X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pocket question

Hoping to settle an argument here lol

My brother says that the pockets are not named permanently, ill explain ,

when you watch snooker on TV the commentator will say the pocket is top left and as the camera goes from the top of the table the same pocket could be called top right ,

My question is are the pockets named top left top right and never change or do they change just for tv , Hope thats clear :-)
    Last edited by Ziggyboy; 23 January 2016, 08:18 PM.

Originally Posted by Ziggyboy View Post
    Hoping to settle an argument here lol

My brother says that the pockets are not named permanently, ill explain ,

when you watch snooker on TV the commentator will say the pocket is top left and as the camera goes from the top of the table the same pocket could be called top right ,

My question is are the pockets named top left top right and never change or do they change just for tv , Hope thats clear :-)
    Top of the table is black spot looking from baulk so right is corner top middle and bottom right

Comment

so when at top of table playing from black spot end does the bottom right then become bottom left ?

Comment

so when at top of table playing from black spot end does the bottom right then become bottom left ?
        Yes.

It's easier just to say the yellow pocket or green pocket and folk don't get confused. Looking down the table, you've got two black pockets, top left and top right. This way, we don't have to swap lefts and rights depending on which end of the table we're at. lol

Comment

yes but can you confirm if they are called x pocket permanently and that is the name of the pocket or does it change ? regardless if easier are the pockets names or change as depending on taking the shot from top or bottom of table ?

Comment

so nobody knows , lol

Comment

They're not officially named, no. Just depends where you're standing.
              WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
              Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
              --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Just call them yellow side or green, not really important is it!

Comment

The pockets do not have official or permanent names and are referenced (as in commentary and as you describe) as per the point of view from the speaker/audience/viewers; so can change as the "point of view" changes.

As mentioned the "top of the table" is where black is spotted and hence that rail is the "top rail"; baulk rail = bottom rail

Of course, this can be confusing for TV viewers as the "top" is at the bottom of the screen

The closest to permanent/unique names for pockets, as mentioned above, are the Yellow and Green pockets.
                  When I describe play to a person after the event and not near a table, I would describe the middle pockets and the Black pockets with the yellow or green to help denote the side of the table and which pocket.
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

So how much have you won off your brother then? Now we've confirmed the pockets aren't named.

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                      So how much have you won off your brother then? Now we've confirmed the pockets aren't named.
                      think it is the otherway, Ziggy how much did you loss to your brother

Comment

When playing golf on a snooker table, the bags are numbered 1-6. When looking from the 'D' end, Bag 1 being black left, bag 2 being black right and so on in a clockwise direction.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          think it is the otherway, Ziggy how much did you loss to your brother
                          Oh yes you are right! I think he's lost a tenner

Comment

and thats official Dean ? Looks like I've lost the bet then lol

Comment

and thats official Dean ? Looks like I've lost the bet then lol
                              no not official
                              just through all my research and reading the pockets do not have official names, if they did then the written reports of matches would have them and I am sure TV commentators would as well.
                              Yellow/green side is the best way to describe the pockets

not played golf on billiard table, is that the official rule pocket-numbering?
                              and how often does anyone who has not played it before ask "which pocket is which again?" :biggrin:

Comment

Working...
                              X