Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing help please

Hi

Hoping someone can help me, please. I play some snooker but mainly pool, however the principle of what I'm about to ask is applicable to both pool and snooker.

I play competitive (pool) matches once a week and have a minimum of 3 practice nights. something I've noticed, and it has also been pointed out to me is that during practice games I can knock balls in from all angles, screw, side, swerve whatever is required. I'll play that reckless abandon style that Alex Higgins played with (no Im not attempting to compare myself to him, it was someone else that merely mentioned the style (but not necessarily the quality!!) was the same.

Like all players I have room to improve all aspects of my game.

But .......... when i play a competitive match I can hardly pot a ball. I feel fine, I don't feel tense or wound up or nervous, but I'm missing simple pots, I'm missing obvious shots, or snookers or escapes and not potting balls in the best sequence to secure the match. I don't know why I play different but I do. As our team captain put it , on a practice night I'm in the top two (out of a team of six), and will probably 85-90% of my games. On a match night it is 50-50 at best.

It appear that 'when it matters' I just cant play that well.

Has anyone else experienced this and have any tips for making this better?

Thanks
    Smee
    Last edited by Smeeagain; 9 January 2015, 12:32 AM.

In a one frame match its not about what you pot its what you leave. Play the right shot and try and settle into your natural rhythm when you do get in - work on safety play - shot selection - patience and mindset -

In practice you have none of that to worry about so as a consequence many neglect to practice it - read though a few threads on here and pick up tips that might help.

Comment

You may not feel as though you're nervous but that's almost certainly what's happening, most likely putting pressure on yourself knowing you are playing for the team and not just yourself. Remind yourself before you start to follow your usual routine, walk into the line of the shot before getting down etc, take that extra second or two to mentally prepare for the shot. Good luck

Comment

Needing help please

I'm similar to your mate play pool competively and regularly with snooker occasionally. Have the same issue in practice and matches. I can pot but don't finish the dish whereas in practice I'm nearly always finishing. What helped me was the chimp paradox book helps you manage the pressure and also moving from 8.5mm tip to 9mm so even when I bottled it pots were being made

Comment

Needing help please

As you start making the pots and winning games your confidence grows

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
            In a one frame match its not about what you pot its what you leave. Play the right shot and try and settle into your natural rhythm when you do get in - work on safety play - shot selection - patience and mindset -

In practice you have none of that to worry about so as a consequence many neglect to practice it - read though a few threads on here and pick up tips that might help.
            (Its not what you pot its what you leave) could not agree more this becomes very plain when you play in some of the short matches that some clubs take part in eg ( 6 reds 3 Reds. "due to time limit". miss a shot in a short red game and you are in trouble, its easy for the other guy to get a shot or worse still a swine of a snooker, give me a full rack game anytime !

Comment

Thanks to everyone. It has also been suggested that in practice I'm playing to win, whereas in a match I'm probably playing not to lose. Which I think is a fair comment and not something I'd considered before.

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
                Thanks to everyone. It has also been suggested that in practice I'm playing to win, whereas in a match I'm probably playing not to lose. Which I think is a fair comment and not something I'd considered before.
                You must get the right mind set think about it the most dangerous player you will meet on the table is YOU ! hope that makes sense.

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
                  You must get the right mind set think about it the most dangerous player you will meet on the table is YOU ! hope that makes sense.
                  My favourite quote this year so far

Comment

Originally Posted by denja View Post
                    That's how I think, unfortunately I'm a danger to myself.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Hi there mate,ok this is what you need to do.firstly get it in you head firmly that you are a better player then everyone in the world! This by the way does not have to be true keep telling yourself it, smile as you do it. Make sure you visualise the shot before you play it.picture it quicly in your mind it going in.stand back go for it! just pretend you are having a practice game,but do as steve davis says "play like it means nothing when it means everything" before you play no alchole at all! have slow releasing caborhydrates,like in bananas fresh veg,if its a one frame match then a chocolate bar will give you a quick boost but I would still recommend a good meal it does make a difference to you concentration. also at no time in the match must you even entertain that you are going to loose! I have been in many matches and even when I've been a few frames behind I did not even consider that I was going to loose. Also don't sit there and admire your opponent, just think and only think once well if he misses im gonna punish him and clear up! keep this as an attitude and by all means read a coaching book. practice hitting the cue ball up and down the table in a straight line. if it comes back and hits your tip you can hit the middle of the white, if it does not change a few things until you can do it., The thing about pool is you can cue very badly and still pot many balls. But you will find you wont always win, but get it so you can hit the cue ball where u intend to strike it and your winning margin will go up and up and up! Also are you left or right eyed? YouTube left eyes right eyed player on YouTube to find out. It will give you advice on where to have the cue under your chin. Do you need glasses? no insult intended but some people never check and play without them, like I used to lol and you will find they will help. get some snooker glasses from an optician like Dennis Taylor if you do need them and not normal ones cause u will not be able to sight the ball properly. And lastly stop telling your self all this garbage about it being 50-50,dissmiss that for a start mate. Have it in your mind you have always won everything ever and you will win every match! Keep this as an attitude until it becomes a natural part of your snooker/pool psychology! also when you walk in the club/pub to play walk in head high and create an aura of invincibility stand arrogant! Davis Hendry all strutted round the table like they owned the place. They in fact created such an aura about them they where 2 nil up psychologically before a single ball is even potted! keep still on the shot and take notes of what I have said then do it! no good reading this if you wont take action! Go for it mate also...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Parri...item418e1b4eda

Comment

Joe Davis has replied! OMG - I thought you died years ago - you son Steve was a good player, if a little boring.

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
                          Joe Davis has replied! OMG - I thought you died years ago - you son Steve was a good player, if a little boring.
                          Hey...he was 'Interesting Steve Davis' on Spitting Image
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Simples, winning is a habit. You have to play expecting to win. It's all about the 6 inches between your ears. It's about having the right state of mind and attitude. Doesn't mean you will always win but you will play to win. Conversely, losing is also a habit........

Comment

Originally Posted by Pclatham View Post
                              Simples, winning is a habit. You have to play expecting to win. It's all about the 6 inches between your ears. It's about having the right state of mind and attitude. Doesn't mean you will always win but you will play to win. Conversely, losing is also a habit........
                              Could not agree more you have to strike a balance between MR BIG HEAD and MR Modest if that makes sense ! Ok nobody likes a big head but on the other hand the saying the meek shall inherit the earth is a lot of crap ! As Pcatham stated losing can become a habit once a underdog always a underdog.

Comment

Working...
                              X