Break Off shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break Off shot

Is it a foul to hit the cushion before the reds whilst breaking? I seem to remember Alex Higgins doing this in the past but no one does so now

No it's ok, altho why would you? Do you maybe mean hitting the pack from behind?

Comment

It could be done accidentally or deliberately. As I said I am sure that Alex Higgins did it in the past and with professionals regularly leaving balls to pot I just wondered if it would be allowed to go off the cushion first to try something different. I must admit that this is regularly done in the local pub but as these are just knock about or practice games it is just used as a way of opening up the pack to make the game quicker

Comment

Didn't Steve Davis roll into the rear of the reds for a while at a few tournaments a couple of years ago ?

Comment

Break Off shot

higgins did it for a spell

Comment

On Twitter Shaun Murphy is soliciting ideas for a new break off shot which would be safe with no potting opportunity left. Good luck with that one unless you roll up to the pack from behind as Steve Davis did for awhile.
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

yeh only if you play it well. just like any shot

Comment

Glad to see someone is actually thinking about taking a different approach, the number of times that red creeps up the table to leave a shot on in the middle its getting ridiculous.

Comment

so it is a legal shot, as long as you dont do it like the australian Hamm who blasted the balls off the break to open them all up, i guess this is not allowed.
                  I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by sharkster63 View Post
                    so it is a legal shot, as long as you dont do it like the australian Hamm who blasted the balls off the break to open them all up, i guess this is not allowed.
                    Hann's break is allowed. Just not a great idea.
                    My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                      Didn't Steve Davis roll into the rear of the reds for a while at a few tournaments a couple of years ago ?
                      Yes he did.as I remember it he was having trouble not leaving potts on.
                      ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                      "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Here is my video of what I would call the perfect break off shot incase anyone missed it! I've been asked what the success rate of this is. However, its more to do with where the cue ball comes to rest! The solitary red into the corner is always a possibility and should it drop, this is a bonus! It also presents you with the first opportunity to score, from your own break!!!

So here it is folks...As promised! Enjoy!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BWuId72t4rQ
                        Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                        https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

I was playing Jamie Cope yesterday and on one of my break offs I even managed a red into the middle! Never known that to happen before. I must have had so much sidespin to pull that off! I have also had a red go into the same corner pocket as the side I've broken from. While always maintaining a safe cueball, behind the baulk colours! This is the future!!! ������
                          Last edited by inevermissblue; 29 November 2015, 11:09 AM.
                          Cheap and Cheerful! 😄

Comment

How is this played Inevermiss? I like to try out shots I see on here, thanks.
                            Is it as close to the top red as possible with check side?
                            Last edited by itsnoteasy; 29 November 2015, 12:02 PM.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                              How is this played Inevermiss? I like to try out shots I see on here, thanks.
                              Is it as close to the top red as possible with check side?
                              Running side...second red down. As much sidespin as possible!
                              Cheap and Cheerful! 😄

Comment

Working...
                              X