free ball question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• free ball question

situation is one red left on table and all colours .a free ball is called as apponent misses red leaving a free ball ,player nominates brown in playing brown he misses it white goes up baulk end of table and brown half covers the red is that classed as a foul ,

Yes it is.
    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Yes ..........

Comment

i always thort if u could see any of the ball it was not a snooker

Comment

free ball question

snooker is defined as being able to hit both extreme edges of the object ball in a straight line shot
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

thanks for sorting that out mate

Comment

free ball question

in your scenario above it is a foul because 1) the player missed the nominated free ball and 2) also he ended up snookering behind the nominated free ball; so the oncoming player will have a free ball option as well
              Last edited by DeanH; 24 June 2015, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                in your scenario above it is a foul because the player missed the nominated free ball and also he ended up snookering behind the nominated free ball, so the oncoming player will have a free ball option as well
                I took him to mean missed the pot. If the player does not hit the nominated ball, it's clearly a foul shot. If he hits the nominated ball, doesn't pot it, but then snookers (on the subsequent ball) behind the ball nominated, that's also a foul shot. If snookered, then you get a free ball after a foul. Snookered is not being able to hit both edges of the object ball directly when hit straight.

That's my understanding.

Comment

free ball question

ah I read it that he don't hit the brown

Comment

free ball question

sorry double post

Comment

ah I read it that he don't hit the brown
                      That's what I thought too!

But yes as others already said, if a nominated free ball comes to rest such that it is preventing the approaching player form hitting both extreme edges of a ball on (assuming there are no other available balls on - ie another red) it is a foul, and free ball.

The only exception (not really an exception) is if there was another intervening ball nearer the cue ball which was blocking the path to the ball on.

Comment

The ONLY exception is when only Pink and Black are on the table, you can snooker behind the nominated free ball.

The nearest ball to the cue ball is regarded as the snookering ball and the only one taken into account, if that nearest ball is the nominated free ball, then a foul and a free ball option to the non-offending player

Here's one for the resident referees, if the nominated free ball is the same distance from the cue ball as another ball and both are snookering the object ball, both are considered the effective snookering balls; would this be Foul and Free ball option as the nominated free ball is "snookering" the object ball? My thoughts are "yes", foul and free ball option.

Comment

The ONLY exception is when only Pink and Black are on the table, you can snooker behind the nominated free ball.

The nearest ball to the cue ball is regarded as the snookering ball and the only one taken into account, if that nearest ball is the nominated free ball, then a foul and a free ball option to the non-offending player

Here's one for the resident referees, if the nominated free ball is the same distance from the cue ball as another ball and both are snookering the object ball, both are considered the effective snookering balls; would this be Foul and Free ball option as the nominated free ball is "snookering" the object ball? My thoughts are "yes", foul and free ball option.
                          Yes Dean, I am fairly sure you are right on that. Can't think of the exact wording in the rules, but will see if I can find it.

Comment

The answer comes from the s2 definition of a snooker, which has this clause: (ii) should more than one obstructing ball be equidistant from the cue-ball, all such balls will be considered to be effective snookering balls. Therefore, in your scenario it WOULD be a foul with a free ball.
                            Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

I hate to be pedantic but you CAN snooker behind the nominated free ball when there are other balls not on obstructing other balls on. Eg red, green, cue ball, yellow, red in a line (last two reds): you can trickle up to either colour as a nominated free ball because the other colour will be the effective snookering ball for the other red.
                              Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Working...
                              X