Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What decides the price of the cue stick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Willo has a short cue which goes with his own compact style of play. The theory would say he should have a longer cue but in the end, it works more than fine for him. The longer the cue, the longer the backswing so it is an overall balance between how comfortable you are and your material.
    Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Well it's been a real eye-opener joining this forum but I can't believe how much some of these cues are selling for and it seems to me some people are paying a great deal extra merely to have certain cue makers make their cue. I followed a link on one of these threads to a guy who was selling his cues for £500 plus!

Silly amounts for a cue in my opinion and I wouldn't pay that much even if I was well-off.

Comment

Originally Posted by MickyBlue View Post
        Well it's been a real eye-opener joining this forum but I can't believe how much some of these cues are selling for and it seems to me some people are paying a great deal extra merely to have certain cue makers make their cue. I followed a link on one of these threads to a guy who was selling his cues for £500 plus!

Silly amounts for a cue in my opinion and I wouldn't pay that much even if I was well-off.
        Was same for me too Micky when I joined, shed loads of info in here and a lot of good reading.
        £500 plus is nothing lolss ... you should see how much some of the Parris cues go for

Enjoy yourself mate

Comment

Originally Posted by MickyBlue View Post

Glad you enjoy ur stay here and welcome to TSF Micky !!
          The main thing is you play with a cue that suits ur game .
          that could be a €100 cue Or 500 plus .
          U gonna have to play with it otherws u never know .
          Agree with you , 500 plus is a lot of money . But thr are sum buyers
          Who re paying that kind of money for the craftsmnshp of the cue ( likes Colectors )
          . For example , a TW cue has a mutch better finish comperd to a sum cheap 30 mark BCE cue .
          Not to mention a better resale value as well .
          If u think u can buy a cue for 80 mark an play well and you'r happy with it , then you must do it . Why Not ?
          I think the best way to buy a cue is , try before u buy .
          No matter what it cost . As long as plays well for you cuz u re the one who is gonna play with it .

Comment

Good points, I should have added that too, a £100 cue can be just as / if not more effective that a £500 one - just depends who's hands it is in and how they feel with it.

Comment

Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
              Was same for me too Micky when I joined, shed loads of info in here and a lot of good reading.
              £500 plus is nothing lolss ... you should see how much some of the Parris cues go for

Enjoy yourself mate
              Yeah , you can say that lol , agree !!
              Well , as Andrew said once , Most of those peaple who're asking 2.5 k for a JPU , can'nt sell it .
              It's just too match !!

Comment

Haha yes, 2.5 k wow, that is big bucks indeed!!!

Comment

Haha yes, 2.5 k wow, that is big bucks indeed!!!
                  Could be I'm wrong , But I think those long waiting times are one of the main causes of these high prices. imagine , the waiting time for a JPU was six months instead of 3,5 years.
                  Well , I do'nt think anyone could ask 2K for a JPU .

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                    Could be I'm wrong , But I think those long waiting times are one of the main causes of these high prices. imagine , the waiting time for a JPU was six months instead of 3,5 years.
                    Well , I do'nt think anyone could ask 2K for a JPU .
                    It could be, also it may add to the exclusivity of it all.
                    I always wonder what the Snooker player will be doing or what cue will be using during the long wait for the cue.
                    Might end up falling in love with a different cue altogether!

Comment

It could be, also it may add to the exclusivity of it all.
                      I always wonder what the Snooker player will be doing or what cue will be using during the long wait for the cue.
                      Might end up falling in love with a different cue altogether!
                      Good point .
                      I've already mentioned this on this forum ( strange story lol )
                      a m8 of mine orderd a JPU. he bought a GBL (Not new, used) for a low price. Just to play the game until the JPU is gonna be ready. After a few years of waiting he got a mail from JP. the ultimate was ready. and you know what? he sold it within few weeks. I could'nt believe it cuz I saw that cue . He was made to the perfection .
                      Also played very well . When I asked him whay the hell he sold it . He said , he was used to that GBL and JP did'nt play
                      Did'nt suit his game as GBL did .
                      The problem is , he was playing with that GBL for almost 2.5 yrs and he was used to it .
                      Not saying That's gonna happens to every one of us , of crs Not .
                      But , i consider that long waiting time indeed as a problem .
                      As for Colectors , does'nt matter to them . They have planty of time to wait .
                      Last edited by Ramon; 3 January 2016, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Ah I see, I hear GBL cues are a very good standard too so no wonder he got used to it.
                        I suppose the good thing is that JP's will hold their value so a person wouldn't lose money on it in the end.

Yes very true, collectors have no problem with the above.

Comment

Yeah , JP cues have a good resal value . That's for sure .
                          So peaple do'nt have to worry about it . Does'nt suits ur game , u can always sell it .

Comment

There's only so much a cue maker can do to get close to what the customer wants in as perfect a way as possible. Maximus, TP and many others have achieved this, so why wait for a JPU? I'd say ordering a TP III for less than half the money and only 6mths wait is the way fwd. Or why not order an Andy Travis, superb cues made at home. Guys like JP, MW, TW, they're good, but they're no better than AT and TP in my experience.

Comment

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
                              There's only so much a cue maker can do to get close to what the customer wants in as perfect a way as possible. Maximus, TP and many others have achieved this, so why wait for a JPU? I'd say ordering a TP III for less than half the money and only 6mths wait is the way fwd. Or why not order an Andy Travis, superb cues made at home. Guys like JP, MW, TW, they're good, but they're no better than AT and TP in my experience.
                              What cue do you play with and any chance of seeing It

Comment

I almost cried out laughing recently at seeing two JPU on ebay for respectively £1900 and £2500...This was so insane!
                                Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Working...
                                X