Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Balls - An argument in a club about what type...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balls - An argument in a club about what type...

Hi All,

New here first question.

The club where I am now playing have two tables and I've played there for a few months.
    Straight away I felt the balls were reacting strangely. Very difficult to put on top and relatively easy to screw the ball.
    I weighed and measured them. 5 1/15th and 129g incluing the cue balls. My point is they don't react like Aramith Tournament or Premium balls in any way.

I have my own set of 1G Tournament balls.
    The league players there practices with 129g Super Crystallate balls (or older) but play matches with 142g Tournament balls because thats what the club provides.

The table fitter even stated that no decent player would ever use Aramith balls as they are so cheap and nasty. I tried to put him straight when I showed him the 1G set - But he wouldn't have it.

Anyway, point is, what balls should a club use? Surely most clubs use sets of Tournament Champion balls (142g) and not the Premier balls (129g).

Please reply with something that I can present to them as proof that the BALLS ARE WRONG.

Many thanks,

Simon.
    Last edited by jigsaw333; 14 February 2015, 09:47 AM.

Pretty sure all the clubs I play at use the cheaper Premier balls (or worse). The only times I've ever used the TC balls is if someone brings them in. And that is rare.

Comment

im not even sure many clubs have aramith full stop whether it be premier or the tournament champions....the club i play at the balls are rubbish.

That said i do know that all local league snooker in my area stipulate the use of the tc balls.

Comment

Like Cyber, my club has premiers, but there are quite a lot of lads who have their own sets of TCs and 1gs , never heard of anyone say it's disrespectful to use your own balls, that's a strange one. I must admit though if I play someone I will always ask what balls they want to use as if they are used to the prems it's not fair to automatically just swop to my TCs.
        Did the table fitter say what other choice in balls we should use, doesn't Aramith have the market sown up these days.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I doubt there's many clubs that would use Aramith balls for every day use. They're more likely to use a cheaper alternative. I think you have to play with whatever balls are on the table when you turn up for your game unless your opponent agrees to change the balls over. Leagues might specify that balls must be of "a certain size" but I doubt whether any amateur leagues would 'demand" that the balls are TC's.
          I know in a lot of leagues the light white causes problems.
          I think "disrespectful" is a bit strong

Comment

The table fitters knowledge obviously stops in the '80s before Saluc bought out the Super Crystalite manufacturer and created the Aramith range. And yes they virtually own the market.
            This was when many clubs had Crystalite object balls and used a Aramith cue ball. You could screw the ball miles.
            I believe the balls in this club are Super Crystallite, which went out of fashion and manufacture in the '80s, although he tried to tell me after 6 month old they will shrink.
            If you're old enough to remember, the cue balls were a brilliant white. Not like the off white of Aramith.
            Any decent player would notice the difference immediately. Trouble is although these committee people talk a good game and can't tell the difference between the two.

Was only trying to make things better for ALL of the players and improve their game.

I have been teaching a few players recently and bought them a beginners training ball (Measels ball with the red dots) AND THEY ONLY MAKE IT IN TOURNAMENT WEIGHT. Why's that!!!
            Last edited by jigsaw333; 14 February 2015, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks Bigmeek,
              You mention 'light white' others do too.
              My 1G's ALL weigh 142g and my Premiers all weigh 129g inc cue balls.
              Where does the 'light white' come from?

Comment

Originally Posted by jigsaw333 View Post
                The table fitter even stated that no decent player would ever use Aramith balls as they are so cheap and nasty. I tried to put him straight when I showed him the 1G set - But he wouldn't have it.

Please reply with something that I can present to them as proof that the BALLS ARE WRONG.
                Well, all the decent PROFESSIONAL players use Aramith on the tour.
                as all balls supplied to the events are Aramith TCs (1G range)
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by jigsaw333 View Post
                  Thanks Bigmeek,
                  You mention 'light white' others do too.
                  My 1G's ALL weigh 142g and my Premiers all weigh 129g inc cue balls.
                  Where does the 'light white' come from?
                  What happens mate is that league teams etc start off with a nice set of TC's at 142g and through time the white might get a bit chipped. What do they do? They go and purchase a new "ordinary" club ball white which might be around 139g or worse still they get hold of an Aramith Premier white at around 129g. Creates mayhem for the good players!

Comment

I've known some clubs do that on purpose.
                    They think it looks great to screw the ball around everywhere...

Comment

It depends on the table I think - I hate using a like white but have to say certain balls play better on rubbish tables - eg it is a lot harder to play with heavier balls on a dead table with a rug on it than it is with a lighter set because you cant move it around as much, so I suppose there is some logic in using cheap balls on a rubbish table.

Comment

The tables when cleaned play really well and fairly good quality cloths. Thats part of the argument... good tables - crap old crystalite balls.

Comment

Our two tables at the Social club are never cleaned or ironed. Playing using light balls is tough enough. I've tried using TC balls on those tables. It's like trying to manoeuvre cannon balls on a cardigan.

Comment

Cyberheater,

Good point.
                            I volunteered to clean the tables, didn't ask just did it. Twice a week. It's good to play on a clean table. (Been cleaning and ironing other snooker tables for over 35 years)
                            Then I was told by the same committee people.
                            "**** ****"
                            You're wearing the cloth out. They said quote 'Its like a dog... the more you brush it, the more its hair falls out!' I just laughed.
                            Now they are only cleaned once every, when people get fed up with them being so dirty.
                            Last edited by jigsaw333; 14 February 2015, 09:49 AM.

Comment

I'm surprised that they allow the lights on!
                              "argh, the light will ruin the cloth!"

what a load of crock these guys are coming out with, is there any other club near you?
                              Question - how much is the light on these tables (when you are allowed to use them that is )
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X