jump shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jump shot

I know it's a foul to jump over a colour if you're snookered on a red or vise versa, but if you're on a red is it OK to jump the cue ball over another red to get there?

jump shot

deliberate jump shots are not allowed ever
    Last edited by DeanH; 11 September 2015, 07:01 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

It's a foul if you jump over a red before making contact with one so it's a legal shot to jump over the pack but only if the cueball touches a red before it jumps over a ball(s). When the cueball is close to the pack and the player needs to play a safety up to baulk this kind of shot can be an option but I don't see it often. Probably because it's so unpredictable and there are usually better options.
      www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

To add to the above, it's also illegal if the cue-ball touches the first red as it jumps over it.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
        http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Well that's as clear as mud, it's either always a foul, or it's not always a foul, provided the cueball touches a red but not the red you were jumping over if it's in the pack, but you have to touch a red first before you touch another red that you wanted to jump over in the first place. What?

Comment

Perhaps the official definition of a jump shot will help:

20. Jump Shot
            A jump shot is made when the cue-ball passes over any part of an object ball, whether touching it in the process or not, except:
            (a) when the cue-ball first strikes one object ball and then jumps over another ball;
            (b) when the cue-ball jumps and strikes an object ball, but does not land on the far side of that ball;
            (c) when, after striking an object ball lawfully, the cue-ball jumps over that ball after hitting a cushion or another ball.
            Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerdad View Post
              To add to the above, it's also illegal if the cue-ball touches the first red as it jumps over it.

?? i thought that was ok ???

Comment

OK, I think I have it now, it's a foul. How about a mis-cue, when you were playing a screw shot, chipped the white, but hit the object ball? Seen as the white being chipped is the shaft/ferrule hitting the cue ball, is that not a foul?

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                  ?? i thought that was ok ???
                  Nope. That's covered by the first sentence of the rule.... it's a foul "when the cue ball passes over ANY part of an object ball whether touching it in the process or not. Unless it doesn't land on the far side of it.
                  Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Ok thanks, very rarely happens anyway, once in a blue moon

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                      OK, I think I have it now, it's a foul. How about a mis-cue, when you were playing a screw shot, chipped the white, but hit the object ball? Seen as the white being chipped is the shaft/ferrule hitting the cue ball, is that not a foul?
                      The rules say: "A stroke is made when the striker strikes the cue-ball with the tip of the cue."

http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

I'd like an opinion please on the definition in 20(b) of where the cue ball lands. Is it a) where it lands on the TABLE or where it lands on the BALL on the way over?

If a cue ball hits the object ball and lands on the TABLE on the far side of the ball irrespective of where it hits the object ball is it a foul?

If the cue ball hits the object ball on the near side but still lands on the TABLE on the far side of the ball is this legal?

Appreciate a clarification please.

Comment

It is where the cue ball lands (contacts the bed of the table) that is considered in relation to the object ball.
                          If it lands on the far side, contacting the object ball or not, it is a foul.

Unless the cue ball-
                          (a) contacts the object ball and jumps over ANOTHER object ball - no foul;
                          or (c) contacts the object ball and then hits a cushion or ANOTHER object ball and goes over the object ball first hit - no foul.
                          or (b) hits the object but does not land on the far side - no foul.

Originally Posted by Macclad View Post
                          I'd like an opinion please on the definition in 20(b) of where the cue ball lands. Is it a) where it lands on the TABLE or where it lands on the BALL on the way over?
                          As stated in the first paragraph of rule 20 "whether touching it in the process or not," situation is it lands on the far side - foul.

If a cue ball hits the object ball and lands on the TABLE on the far side of the ball irrespective of where it hits the object ball is it a foul?
                          Correct - foul.
                          "whether touching it in the process or not"

If the cue ball hits the object ball on the near side but still lands on the TABLE on the far side of the ball is this legal?
                          No - foul
                          "whether touching it in the process or not,"
                          Unless another object ball or a cushion is hit after the contact on the object ball and then the cue ball goes over the original object ball, (c), no foul.

Hope this is as clear as mud
                          Last edited by DeanH; 7 September 2018, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks DeanH. That’s actually what I believed but had a debate with a snooker coach during a Billiards “session”. He disagreed stating that as long as the cue ball doesn’t hit on the far side of the BALL it isn’t a foul. My view, from where I should be standing as a referee would make this judgement impossible and the rule can’t mean that. As the rule is exactly the same as in billiards, and I believed I was correct in my interpretation, I wanted a second opinion. As with many of the rules in both sports it could do with tweaking to clarify it but thanks for your help.

Comment

He disagreed stating that as long as the cue ball doesn’t hit on the far side of the BALL it isn’t a foul.
                              Well in a way he is correct, if the cue ball does not land on the far side of the object ball it "jumps" then it is not a foul, (b).
                              Down to the use of "hit", hit the object ball or the bed of the table?
                              So back to your scenario of hitting the far side of the object but it bounces back to the near side (say several balls where around the object ball) and lands. No foul.
                              Lands = on the bed of the table.

As with many of the rules in both sports it could do with tweaking to clarify it ...
                              I believe that since early this year or late last year the Rules Committee has been reviewing the wording of the rules (all games) but have not heard of when we may see anything yet
                              Last edited by DeanH; 8 September 2018, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X