Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can pro use a set of cues in tournament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can pro use a set of cues in tournament?

Untitled.png

Can a pro uses a different cue for different shots in a proper torunament? Just like golf players, pull in a set of golf clubs ?

Long shot, stiff cue
    Stun shot - heavy cue
    Screw shot - bigger tip
    etc
    etc

i think they could but the fact no one does it tells the story

Comment

I have heard of people doing it, but not in the pro game. Anyway it would be a pain for the audience watching them constantly changing their cue.

Comment

They do it in 9 ball and some players use a breaking cue in 8 ball , bit impractical for snooker I would imagine .

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
          They do it in 9 ball and some players use a breaking cue in 8 ball , bit impractical for snooker I would imagine .
          Think the cue makers would love it! Imagine having to order up a bag of Trevor White's!

Comment

I don't see the point, not in snooker, and why would you want a bigger tip for a screw shot?

On the topic of things that'll never happen, could you make some kind of cue with an inner pendulum type thing that, when activated, pushed an inner cue through the white at maximum acceleration, so you just had to point it and push a button to shoot?
            Last edited by jonny66; 12 February 2015, 07:12 PM.

Comment

I'm near sure i read something on this a while back about Mike Hallett (i think) doing something similar, can't remember the ins and outs of it but he was swapping around cues for certain shots or something along those lines?

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                Think the cue makers would love it! Imagine having to order up a bag of Trevor White's!
                But imagine what the waiting lists would like then.

Comment

It is common for a American pool player to carry at least 3 cues at the professional level. They carry a break cue, a jump cue, and a playing cue. All serve a different purpose well and there isn't 1 cue that can do everything to a high standard. There really is no reason why you would want a different cue for certain shots in my opinion. The biggest reason why people only use one cue is for the consistency of knowing how its going to hit and the reaction you will get with each hit.
                  “Thus so wretched is man that he would weary even without any cause for weariness... and so frivolous is he that, though full of a thousand reasons for weariness, the least thing, such as playing billiards or hitting a ball, is sufficient enough to amuse him.” Mr. Blaise Pascal

Comment

We all play our best when we are in the 'zone' this co insides with having a good pace/rhythm round the table. So a rack full of cues for certain shots certainly won't give you that. The whole stop start thing would ruin your flow. Most players who think they need a new cue, weight added/taken away special tips etc just need to go to basics practice and work on their technique, there is no miracle cure!

Comment

Originally Posted by SnookeredYou View Post
                      It is common for a American pool player to carry at least 3 cues at the professional level. They carry a break cue, a jump cue, and a playing cue. All serve a different purpose well and there isn't 1 cue that can do everything to a high standard. There really is no reason why you would want a different cue for certain shots in my opinion. The biggest reason why people only use one cue is for the consistency of knowing how its going to hit and the reaction you will get with each hit.
                      the jump shot is a foul in snooker so no need to have an extra cue for that and the break off is just a normal safety.

Comment

Originally Posted by svendh View Post
                        the jump shot is a foul in snooker so no need to have an extra cue for that and the break off is just a normal safety.
                        im just waiting for a cue with a built in lazer (that doesnt distract on cueing) to point at where i want to aim instead of where i am aiming the shot

Comment

Working...
                        X