Snooker Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker Rules

Most rules are easy to check but ive come across a strange one. Player A is 3 up with pink & black left. He pots the pink & puts his cue on the table. The cueball is still moving & about to hit the cue. The ref picks the cue up to prevent the foul. Obviously the ref shouldnt have done this but what should be the outcome of this? There was a definate foul about to happen but the refs actions prevented this.

Was the ref from the same team as player who was about to foul ?? if so i would claim the frame regardless of any proper ruling

Comment

The ref was from the team of player B. It wouldav been in his interests to let the foul happen.

Comment

The referee was in the wrong to have moved the cue. Assuming he accepts that he is wrong he should foul Player A 6 points, and place the cue ball where he considers it would have stopped.

Whilst s3.15 of the rules simply refers to 'Ball Moved by Other than Striker', I think the same principle should apply here. The rule says that no penalty would apply but here, I think that s5, applies, and the decision should be made in the interest of fair play.

15. Ball Moved by Other than Striker
        If a ball, stationary or moving, is disturbed other than by the striker, it shall be re-positioned by the referee to the place he judges the ball was, or would have finished, without penalty.
        (a) This Rule shall include cases where another occurrence or person, causes the striker to move a ball, but will not apply in cases where a ball moves due to any defect in the table surface, except in the case where a spotted ball moves before the next stroke has been made.
        (b) No player shall be penalised for any disturbance of balls by the referee

Generally this rule is invoked when there is an accidental movement of the balls, but in the OP's case there was a deliberate movement by the referee, hence the penalty should be applied.

1. The Referee
        (a) The referee shall:
        (i) be the sole judge of fair and unfair play;
        (ii) be free to make a decision in the interests of fair play for any situation not covered adequately by these Rules;
        (iii) be responsible for the proper conduct of the game under these Rules;
        (iv) intervene if he sees any infringement of these Rules;
        (v) tell a player the colour of a ball if requested; and
        (vi) clean any ball upon reasonable request by a player.
        Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

I had read this rule but was put off but the "no player shall be penalised for any disturbance of balls by the referee" part. Although rule 1a (ii) the referee "be free to make a decision in the interests of fair play for any situation not covered adequately by these rules", does then support that a foul should have been called. Most peoples feelings at the time time were as it was the the refs fault no foul should be called. If that was the case a referee could "disturb" play at moment e.g stopping an in-off or even a pot intensionally & no foul by awarded. That obviously couldnt be right. I was the only person that thought it should be a foul 6 against player A.

Comment

Working...
          X