Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White in middle of pack?

Hi,

What happens when you pot a red and the white ends up in the middle of the Reds with no route out except to foul by hitting a red? Probably been answered elsewhere but couldn't find it...

Thanks,

Tcs

You have to name a colour and use enough force to have hit it if reds were not there, obviously a foul but that's what needs to be done

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      You have to name a colour and use enough force to have hit it if reds were not there, obviously a foul but that's what needs to be done
      Also, if you have a referee he has to declare the snooker as impossible or at least your opponent does if no referee. You have to take the foul and try and get the cueball safe if you can but your opponent cannot call a MISS but he can have you play again, the same as after any foul.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Ok that's what we did. Cheers folks.

Comment

Can you nominate yellow and only give 4 away as opposed to nominating black or pink assuming they would probably be the nearest ball on.... (At least as the crow flies).

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
            Can you nominate yellow and only give 4 away as opposed to nominating black or pink assuming they would probably be the nearest ball on.... (At least as the crow flies).
            Hmm interesting point, i assume if no path at all to a yellow you would have to nominate a colour that you could in theory of hit if reds not in the way ?

Comment

This is what I did but the all of the higher value colours were nearer.

Comment

As long as you play the cue-ball in the correct direction and with enough pace that it would have hit the yellow if the reds were not in the way, no miss will be called.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
                http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Yes, you can, provided you play either directly OT indirectly at the yellow with sufficient pace to have hit the yello had the obstructing reds not been there. You don't have to nominate the nearest/easiest ball on.
                  Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

q - what if when surrounded by reds the pink black or blue is in the way of hitting the yellow directly?

Comment

You can play towards the yellow indirectly, ie, off a cushion. If all possible direct or indirect paths are blocked, then an attempt at the yellow would be called a miss.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
                      http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Eh - that don't make sense - because if its a miss the reds could be replaced - so you have to nominate a ball on then really is what you are saying I take it?

Comment

This is an interesting thread as it's not something I've really ever considered but there has to be a provision for it in the rule book.

There is also the option of the oponent agreeing to a re-rack. I don't think I've ever seen a televised match where the player is forced to play a shot they know will foul because either the player or ref has asked the seated player if they can re-rack. Maybe it's a rule among the pros that if someone ends up surrounded by the pack during the opening moves of a frame they will agree to a restart. It's probably following an incredible long red so to punish it even more would be cruel and we all get it wrong sometimes
                          www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Why would any player agree to a re rack when the opponent has no option but to foul ??

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                              Why would any player agree to a re rack when the opponent has no option but to foul ??
                              It depends on the circumstances. I might be more willing to allow a re-rack if it occurred early in a frame early in a match and following a good pot. Obviously I would be less forgiving as the match progressed. It's a rare event and usually going to happen within the first few shots of the frame by going in to the side of the pack from a long red or extreme check on a low black.

I can't think of any occasion when a player has had to play a foul when surrounded by the pack so I would be interested in any youtube links.
                              www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Working...
                              X