Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much space do you need for a pool or snooker table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much space do you need for a pool or snooker table?

My local club is closing and I imagine their tables would be up for sale. It got me thinking, how much space does one realistically need for a regular pool table, or for a full-size snooker table? What's the minimum you could get away with if you were willing to compromise on some shots (we've all played on pub tables without enough space), and what would you need to not ever find the walls get in the way?

Just add a margin of X feet on each side of the table? Would that be the same for all tables, because then it's easy to calculate. Also - is a 6x3 or 12x6 table the size of the table, or the size of the baize?

It's the size of the table, the playing area is smaller.
    Ideally you need to add about 5 feet all round but that is a minimum.

P.S. if you are starting from scratch I really wouldn't compromise any shots as it will frustrate you!
    If you are putting a table in an existing space you may be able to go for a smaller table i.e. if it's tight for a full size snooker table go for a 10 foot one instead and the same for a 7 foot pool table you could go 6 foot. It's surprising how much room you need!
    Last edited by danam1; 25 January 2016, 08:36 AM.
    Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

as has been said you need a minimum of 5ft all round, so essentially 10ft onto of the length and width of whatever table you are looking at.
      see http://www.riley-snooker-internation...ze.php?page=33

BUT also what has also been said the more space you have the better and more comfortable your play will be.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks. I hadn't realised so much would be needed; 16x13 is already quite a big room needed!

I'll have to buy a bigger house

I wonder if one could compromise without too much annoyance by obtaining a 48" cue just for those cushion shots. Of course it's not perfect but then I was amazed to hear that some Olympic swimmers practice in their local crappy 20m pool.

Would you rather have a reduced size table with lots of space, or a full-size table and have to compromise?
        Last edited by mr.boy; 25 January 2016, 01:41 PM.

Comment

plenty of room

Comment

Originally Posted by mr.boy View Post
            Thanks. I hadn't realised so much would be needed; 16x13 is already quite a big room needed!

I'll have to buy a bigger house

I wonder if one could compromise without too much annoyance by obtaining a 48" cue just for those cushion shots. Of course it's not perfect but then I was amazed to hear that some Olympic swimmers practice in their local crappy 20m pool.

Would you rather have a reduced size table with lots of space, or a full-size table and have to compromise?
            A club I know has to do just that, down both rails, kiddie's pool cue comes out. Don't go there, it ruins your enjoyment of the game, especially around the black, i.e. tricky to maintain breaks. Go for a smaller table where you can apply the full range of shots.

Comment

Money and time for me can be an issue getting to the club and I was looking at smaller tables for the home, my spare room is 10.5ft*9.5ft so I was looking at 6ft*3ft tables (that's still probably going to be a push though). I found a place that sells tables in that size with slate beds but they are super expensive. Because the tables are also half the size and that they use 1.7/8" size balls I wondered with all of these differences, would there be any real point in the investment...?
              There is also the option of the tables with the composition beds, they are a LOT cheaper. Not fussed about one that folds, the room is going to be empty very soon so I have no obstacles to worry about.
              has anyone here tried a good quality table for the home? is there decent ones that would accept balls bigger than 2" or should I not worry too much about the ball size, I was thinking that its all relative to each other but maybe not...
              Any opinions appreciated.
              :snooker:

Comment

Your room has zero chance of being big enough!

Comment

I'm interested in non-slate beds too. You'd think in 2016 we'd be able to make something suitable although I don't know exactly what the properties of slate are that would have to be replicated... it's hard and flat but what else? Would any stone work as well if you could get it in place and polish it smooth?

Comment

I'm interested in non-slate beds too. You'd think in 2016 we'd be able to make something suitable although I don't know exactly what the properties of slate are that would have to be replicated... it's hard and flat but what else? Would any stone work as well if you could get it in place and polish it smooth?
                    I wouldn't of thought so, I would imagine the glue wouldn't stick?
                    Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Normal cue is around 4ft 10 inches so you will only get to play a limited amount of shots with your own cue. You are barely going to be able to walk round the table in a room of that size. I don't think you will get much enjoyment in that room and I don't think practice would be much benefit if you are constantly having to use a small cue.

Comment

At 6x3 I would rather have a pool table anyway, and use proper sized balls! Then you could go down to a slightly smaller pool table, say a 5' one, and get more space. But ultimately I think your room is just not big enough for it to be fun.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          Your room has zero chance of being big enough!
                          Any other thoughts on what might be worth a punt? This is something I'm gonna be using by myself to practise things like positioning, not for inviting the lads round for a game......
                          If it means shoving the thing in a corner while I try practice shots then I don't really mind.

Comment

Interesting. You can certainly practice potting and position this way you just would likely not be able to play a break, you'd have to position the balls before each shot to fit the cushions you have access to!

Note if it's in a corner you need to be able to get the balls out of the pockets...

Comment

Interesting. You can certainly practice potting and position this way you just would likely not be able to play a break, you'd have to position the balls before each shot to fit the cushions you have access to!

Note if it's in a corner you need to be able to get the balls out of the pockets...
                              There would be enough room to manoeuvre it around. Was never convinced that I'd be doing doing anything more than practicing a little at home.
                              I'd have a pile of bricks there as well to stand on when I need to get the balls back out...

Comment

Working...
                              X