Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shot To Nothing In Professional Snooker

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shot To Nothing In Professional Snooker

    Was wondering if anyone knows how the player match statistics work for long pots and safety percentages. Would playing a shot to nothing count as a long pot attempt or a successful safety....would it count as both? What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by OmaMiesta; 21st August 2015, 09:56 AM.

  • #2
    Pretty sure if just counts as a safety. I've seen matches where they've left someone on 100% pot success even though they've half attempted a few balls.
    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Contact: steve@bartonsnooker.co.uk
    Website: www.bartonsnooker.co.uk

    Comment


    • #3
      Oma:

      I am sure that's correct as they always show those statistics (at least on the BBC). I imagine the reason is if the player misses a shot to nothing they don't really know if he was going for the pot although sometimes it's obvious.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        Oma:

        I am sure that's correct as they always show those statistics (at least on the BBC). I imagine the reason is if the player misses a shot to nothing they don't really know if he was going for the pot although sometimes it's obvious.
        So you think it would count for both? I think that would make more sense considering some shots are definitely not as obvious. Heres a scenerio where I believe its Neil Foulds commenting, mentions it after a "long pot attempt" by Ronnie
        Around 28:15 - 28:40

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by OmaMiesta View Post
          So you think it would count for both? I think that would make more sense considering some shots are definitely not as obvious. Heres a scenerio where I believe its Neil Foulds commenting, mentions it after a "long pot attempt" by Ronnie
          Around 28:15 - 28:40
          No, they wouldn't count one shot twice. If the cueball ends up safe and he missed the pot then it's a successful safety. If he potted the ball but the cueball still ended up safe it would count as a pot but his next shot would likely be a safety if he had no position.
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            No, they wouldn't count one shot twice. If the cueball ends up safe and he missed the pot then it's a successful safety. If he potted the ball but the cueball still ended up safe it would count as a pot but his next shot would likely be a safety if he had no position.
            Oh whoops misinterpreted your previous post, ah I see...so it pretty much only counts as a long pot when you miss and don't get safe.

            Comment


            • #7
              what counts as a safe shot, is it counted at the point of laying the safe shot (getting the cue ball safe) or after the opponent has then played from that safe shot position and got nothing? What if the opponent gets an amazing pot from that safe position, is that previous shot now not count towards the safety shot count?
              Up the TSF!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DeanH View Post
                what counts as a safe shot, is it counted at the point of laying the safe shot (getting the cue ball safe) or after the opponent has then played from that safe shot position and got nothing? What if the opponent gets an amazing pot from that safe position, is that previous shot now not count towards the safety shot count?
                I think the safety shot is measured by how close to bulk cushion you can get while not leaving easy balls on in the process.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by OmaMiesta View Post
                  I think the safety shot is measured by how close to bulk cushion you can get while not leaving easy balls on in the process.
                  I don't safety shots are purely those on how close to baulk cushion but also those where a snooker is laid (anywhere on the table), and again, if the opponent gets out of the safety (snooker) and also pots the ball on, does the previous safety shot not count as a safety - or does it still count as it was played well in the first instance?
                  Up the TSF!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DeanH View Post
                    I don't safety shots are purely those on how close to baulk cushion but also those where a snooker is laid (anywhere on the table), and again, if the opponent gets out of the safety (snooker) and also pots the ball on, does the previous safety shot not count as a safety - or does it still count as it was played well in the first instance?
                    I think it's a judgement call by whoever is doing the stats. And does this all really matter at all?
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      I think it's a judgement call by whoever is doing the stats. And does this all really matter at all?
                      in the whole scheme of the universe, of course it does not matter at all!
                      just general chatter on a forum - to and fro of chat
                      Up the TSF!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DeanH View Post
                        in the whole scheme of the universe, of course it does not matter at all!
                        just general chatter on a forum - to and fro of chat
                        I don't know whether it's a BBC guy, a WPBSA guy or the commentators doing the stats but if it's the commentators and Willie Thorne is doing the stats for Mark Selby then I think I would use a grain of salt!
                        Terry Davidson
                        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          very true

                          I would have thought it would be a World Snooker or a referee/marker person... not commentators (too highly paid for such a mundane role ) and not the broadcaster. ?
                          Last edited by DeanH; 24th August 2015, 05:19 PM.
                          Up the TSF!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                            I don't know whether it's a BBC guy, a WPBSA guy or the commentators doing the stats but if it's the commentators and Willie Thorne is doing the stats for Mark Selby then I think I would use a grain of salt!
                            LOL could you please elaborate on that, am I missing something between Willie and Selby?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by OmaMiesta View Post
                              LOL could you please elaborate on that, am I missing something between Willie and Selby?
                              Mark Selby started off playing at Willie's snooker club, as they are both from Leicester in England.
                              WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                              Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Contact: steve@bartonsnooker.co.uk
                              Website: www.bartonsnooker.co.uk

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X