybe Elkmaster or Talisman are good to me?

Thanks, I appreciate all your help.

Best regards,

Rui
        Contact ADR147 on here as he may have a used cue within your budget. Another option would be greenbaize.com however you may have to pay a bit more as his large selection of cues are all new. You will need to know what your specifications for a cue are, like length (58" in normal, but your height and arm length could change that up or down), tip/ferrule size (9.5mm is normal but as a pool player you may prefer a slightly larger tip - maybe 10mm), weight (somewhere around 18oz is normal), butt diameter (29-30mm is normal) and if you know it the shaft flex (medium, medium-stiff or stiff).

I have used Talisman Soft tips for years but have tried out other types and if you know what you are doing in relation to tips they all become a personal choice too.

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

What Terry said really... Best to pop along and try a few out if you're on a budget, although in Portugal it may be tough.

Comment

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your help. How can I contact ADR147? Thanks,

Rui

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              Contact ADR147 on here as he may have a used cue within your budget. Another option would be greenbaize.com however you may have to pay a bit more as his large selection of cues are all new. You will need to know what your specifications for a cue are, like length (58" in normal, but your height and arm length could change that up or down), tip/ferrule size (9.5mm is normal but as a pool player you may prefer a slightly larger tip - maybe 10mm), weight (somewhere around 18oz is normal), butt diameter (29-30mm is normal) and if you know it the shaft flex (medium, medium-stiff or stiff).

I have used Talisman Soft tips for years but have tried out other types and if you know what you are doing in relation to tips they all become a personal choice too.

Terry
              Hi Terry,

Well I was seeing and I arranje here in Portugal one second hand Snooker cue Adam (from one player I know here), 3/4 cue with tip size 9,5 with 18 oz´s and about 57'' length. It have one Elkmaster tip. It costs me 64£ and is in great shape. I play one competition game (I only try the cue during 20minutes before the game), won 2-0 and make a 41points break. What do you think of this cue?

Thanks,

Rui

Comment

Obviously, if you were able to put together a 41 break then you can use the cue just fine and perhaps it suits you. As has been said above each player will have his own likes and dislikes regarding cues and what suits me may not suit you.

However, there is one important point I should make. Whatever cue you choose to play with you should stick with it and allow yourself to get used to it as you will find you will play better and better with it as you learn that cue's specifications.

Elm Master tips should cost around 1GBP if you buy them individually and cheaper if you buy a number of them, like 10 or so. I don't use the Elk Master tips as I have found they need re-shaping after a bit of use whereas generally the layered tips do not, but the layered tips like Talisman are much more expensive, even if you buy them in bulk.

You can contact ADR147 on here, but as you only have 4 posts you cannot PM him yet, not until you get 10 posts.

Terry
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Obviously, if you were able to put together a 41 break then you can use the cue just fine and perhaps it suits you. As has been said above each player will have his own likes and dislikes regarding cues and what suits me may not suit you.

However, there is one important point I should make. Whatever cue you choose to play with you should stick with it and allow yourself to get used to it as you will find you will play better and better with it as you learn that cue's specifications.

Elm Master tips should cost around 1GBP if you buy them individually and cheaper if you buy a number of them, like 10 or so. I don't use the Elk Master tips as I have found they need re-shaping after a bit of use whereas generally the layered tips do not, but the layered tips like Talisman are much more expensive, even if you buy them in bulk.

You can contact ADR147 on here, but as you only have 4 posts you cannot PM him yet, not until you get 10 posts.

Terry
                  Hi Terry,

Yes I like the cue, is great (and I think a good deal). But as I tell before, I play for some years with Soft tips in Pool, so I think I will play better with soft tips, because I´m used to that kind of tips in Pool. I know is a lot different. What kind of soft tips you think are good? The Ultraskin Pro tip that I use in Pool costs me 11£. The Talisman tip is for that kind of price?

Thanks.

Rui

Comment

You can contact ADR147 on here, but as you only hav44e 4 posts you cannot PM him yet, not until you get 10 posts.

Terry
                    Hi Terry,

Yes I like the cue, is great (and I think a good deal). But as I tell before, I play for some years with Soft tips in Pool, so I think I will play better with soft tips, because I´m used to that kind of tips in Pool. I know is a lot different. What kind of soft tips you think are good? The Ultraskin Pro tip that I use in Pool costs me 11£. The Talisman tip is for that kind of price?

Thanks.

Rui
                    11 quid for an ultraskin? Eek! Mine cost me 2.50.

Ultraskin pros are equivalent to super softs, i think. I wouldn't get too hung up on tip hardness if i were you. Elkmasters are incredibly soft and most players play with them. They can be hit or miss in terms of consistency but they are good enough generally. You don't need a layered tip for snooker IMO so save your money and put it towards the cue.

Edit: i can't let this opportunity miss: try Blue Diamond tips as they play just that little bit softer than Elks.
                    Last edited by Hello, Mr Big Shot; 25 December 2014, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your help. How can I contact ADR147? Thanks,

Rui
                      You may get a nice machine spliced master cue from greenbaize or maybe adr? The Mark williams rep can be got for around 70/80 pound... though it's luck of the draw whether any cue bought blind will be a player....
                      Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Working...
                      X