No announcement yet.

putting side on the cueball unintentionally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

never said pros have problem, but thats how some of them find the centre of cueball
    selby moves his head until he finds the centre, and jimmy white cue under the cueball then hits centre of top etc
    thats how it works for them to find centre

its abit confusing to practice when you are online and u r stil putting right side, and it always looks centre to you
    if there was a training cueball with a dot in the centre and there was some sort of stand under it, it would be easy to set it up

caz with a normal training ball which has dots, u stil have to set up the dot in the centre, which still creates the same aiming problem for me

but if there was something underneat that cueball, so all i had to do was put it straight and the dot was facing me, would'v been wonderful

i couldnt find anything on internet
    im just here for suggestions

Comment

Quick search on eBay found this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/141920454113

Seller is based in Australia as well. Sounds like the sort of thing you describe in your last post.

Comment

thanks
        it wil definately help straight cueing , straight delivery, ppl use bottle etc aswell
        do you think its gonna help my problem aswell?
        caz it has a hole in it
        i was thinking of a cueball size with a dot with a size of a tip with no hole
        i wil get this aswell, but im not sure if this is gonna help me find the centre of cueball

Comment

Originally Posted by mustafa.ansarie View Post
          thanks
          it wil definately help straight cueing , straight delivery, ppl use bottle etc aswell
          do you think its gonna help my problem aswell?
          caz it has a hole in it
          i was thinking of a cueball size with a dot with a size of a tip with no hole
          i wil get this aswell, but im not sure if this is gonna help me find the centre of cueball
          From everything you have said you have the problem and like your coach says you need to re train your eyes to realise it's wrong and find the centre another way. If you have an idea of a dot helping you try and make something simple out of cardboard otherwise it's all about using your own imagination to say your original position is wrong to be on centre ball.

Even try the up and down shot in your normal position then try it by getting down the same but slide your bridge over to the left to adjust the point of tip and still deliver the cue thru straight and not across the line with left side.

Contact your coach again, they are the best people to solve problems.

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
            This video might be useful, a player setting up on baulk line as a straight shot and he's cueing across the ball so his coach helps him.

http://youtu.be/iq2S-0YQQV8
            Being curious I set this up today Markz but put two beer mats tight against the edges of my cue, got down a few times on the baulk line, and stood up to check my cue, it amazed me how bang online it was, I couldn't have done it any better standing up and placing it on the baulk line and inbetween the mats. I honestly don't know how I miss lol.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              Being curious I set this up today Markz but put two beer mats tight against the edges of my cue, got down a few times on the baulk line, and stood up to check my cue, it amazed me how bang online it was, I couldn't have done it any better standing up and placing it on the baulk line and inbetween the mats. I honestly don't know how I miss lol.
              I know what you mean mate. It's those lapses in concentration do us all, usually the easy one after pulling out a great shot.

Comment

There is only one line of aim and one cue to put on this line, you have two eyes so you see two, but the brain usually lets only one take over for the aiming process, and shuts one down subconsciously to do this. It sounds to me like this isn't happening for you and putting one of the two cues you see on the wrong line of the two lines of aim you can see, even though you are only aware of one cue and one line, somehow it's getting mixed up.

Allow only one eye to take over by turning your body slightly to favour the eye that gives you the best sighting when stood up behind the shot finding the line of aim, and let that eye and body position lead you into the stance (feet position) while looking at the object ball, and when halfway down switch focus to the cue ball and let that eye find the centre of the cue ball.

Then play as normal, eye on the object ball on the strike, head and body still.

Comment

Does anybody sight with both eyes nowadays or is it all left/right eyed sighting? I seem to be in a very small minority.
                  "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

To be honest Tom it's one of the few things I don't even think about, I know which one of my eyes is stronger but I just get down and let them sort themselves out, I haven't got a clue if I sight with one, both or what the mixture of the two is. It must be horrible to get down and believe you are bang online but are way off, I wouldn't even know how to fix it appart from what's been said, trying to retrain your eyes.
                    Mustafa, it might be worth you watching Nic Barrows videos about finding your vision centre, as I say it's not something that affects my game so I don't really know if it works but it sounds reasonable what he's saying.
                    Last edited by itsnoteasy; 14 March 2016, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                      To be honest Tom it's one of the few things I don't even think about, I know which one of my eyes is stronger but I just get down and let them sort themselves out, I haven't got a clue if I sight with one, both or what the mixture of the two is. It must be horrible to get down and believe you are bang online but are way off, I wouldn't even know how to fix it appart from what's been said, trying to retrain your eyes.
                      Thank god for that, thought I was the only one I can't say I've ever thought about it either. If I mess up it's usually down to decelerating through the shot, gripping the cue too tightly or being lazy and not walking into the shot properly. If I threw sighting into the mix as an issue I'd struggle to get my head around it.

Hope the original poster sorts it and the guys giving advice know what they're talking about!

Comment

I've never even thought about it either. I know my right eye is my dominant eye, but I just get down and play the shots. My brain gets me on the line properly.
                        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                          Thank god for that, thought I was the only one I can't say I've ever thought about it either. If I mess up it's usually down to decelerating through the shot, gripping the cue too tightly or being lazy and not walking into the shot properly. If I threw sighting into the mix as an issue I'd struggle to get my head around it.

Hope the original poster sorts it and the guys giving advice know what they're talking about!
                          Bang on Tom, the last thing I need is something else to think about. The three things you have said are ninety five percent of my misses, I would have said one hundred but I'm bound to see the wrong line on the odd occasion .

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                            Does anybody sight with both eyes nowadays or is it all left/right eyed sighting? I seem to be in a very small minority.
                            I wouldn't know how to be one eye dominant. What hell am i supposed to do? Shift everything an inch to the right?

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                              I wouldn't know how to be one eye dominant. What hell am i supposed to do? Shift everything an inch to the right?
                              God knows? You almost make it sound simple haha

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                                I've never even thought about it either. I know my right eye is my dominant eye, but I just get down and play the shots. My brain gets me on the line properly.
                                You're a good player so you do it correctly on a subconscious level, get someone to take a photo of you in your stance from directly in front and you will see it. I always knew my left eye was my dominant eye and my sighting eye for snooker, confirmed totally when I had to have a photo taken to send to an optician for my snooker glasses, cue right under my left eye.

Everybody aims along a single line using just one preferred eye, the cue is always under one eye or even a little bit closer to one than the other, this can be done purely with stance or head position, look at Bingham, cue is right under his right eye with his head tilted to the left, Ronnie it's the left eye with no head tilt, boxer stance to get the cue under it, Murphy it's the right eye with a slight boxer stance, Hendry right eye with a square stance, I could go on and on, bolton would say that I always do, but it's important to understand the way it has to be.

For those who have sighting problems, and I don't really understand why this should be so to be honest, but I guess there has to be a reason for it, those players need to find their preferred eye or their vision centre, as Nic Barrow calls it, and what I suggested worked for one of our forum members down under, although it was of course pooh poohed by all at the time, but the bloke was adamant it worked and his game was improving.

I must admit that I myself approach the line of aim with my body positioned slightly to the right so that I'm looking down the line of aim using mostly my left eye, this means that there is no twist into the stance when I drop down, my left eye is looking along the line at all times, plant my right foot and then let my left eye lead my left foot into it's rightful position, when playing a straight blue into the middle from the green side of the table, I don't stand square on to the line and then twist into position, I'm facing the middle of the side cushion between the middle and the yellow pocket, and although both eyes are open it's the left that's looking down the line, the right eye, in conjunction with the left is giving me the overall picture along with depth perception, but it's the left that's doing the aiming.

I also need to approach every shot from the left side so that this happens naturally; when approaching a shot from the right I go beyond it and then move back onto the line from the left side to sight the shot, otherwise It doesn't look right to me, and it doesn't look right because I haven't used my natural preferred eye to sight the line of aim.

Maybe mustafa needs a Jamie Jones set up, you never know, and sticking to something textbook means he can't sight the line of aim properly. It's different for all of us, coaches need to take note of that and not hammer a preferred technique into someone, point out any flaws in the absolute basics and let the student iron these out through practise routines that can be taken to the match table.
                                Last edited by vmax4steve; 17 March 2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X