free ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• free ball

If there were just the colours on the table and the yellow was behind the black and say the pink was on the green spot after a foul the cue ball ends up behind the pink so a free ball if you now take pink as a free an roll it towards the black and leave the cue ball resting on the brown so all the balls are now in a straight line is this a foul? As it's the brown that's the nearest snookering ball even if the pink is in front of black and yellow

If I understand you correctly the yellow is behind the black and therefore nearest the top cushion. The white is behind the brown on the baulk cushion side then NO foul. Brown is the snookering ball cos its nearest to the cue ball in a direct line between cue ball and object ball.

Comment

Yes that's how the Ball's have ended up .a lad where i play has been to ref and he says it would be a foul because the pink is now inline if the other balls were taken away,i said it was no foul as it is the brown which is now the snookering ball. And if you started removing balls where would it end?

Comment

And he said the rule about it had been changed a few year's ago ?

Comment

Originally Posted by macsho View Post
          Yes that's how the Ball's have ended up .a lad where i play has been to ref and he says it would be a foul because the pink is now inline if the other balls were taken away,i said it was no foul as it is the brown which is now the snookering ball. And if you started removing balls where would it end?
          But if you take that a step further ,if you take all the balls away you could see the yellow, so it's not even a free ball, that sounds as daft as his answer( even if he's right ,that's just wrong lol) you haven't snookered behind the nominated ball( pink) you have snookered behind the brown.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

the rule has been the same for many, many years.
            You said it yourself right in your first post, the nearest ball to the cue ball is considered the snookering and only that ball is considered, as it is not the nominated free ball, NO FOUL.
            You never take "balls away" to change the snookering ball.
            It is always JUST the nearest ball in a direct line that is considered the snooker ball.*

"a lad where i play has been to ref" been to see a referee, or has done a referee course?
            you are clear in your description that the brown is the nearest ball, the pink was nominated, so no foul.

*if there are more than one ball snookering and they are equidistant from the cue ball than they are all considered as the snookering ball and appropriate action applies; but you did not describe this in your OP
            Last edited by DeanH; 20 March 2016, 07:20 PM.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

He said he'd seen a ref and been on a course ? Don't known where he'd been for the course?

Comment

Originally Posted by macsho View Post
                He said he'd seen a ref and been on a course ? Don't known where he'd been for the course?
                Maybe he failed

Comment

Yer ha ha will see him tomorrow and put him right cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X