Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Such Precise Cue Tip Size - How they found it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Such Precise Cue Tip Size - How they found it?

I was just wondering how pro players identify and finalize the precise cue tip size of their cues. The reason I asked this questions is because generally the cue tips come in standard sizes like 9mm - 9.5mm - 10mm - 10.5mm etc. But I have read the pro players use tip size like 8.9mm or 9.3mm or 9.7mm and so on. I am aware that these cues are custom made and they can get the cues size as fine and precise as they like but how did they came to know that this is the size they want?

One would say that they play with this size better than the other but my query is that when they had started the career they must have used the standard cues during training. And if one play and train with standard tip size cue..why would they switch it. Did they try multiple cues tip size cues and then decide to one?

On totally another note, many pros using cue tip that is generally less than 10mm. ranging between 9.3 - 9.7 mostly. My cue, purchased online, although very fine is in the 10mm range. I was wondering if any way this will affect my game in long run. Just out of curiosity, any pro player using 10mm or bigger cue tip?
    I Admire Ding, Adore Judd & Would do ANYTHING to play like Ronnie.

They probably started out using those specs without much knowledge of cue tip sizes and their effects. Then when they got older, they just got custom models to the specs that they were used to.

Comment

Could be a possibility but still I don't think its a coincidence that almost all pros have cue tips different than the standard cue tips. mm is quite small width..finalizing it to the 10th part of mm like 9.3mm or 9.7mm..

Comment

I think with everything as you get better at something you always search for anything else that will give you more. You might borrow a mates cue and all of a sudden you get more reaction it feels better than yours and you end up getting something similar and so on.
        Eventually you end up with one you feel comfortable with and then stick to it

Comment

Mostly they start off with standard sizes but eventually the tip size gets smaller due to re tipping and shinning the ferrule , if whoever fits the tips is heavy handed they can soon have a tip size below 9mm and not realise.

Comment

Thank you all for replies. Comments welcome on the second part of the question as well.

Comment

Originally Posted by louise sheldon View Post
              Mostly they start off with standard sizes but eventually the tip size gets smaller due to re tipping and shinning the ferrule , if whoever fits the tips is heavy handed they can soon have a tip size below 9mm and not realise.
              Like that comment, I had a cue which was about 9.3mm, after many years it was measured and was 8.8mm !!!

Comment

Players with larger tips I've noticed : Mark King - big mushroom / overhang.... looks like 11mm, Peter Ebdon also and I think Ian McCulloch had over sized tip too.

Comment

Working...
                X