Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putting side on the cueball unintentionally

hi im new to this forum
    been playing snooker for 5 years, seen few coaches but my game hasnt improved ( highest break 60 )

recently i saw a coach in Sydney,Australia his name is Glen wilkinson ("theres a clip of him playing against neil robertson on youtube")- he is NSW- coach 1

he asked me to play up and down the cusion to check whats happening! i played the shot and i keep putting right hand side, now he stopped me and asked me just aim to the cue ball and dont feature, just hold it close to cueball ( just aim the centre of the cue ball ) - then he asked me if i was aiming at the centre of the cue ball! i said yes its the centre, then he said no you are aiming abit to the right side of the cueball

he said now i will tell you the reason why you think its the centre while in reality you are already aiming to the right side of the cueball , its bcaz your cue is slightly under your left eye and your eye right is telling you something else, ( your right eye and left eye are fighting against each other) . he said some people's eyes arent equal or strong
    i asked him if it was my cueing , he said not, you are already aiming to the right side of cueball without even featuring. i asked him the solution, then he put his training cueball on the brown spot, and put a ball on black spot, he lined it up exactly straight and that dot on the training cueball was in the middle of cueball.
    he asked me to aim for that objectball ( which was in the blackspot ) when i aimed for that and i was down on the shot, i wasnt aiming to that dot point on the training cueball, i was abit to the right, he said, is that centre of cueball to you , i said yes, but he said no its not. he said see that dot spot on cueball, you are just to the right of it, which means your eyes are telling you this is the centre of cueball while in reality its to the right
    he asked me to keep moving my tip abit to the left and keep practicing the up and down practice
    he said u gotta train your eyes , just play up and down and if you put side , just move ur tip to the left of cueball until you train ur eyes, and then your eyes will find the real centre of cueball

i asked him if i could move my cue under right eye or cock wrist , he said no , you dont have cueing problem, its your aiming problem

i practiced this but i find it exactly hard to get used to
    please share your thoughts, i really need your help
    thank you

Just aim slightly left of center.

Comment

putting side on the cueball unintentionally

I'd say keep practiceing it in till it drive a u mental then it should become 2nd nature

Comment

the problem is that its hard to aim abit to the left already when you are standing behing the shot
        but if i put left side while down on shot it feels that it makes offline the line of aim

btw anyone else had this problem?
        i heard mark selby has the same problem he moves until he finds the centre of cuebal

Comment

Try addressing the ball right at the bottom, where you'd miscue, then moving up as required. It is far easier to find centre ball by this method. Many players struggle with this. The idea is the point at which the ball contacts the cloth must be the middle of the CB. That is why many players feather as if they are going to miscue, but actually strike the ball higher when they strike.

And snooker in Sydney? Is Wembley still going strong?
          Last edited by Hello, Mr Big Shot; 10 March 2016, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by mustafa.ansarie View Post
            the problem is that its hard to aim abit to the left already when you are standing behing the shot
            but if i put left side while down on shot it feels that it makes offline the line of aim

btw anyone else had this problem?
            i heard mark selby has the same problem he moves until he finds the centre of cuebal
            You might be just off the line of aim if you think you are cueing straight but still putting side on the cue ball. I will usually just move my feet over slightly to get my foot on line of aim and move the whole cue action over by a fraction till I'm potting long straight blues from baulk line.

Comment

I think a lot of players just aim with the tip of the cue, I have found I have to aim with my grip hand and bridge hand together otherwise I can be a bit offline at the back end ,so even if I have planted my bridge hand bang in the correct position if my grip hand is just out I won't be at the centre of the cue ball, if any of that makes any sense to you.
              This probably ties in a bit with what Markz said above.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

itsnoteasy: i have aiming probelm as i mentioned before, the coach told me some players' eyes cant focus and they have to train their eyes, its has nothing to do with the lineup etc Because as i said before, to me it looks centre of the cueball, i stil think i aim at the centre of the cueball, thats what my eyes tell me, but the coach said thats just your eyes, to him it wasnt centre of the cueball

the line of aim etc are different stuff

i totally agree with mr big shot as he mentioned "That is why many players feather as if they are going to miscue, but actually strike the ball higher when they strike

thats the same thing that coach told me , he said jimmy white does that too
                he also named some other pro player where he aimed to the left which helped him to hit the centre of cue ball

anyone has this sort of problem and how did they get rid of it?
                i find it really really hard to put left side since my eyes are already telling me that this is the centre of cue ball while its not

i wish i could adjust the cue under my right eye etc
                i think the only solution would be moving my tip to the left , putting left side everytime
                i wil try the big shot method too, but dnt know if i can get used to that method
                i have seen a player where he aims and features at bottom of cue ball and in the time of stike he hits centre of cue ball, or top if playing follow etc
                any more suggestions?

Comment

wembly is closed

Comment

Originally Posted by mustafa.ansarie View Post
                    itsnoteasy: i have aiming probelm as i mentioned before, the coach told me some players' eyes cant focus and they have to train their eyes, its has nothing to do with the lineup etc Because as i said before, to me it looks centre of the cueball, i stil think i aim at the centre of the cueball, thats what my eyes tell me, but the coach said thats just your eyes, to him it wasnt centre of the cueball

the line of aim etc are different stuff

i totally agree with mr big shot as he mentioned "That is why many players feather as if they are going to miscue, but actually strike the ball higher when they strike

thats the same thing that coach told me , he said jimmy white does that too
                    he also named some other pro player where he aimed to the left which helped him to hit the centre of cue ball

anyone has this sort of problem and how did they get rid of it?
                    i find it really really hard to put left side since my eyes are already telling me that this is the centre of cue ball while its not

i wish i could adjust the cue under my right eye etc
                    i think the only solution would be moving my tip to the left , putting left side everytime
                    i wil try the big shot method too, but dnt know if i can get used to that method
                    i have seen a player where he aims and features at bottom of cue ball and in the time of stike he hits centre of cue ball, or top if playing follow etc
                    any more suggestions?
                    Do you need glasses, maybe go for an eye test.

Comment

its nothing to do with glasses, most players have these problem
                      infact this is a major problem for most players, this might be happening to you aswell and u dont know it yet
                      once you fix this, u can easily make 100 breaks if you have ur other techniques right
                      my coach had the same problem, and he said he fixed it by moving his tip to left of the cueball until his eye believed that was centre of cueball

Comment

I'm no coach so if I was you I'd work on what your coach has been telling you and you should be making centuries easily like he is. Good luck in your search for an answer.

Comment

I agree with mustafa. Most players just need to move their tip slightly to the left and then they just constantly make centuries.
                          WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                          Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

just read what big shot replied, i totally agree with him, dnt know how other people dont understand what i meant

Comment

mark selby is stil having the same problem
                              he moves until he finds his aim spot

jimmy white used to strike like "the big shot " mentioned
                              aiming at the bottom of cueball while featuring

so there you go, atleast i know 2 of pro players facing same problems

Comment

Working...
                              X