Tip Hardness Change - Hard -> Medium -> Soft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip Hardness Change - Hard -> Medium -> Soft

Today while practicing, I overheard few chaps playing pool few tables away. One of the folks apparently had purchased a new pool cue and was not happy with the hard tip that came along with it by default. His friends were suggesting him to apply some moisturizers (Nivea / Vaseline) or some oil (don't remember its name) on the tip which eventually will soften it a bit.

I was just curious if it is possible to soften a hard cue tip?
    Furthermore, whether applying moisturizers and oil on the tip or any such other activity have any ill effects on the tip life / performance?
    Last edited by _Harry_Potter_; 21 September 2015, 02:07 PM.
    I Admire Ding, Adore Judd & Would do ANYTHING to play like Ronnie.

Never heard of this I would steer well clear personally. Just buy a tip that suits your game there are plenty to choose from that offer different options.

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
      Never heard of this I would steer well clear personally. Just buy a tip that suits your game there are plenty to choose from that offer different options.
      I agree. There are tips available for different choices and preferences (SS/ S / M / H and so on). I was just curious if anyone has tried above such thing - maybe in some extreme situation? Just curious if any such notion holds true with rest of the members?

Comment

No. Never heard of that.
        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I don't think it will help the longevity of the tip by dripping oil on to it and it could also seep in to the wood and stain the ferrule so it's a bad idea when you can just put on a softer tip. Good advice is never put lubricants on the tip, only use brasso on the ferrule (other brass polishing products are available) and just paper towels and water when cleaning the shaft. A few rubs with damp paper and then a few with dry paper to get it bone dry again.

I don't like a hard tip either and find I can miscue more often and not get position as easily but the best option is to get the box of tips at the club and go through them until you find a few you like and it's important to learn to put a tip on that will wear down to the bare wood and never come off. When I squeeze a tip I like there to be a small amount of give but not too much and if the tip is too flimsy that tells me it will wear down very fast so I steer clear. A good test is to give it a few rubs with sand paper and see how much of the tip comes off. The less that comes off may mean it takes longer to shape with sandpaper after you're attached it but it also means it should be more durable and last a lot longer before re-tipping day arrives again.
          www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
            I don't think it will help the longevity of the tip by dripping oil on to it and it could also seep in to the wood and stain the ferrule so it's a bad idea when you can just put on a softer tip. Good advice is never put lubricants on the tip, only use brasso on the ferrule (other brass polishing products are available) and just paper towels and water when cleaning the shaft. A few rubs with damp paper and then a few with dry paper to get it bone dry again.

I don't like a hard tip either and find I can miscue more often and not get position as easily but the best option is to get the box of tips at the club and go through them until you find a few you like and it's important to learn to put a tip on that will wear down to the bare wood and never come off. When I squeeze a tip I like there to be a small amount of give but not too much and if the tip is too flimsy that tells me it will wear down very fast so I steer clear. A good test is to give it a few rubs with sand paper and see how much of the tip comes off. The less that comes off may mean it takes longer to shape with sandpaper after you're attached it but it also means it should be more durable and last a lot longer before re-tipping day arrives again.
            Wonderful advice Mr. Rottweiler. Thanks a ton!

Comment

Working...
            X