Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• free balls

hello everyone
    I'm new to the snooker forum and was just wanting an answer to a couple of points on free balls

the first question , is it mandatory that a player has to nominate when opting to play a free ball or is this only the case when two balls are in close proximity and it is not clearly obvious which ball is being played

the second question , player a and player b are playing a frame, when player a makes a foul shot leaving a free ball , there are only two reds left on the table,,

player b nominates the pink and rolls up to the pink snookering player a on one of the reds, he is also snookered on the other red by the black ball is this a legal shot

as I realise it is a foul to snooker behind a free ball but in this instance the black is also snookering player a, apologies for the long winded question, was hoping you may be able to clarify these points of rule, thanks.

Q1: actually it is not mandatory for a nomination to be made for the free ball; the rules states that any indication is required. That indication can be pointing with finger or cue; or verbally, or purely by the way/direction the player is playing.
    But it does seem that nearly everyone thinks you have to declare the nomination of the free ball, and I for one wont stop anyone from doing so
    Of course, if there could be confusion (i.e. two possible free balls close in alignment to each other) then the referee could ask the player to declare their nomination before the stroke takes place.

Q2: correct no foul, as not all the balls on (reds) are snookered by the nominated free ball.

also have a look at this threads
    http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...f-you-have-one
    http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...-t)-do-with-it
    Last edited by DeanH; 7 February 2016, 02:07 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I would say for your general club player with no referee in the latter example best to call your nomination, seen it a few times when Mr I know the rules steps in trying to call a foul, I assume the onus is actually on the opposing player to request the nomination in these circumstances, is that correct?
      No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

ah, but was the foul called because there was no nomination called, when Mr I Know the Rules think that it is mandatory :biggrin:

with no ref, then yes the opponent not playing becomes the referee, so a quick "which ball mate?"

Comment

cheers for the reply gents, I always find it best practice to nominate a free ball verbally, it removes the hassle from "Mr I know the rules" stepping in, lol cheers again

Comment

Originally Posted by col2496 View Post
            cheers for the reply gents, I always find it best practice to nominate a free ball verbally, it removes the hassle from "Mr I know the rules" stepping in, lol cheers again
            it is one that ops up regularly
            if you have not already you can download a PDF of the current rules from
            http://www.wpbsa.com/rules-of-the-game

great bedtime reading

oops did I type that out loud! :blush:

Comment

Working...
            X