No announcement yet.

Hit balls simultaneously, foul or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit balls simultaneously, foul or not?

Played in a league match the other day and snookered the guy on the last red. He swerved it around and I thought he hit the yellow before the red but the ref (who was further away than me) said he couldn't be sure but he thought the red and yellow were hit simultaneously so no foul.

I was a little cheesed off but it's the ref's decision so carried on and like a pillock managed to go in off the black at the end and lost!

I have later been told that simultaneously is still a foul, is this correct?
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Yip defo a foul if contact was made on both balls simultaneously.
    Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

Yes simultaneous hit is a foul. Not much you can do now tho. Afraid these things happen when the refs don't know the rules.

Comment

6. Hitting Two Balls Simultaneously

Two balls, other than two Reds or a free ball and a ball on, must not be struck simultaneously by the first impact of the cue-ball.
        Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

Gutted.

Bad enough that the ref didn't get close enough as suggested by the player before he took the shot. It put me off for a few shots as he hadn't seen it and then going in off was bad enough. When I was told that simultaneous contact was still a foul I nearly passed a snooker ball.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, shame as it stopped us going top, that's snooker.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Warren has given the appropriate rule. It was definitely a foul. I mostly play in pool leagues these days and most teams have a VERY lax attitude to refereeing, and nothing irks me more than losing frames because a referee hasn't seen a foul or doesn't know the rules well enough to call one.
            Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Yes, as others have said, it is a foul.

Having said that, if the referee is unsure that the foul has occurred, he should give the striker the benefit of the doubt. I appreciate that he could have positioned himself better (and to hear that it was suggested to him is unfortunate to say the least) but at the end of the day he has to be sure that a foul has been committed in order to call it.

I'd also like to say well done for accepting the referee's decision and getting on with the game.
              I mostly play in pool leagues these days and most teams have a VERY lax attitude to refereeing, and nothing irks me more than losing frames because a referee hasn't seen a foul or doesn't know the rules well enough to call one.
              I agree with this. I am a qualified referee but have no expectation that players acting as a referee should know the rules absolutely inside out, or always stand in the right place or make the right decisions or whatever.

But I do expect them to at least take an interest and observe the game they are supposed to be refereeing. Sadly, these days it is all to common to see the refereeing player idly standing in a fixed position near the scoreboard, or even watching a football match on his phone.

Even if you're not sure, just do your best - that's all that anyone can ask. Sometimes, though, it's apparently too much to ask.

Comment

There is one thing you can do. Try and get hold of the ref and, politely, point out his error, perhaps backed up with a written copy of the rule to email him or show him. . If you cant contact him, contact your league and give them the date/venue of the match and ask them to point it out to him.
                It can only help in future games

Comment

Working...
                X