Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I go about joining a snooker team/league?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I go about joining a snooker team/league?

Hello,

I've been playing Snooker for around a year now, highest break I've made is 34 and in the past month, my game has drastically improved (potting, cue control and general knowledge) and I believe I am ready to play in an official amateur league.

I've heard that you need to join a team to enter a league, and I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that. Me and a friend would like to join the same team if possible so we can always help to improve one another, as we are doing now; however, we don't know anybody that plays for a team. Are there any ways to apply for teams, and how would I go about doing it? I'm from the West Midlands (Birmingham), so any advice as to how I'd go about joining a team in my area would be great!

Thanks,
    Garry

Originally Posted by Perching View Post
    Hello,

I've been playing Snooker for around a year now, highest break I've made is 34 and in the past month, my game has drastically improved (potting, cue control and general knowledge) and I believe I am ready to play in an official amateur league.

I've heard that you need to join a team to enter a league, and I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that. Me and a friend would like to join the same team if possible so we can always help to improve one another, as we are doing now; however, we don't know anybody that plays for a team. Are there any ways to apply for teams, and how would I go about doing it? I'm from the West Midlands (Birmingham), so any advice as to how I'd go about joining a team in my area would be great!

Thanks,
    Garry
    You're a bit late now, most snooker leagues began Winter seasons in September. However, a lot have Summer leagues beginning in May so you're on the money to practice and improve ready for that. Most teams can do with an extra player though the established players tend to be played most of the time. Just ask around different snooker and social clubs if someone is needed. Most skippers are approachable. If you can't find a team, then you can ask a snooker club or social club mgr if they will host your own team. This generally entails recruiting 3-5 players depending on each league. Even a club with just one table can have two teams due to the home and away nature of league. But then you may have to find another 3 players and run the team yourself, not to everyone's taste, but you do get control of who plays, what's expected, competitive/social attitude of the team, etc.

Or approach the league secretary and ask them about fitting you and your friend into an existing team, most leagues welcome new players with open arms:

http://snook.leaguerepublic.com/l/league/327209898.html
    http://www.freewebs.com/theefficiencyleague/
    Last edited by barrywhite; 9 January 2016, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
      You're a bit late now, most snooker leagues began Winter seasons in September. However, a lot have Summer leagues beginning in May so you're on the money to practice and improve ready for that. Most teams can do with an extra player though the established players tend to be played most of the time. Just ask around different snooker and social clubs if someone is needed. Most skippers are approachable. If you can't find a team, then you can ask a snooker club or social club mgr if they will host your own team. This generally entails recruiting 3-5 players depending on each league. Even a club with just one table can have two teams due to the home and away nature of league. But then you may have to find another 3 players and run the team yourself, not to everyone's taste, but you do get control of who plays, what's expected, competitive/social attitude of the team, etc.
      Yeah, I was thinking about joining a Summer league. I'll ask around, thank you for the help

On another note, how does the system work? How do the matches work, who referees for the matches and how many frames are usually played per match?

Comment

Originally Posted by Perching View Post
        Yeah, I was thinking about joining a Summer league. I'll ask around, thank you for the help

On another note, how does the system work? How do the matches work, who referees for the matches and how many frames are usually played per match?
        It's usually one frame per player in Winter (5 players) though we play 2 frames each in the Summer league (3 players) round my way = 6 frames. The home team refs in my league but they have to list their players in order of play and the opposing team gets to pick who plays who from the home team, so it evens out a bit. So you'll need to brush up on the miss rule. lol That always provides entertainment.

Comment

In a team league we used to have 4 players playing one frame each, random draw so no choosing who plays who, home team spare player referees, no miss rule in our league and everyone plays off scratch.
          In individual league we play all 5 frames, and get one point per frame won, so always need to try even if 3-0 down as still might win last 2 frames for vital points. This league us handicapped to give everyone a fighting chance

Comment

Hi Garry, check out the West Midlands main snooker page.

http://westmids-snooker.leaguerepubl...903000083.html

The lad that runs it is on here and I'm sure he would help you. Think his forum name tommo146 based Wolverhampton.
            Last edited by markz; 9 January 2016, 07:26 PM.

Comment

the sheffield winter league consists of 5 players each play one frame. the home team captain fills out a card listing their players in which order he likes and then the opposing team captain fills out the card with his 5 players without looking at the other teams players.
              so you can meet anyone. our league play a handicap system, the more you win the following year you will be given a handicap.
              in our division which is C we don't play the miss rule however i think Division A do.

i haven't played in the summer league that again is 5 frames however you only have 3 players so 2 players play 2 frames each and the third plays 1 frame.

with regards to refereeing teams take it in turns 1 player from one teams refs the first game then a member of the other team refs the second and so on

Comment

Working...
              X