Free ball or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free ball or not?

Just wanted to check this one as I was asked my opinion in a friendly match last night. After a foul there were two reds on the table, kissing each other on the cushion. Between the white and the reds were two colours. One colour was covering the extreme left edge of the red on the left, another colour was covering the extreme right edge of the red on the right - no argument that the respective edges were covered in this way. There was effectively a full ball shot onto reds from the white because of their kissing each other (a full ball made by two half balls, if you see what I mean). However, I said in my opinion it was a free ball because neither red could be struck at their extreme edges - I assumed their position next to each other was irrelevant in the decision. My opinion carried, but of course there's always that nagging doubt, so please reassure me I was right.

you were correct, you dont add two reds to have the extremes
    each red is considered individually
    see the excellent thread by Statman:
    http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...f-you-have-one
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yes, if you are unable to hit BOTH finest edges of at least one ball on then there is a free ball (after a foul, of course).
      Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by misspentoldage View Post
        Just wanted to check this one as I was asked my opinion in a friendly match last night. After a foul there were two reds on the table, kissing each other on the cushion. Between the white and the reds were two colours. One colour was covering the extreme left edge of the red on the left, another colour was covering the extreme right edge of the red on the right - no argument that the respective edges were covered in this way. There was effectively a full ball shot onto reds from the white because of their kissing each other (a full ball made by two half balls, if you see what I mean). However, I said in my opinion it was a free ball because neither red could be struck at their extreme edges - I assumed their position next to each other was irrelevant in the decision. My opinion carried, but of course there's always that nagging doubt, so please reassure me I was right.
        yes I believe you are correct :snooker:

Comment

Thanks, guys, I thought I was right, only you know what it's like when that little nagging doubt creeps up on you. (Come to think of it, that little nagging doubt creeps up on me most of the times I'm about to attempt a pot. )

Comment

Working...
          X