White picked up by mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White picked up by mistake

Player 1 fouls by knocking a red completely off the table. Player 2 by mistake picks up the cue ball which hadn't left the table and puts it in hand.
    Before player 2 takes his shot, the problem is noticed and the cue ball remains where player 2 put it.
    What does player 1 do with the cue ball when he returns to the table for his shot.

he should leave it where it is and go to a snooker hall to play a proper game

Comment

I'm assuming we are talking snooker here?
      My understanding is that the guy who picked the white up has illegally handled the ball. This is foul and 4 points to player 1, who may now place the white in the D.

Comment

Yes, white "forced off the table". Four away and play from the D. Happened to me once! Bit of a bummer if you're then faced with a more difficult shot!
        Player 1 deemed to have "ball in hand".

Comment

scrap that, why are they picking the white ball up anyway, what's going on, I stick with my first answer
          Last edited by sberry; 24 February 2015, 05:01 PM.

Comment

He never concentrates when hes not at the table.
            Thanks timcunnell, yes it is snooker and to answer Bigmeek its the red off the table the white never left the table till the player picked it up by mistake

Comment

Originally Posted by 57varieties View Post
              Thanks timcunnell, yes it is snooker and to answer Bigmeek its the red off the table the white never left the table till the player picked it up by mistake
              Very annoying playing folks like that. I wouldn't play him.

Comment

This is a similar-ISH situation.
                Dott knows the white is heading for the corner pocket, and blocks the white from going in. No intention on his part to do anything untoward - but a daft thing to do really! Anyway - the point being, Selby incorrectly picks the white up (incorrectly in the opinion of the ref, anyway!), and the ref calls a foul, and Dott has ball in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1sDiLapr0g

Comment

Originally Posted by 57varieties View Post
                  Yes I understood. Because the White was picked up it is deemed to have been "forced off the table". Seem to remember it happened a few years ago at the Crucible. Match was Selby V Dott and ref was Alan Chamberlain. Was a bit of confusion and controversy at the time if my memory is correct.
                  Last edited by Bigmeek; 24 February 2015, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                    Seem to remember it happened a few years ago at the Crucible. Match was Selby V Dott and ref was John Street. Was a bit of confusion and controversy at the time if my memory is correct.
                    See my post above Great minds and all that!

I'd be really interested to see how a modern ref (Paul Collier prob a good example) would react in the Dott/Selby situation. I don't think the ref got it right. Should at least have warned Dott, or told Selby he couldn't pick the white up, rather than wait for him to do so.

Comment

Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post

I'd be really interested to see how a modern ref (Paul Collier prob a good example) would react in the Dott/Selby situation. I don't think the ref got it right. Should at least have warned Dott, or told Selby he couldn't pick the white up, rather than wait for him to do so.
                      Or Dott could have just potting the white straight into a pocket. Balance would have been restored.

Comment

Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post
                        Yeah, I seem to remember the ref came in for a bit of stick for his handling of the situation. Got debated on the Forum at the time with various opinions.
                        PS. Thanks for the You Tube. My memory has failed me lol. Ref Was Alan Chamberlain. Apologies to John Street.
                        Last edited by Bigmeek; 24 February 2015, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                          Or Dott could have just potting the white straight into a pocket. Balance would have been restored.
                          Yes I agree with this, crowd would have loved to see that I think, but the ref might have made Dot lose the frame for a deliberate foul lol

Cheers Ricky

Comment

White picked up by mistake

there is another pro ref mistake very similar to the OP where a player fouls and Michaela Tabb calls a foul and straight away picks up the white which hadn't dropped. After an amusing moment, she replaces the white where it was and play continues. The clip is on youtube
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I saw both of those incidents, but I thought because in my case the player picked the ball and put it in hand it should stay there. Thanks for the replies anyway, I appreciate it

Comment

Working...
                              X