escaping snookers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Alba_ View Post
    Yes it will it always comes off and slides the rectangle wider. This shot needs to be played with a hair of right hand side for it to stay square off the black cushion.
    So it's check side then, not running side as you said earlier on.

Comment

Ever since I adopt a more upright stance when I try to escape snooker, my success rate have increased tremendously. Was abit concerned that I look odd, but since it works so well I couldn't care less now.

Comment

I've not read every post on this thread but will add my pennyworth to it.

I find two-cushion escapes are much easier to judge than one-cushion. Any trace of unwanted side will vary the angle off the first cushion but will cancel itself out on the second, so generally you will not get caught out by unintentional side as long as you have judged the direction pretty good.

For example, say I have the cue-ball on the brown spot and I am aiming for a ball on the pink spot. To play off just the one side cushion needs the accuracy of a ball's width otherwise you will pass one side or the other.

But with the two-cushion escape, the absolute judgement required is slightly less. (Let's say I'm playing off the yellow side cushion) I know I've got to hit the side cushion about a third of the way along the cushion past the middle pocket.

If I play it with no side, I should hit the pink.
        If I play with left-hand side, the angle will straighten off the side cushion (i.e. it will go closer to the corner pocket when it hits the back cushion), but the angle off the back cushion will be exaggerated to bring the path back towards the original plain-ball path.
        If I play with right-hand side, the angle will be exaggerated off the side cushion (i.e. will hit the back cushion further from the corner), but the angle off the back cushion will straighten to bring the path back to the original plain-ball path.

Running side (left-hand in this case) is generally more reliable and I usually err on that side of caution.

I hope someone will tell me that I am not just imagining things! It certainly seems that the above is true, and it seems logical too.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
          So it's check side then, not running side as you said earlier on.
          snookers.jpg <<<<<<<. I draw my line in my head from the ball i want to hit to the back cushion at roughly the same angle that the cue ball will travel down the other end of the Imaginary rectangle then i make a 90 degree angle from that point on the cushion from there across and through first cushion and line up the cue ball to make a rectangle from that. It sounds technical but it's not.You need to play it with a trace of check side half a tip if you play it firm.
          Last edited by Alba_; 22 January 2015, 01:55 AM.

Comment

snookers.jpg<<<<<<<< Yes check side. I drew this Embarrassing thing yesterday to try and explain what i meant but could not be bothered trying to explain everything so late at night so i left it and came back today to see a nice graphic so i was like no way am i posting this monstrosity . I draw my line in my head from the ball i want to hit to the back cushion at roughly the same angle that the cue ball will travel down the other end of the Imaginary rectangle then i make a 90 degree angle from that point on the cushion from there across and through first cushion and line up the cue ball to make a rectangle from that. It sounds technical but it's not.You need to play it with a trace of check side half a tip if you play it firm.

Comment

Working...
            X