Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

size of star table pockets

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • size of star table pockets

    Hi, does anyone know for definite the size of pockets on a star tournament table? I have one but everyone says mine is too tight, I measured the corners today and they are around 81-82 mm at the drop. Anyone know if this is too tight or not?

  • #2
    Originally posted by frazz View Post
    Hi, does anyone know for definite the size of pockets on a star tournament table? I have one but everyone says mine is too tight, I measured the corners today and they are around 81-82 mm at the drop. Anyone know if this is too tight or not?
    Buckets Frazz you should get down to my club and I'll show you a tight table lol.

    Comment


    • #3
      Nothing wrong with being too tight Fraser.......when you go and play tournaments the pockets will be like buckets

      Who is saying that they are tight ? Other Pro's ?

      Did World Snooker fit your table ?

      There are 4 Star tables down our club and according to one of the coaches they all play slightly differently but they are all installed by World Snooker .
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by frazz View Post
        Hi, does anyone know for definite the size of pockets on a star tournament table? I have one but everyone says mine is too tight, I measured the corners today and they are around 81-82 mm at the drop. Anyone know if this is too tight or not?
        3.22" is tight but I thought Star standard was 3.25'' so you'd be about right for the template, give or take a mm. According to Geoff Large on here, the WS gap at the fall is just under 3.5'', about 6mm more than yours. But the way the knuckles are cut is also important. If yours are eliptical like WS TV tables, that will help but if they're round cut like my billiards table (3.25'' pockets), the rail shots are very tricky.

        Can you play Trump shot; deep screw the red just off the cushion into the bottom right and the cue ball comes in and out of baulk or will she not take em?
        Last edited by barrywhite; 21 January 2016, 08:30 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          No can't play that shot, but it seems impossible to get a practise table in a club the exact same as a tournament table however good it's done. Yes other pro players comment on the tightness

          Comment


          • #6
            I doubt you will find a normal club with 3 1/4 inch pockets unless as BW says they are the old type billiards table, 3.5 seems to be club pocket size( I think). Private rooms at the corn exchange in Edinburgh feel tighter than 3.5 but by how much I don't know. What are the tables at the place Alabadi plays at, ( sorry I can't remember the name of it)he says he sees loads of pros in there practicing so they must be decent.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              I doubt you will find a normal club with 3 1/4 inch pockets unless as BW says they are the old type billiards table, 3.5 seems to be club pocket size( I think). Private rooms at the corn exchange in Edinburgh feel tighter than 3.5 but by how much I don't know. What are the tables at the place Alabadi plays at, ( sorry I can't remember the name of it)he says he sees loads of pros in there practicing so they must be decent.
              Isn't it the Sheffield Academy ??

              Comment


              • #8
                size of star table pockets

                All tables play slightly different. Even set up to the same template.

                There must be a few things we can't measure

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jrc750 View Post
                  Isn't it the Sheffield Academy ??
                  Yep that's it Jrc, the tables must be set up right there I would have thought.
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by frazz View Post
                    No can't play that shot, but it seems impossible to get a practise table in a club the exact same as a tournament table however good it's done. Yes other pro players comment on the tightness
                    I can't either. I'm faced with a similar quandry allbeit at a completely different level! So my billiards table, I just can't play that shot. I know, the cloths are different and a new shave comp cloth does help take her down. But Davis said those Masters bags were huge, Ronnie said they were potting pockets. And Trump is running riot with shots.

                    If you can't practice those shots because they won't go down on your table, are you limiting the shots in your arsenal? Cause I wouldn't play a shot that wasn't at least 7/10 in practice, in league. So a pro must be thinking 9/10 I guess? And if you can't practice certain shots, would you have the confidence to play them virgin in a match?

                    I doubt Judd would play his array of long pots if he wasn't picking em off in practice and he can only be picking em off if he ain't playing on a 3.25 incher. Cuz he wouldn't sink a Trump special on my billiards table or your table Frazz, but he would sink em on my 3.5'' snooker table. Maybe he plays on a couple of different tables?

                    That's what got me thinking about SWSA and some of Stars at 3.25'' for joe public and some at 3.5'' for the pros. Practice for accuracy on a 3.25'' and practice for power and comps on a 3.5''?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by barrywhite View Post
                      I can't either. I'm faced with a similar quandry allbeit at a completely different level! So my billiards table, I just can't play that shot. I know, the cloths are different and a new shave comp cloth does help take her down. But Davis said those Masters bags were huge, Ronnie said they were potting pockets. And Trump is running riot with shots.

                      If you can't practice those shots because they won't go down on your table, are you limiting the shots in your arsenal? Cause I wouldn't play a shot that wasn't at least 7/10 in practice, in league. So a pro must be thinking 9/10 I guess? And if you can't practice certain shots, would you have the confidence to play them virgin in a match?

                      I doubt Judd would play his array of long pots if he wasn't picking em off in practice and he can only be picking em off if he ain't playing on a 3.25 incher. Cuz he wouldn't sink a Trump special on my billiards table or your table Frazz, but he would sink em on my 3.5'' snooker table. Maybe he plays on a couple of different tables?

                      That's what got me thinking about SWSA and some of Stars at 3.25'' for joe public and some at 3.5'' for the pros. Practice for accuracy on a 3.25'' and practice for power and comps on a 3.5''?
                      If I understood correctly...your cue power and precision is at Judd Trump level, but it is your table that is holding you back, right? Not the fact that you are not actually Judd Trump??

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think Throtts may be your man to answer the op, could drop him a message Frazz.
                        Jeez, come on Barry stop mucking around. Trumps big screw backs aren't 9/10 shots he plays them as a shot to nothing, that's why he's screwing back into baulk, it's not just because he can or to show off.
                        Last edited by itsnoteasy; 21 January 2016, 11:25 PM.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ace man View Post
                          If I understood correctly...your cue power and precision is at Judd Trump level, but it is your table that is holding you back, right? Not the fact that you are not actually Judd Trump??
                          hahaha, no, I'm trying to imagine what pros like the Hawk and Judd get up to if they have the option of different size bag tables. Hawk has this option at SWSA, what he does with it I don't know. But there is no way Trump would attempt his long pots with power unless he'd sunk them 9/10 in practice, so what's he practicing on?!

                          Itsnotsoeasy, you're missing the point, Frazz can't sink those shots on his table and it's not for lack of accuracy, the pockets won't take the ball at the that pace. Now Judd is sinking em on TV as shots to nothing but the pockets take the ball down. The TV table is a Star, Frazz's table is a Star, so what's the difference?

                          Davis says the bags at the Masters were huge, Ronnie calls them potters pockets.
                          Pros see Frazz's table and say the bags are tight.

                          ....................keching!
                          Last edited by barrywhite; 21 January 2016, 11:36 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My last post on this, if it was a nine out of ten shot on the big bags on the tv as you say, what is he not holding the white down the scoring end, why is he playing it as a shot to nothing? It's because it's a really really hard shot, and I don't see him getting too many down the rails at that speed ,those type of shots he takes on are normally into an open bag( not saying he hasn't got the odd one ).
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by barrywhite View Post
                              Hawk has this option at SWSA, what he does with it I don't know.
                              If you don't know then surely your mate knows, doesn't he ?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X