Practice vs Playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice vs Playing

I suck at snooker, I play for several years but never did it regularly (once a month/week).
    My highest break is probably around 20 on a small table.
    I decided to take it more seriously as I feel frustrated playing the same level for such a long time.
    The thing is, I tried practicing only 2-3 times, rest of the time I was just playing against friends.
    My question is, is solely practicing instead of just playing can make the difference for me? Or what matters is simply table time?

Nope practice wont do you any good on its own as if you at the same standard for years even just on a small table so you now have ingrained bad habits. You must seek the help off a good standard player or a proper coach in your area and get into right shape for the game with your basics ironing out any major issues as I feel if that is your standard after several years of playing three times a week I don't like saying it but your standard is rather poor so maybe you will have a few glitches in your set up.
    Some people can work around these things make them part of a solid consistent setup just with loads of practice but you still at this poor standard so somethings clearly not right.

So what is the point in practicing the wrong things?
    Get someone to help first then put more than a few hours in doing what they advise - routines - technique and the basics especially at first will need a bit of tweaking.
    Last edited by Byrom; 30 March 2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I agree with Byrom. I've seen a lot of casual players over the years who typically play in groups. If any of them were to get serious they would need a lot of work to iron out the various idiosyncrasies they've developed over the years.

As an aside, I think playing snooker in groups is probably one of the most detrimental ways to learn the game. You're table time is reduced exponentially, rarely do you get an easy starter which often results in nervy play. Not saying this is the situation the OP is encountering, but it's been my experience over the years observing other players.

Comment

Thanks for the answers,
        I've seen a coach a couple of days ago and he worked with me on a proper stance and straight cueing. I do have some bad habits.
        So again, should I just focus on practicing instead of playing? Is it a big factor?

Comment

50 - 50

But yeah you need to put the hours in solo - get some routines downloaded free if you have I phone download the ding junhui ap or another do a few different things to work on what your coach advises then set yourself little targets to beat keep yourself amused.

Comment

Solo practise works. Matches work too, but it seems to me to make big progress you'd need to regularly play against someone a lot better, not marginally better. For years.

Comment

I only play my uncle, who is about the same skill as me.

Although during each match I set myself little goals, such as practice middle pockets or have a safety play game.

Comment

Every player will probably have their own ratio for solo practice vs match practice. For me, in a perfect world I would want 70% solo 30% match practice or 60/40. I guess it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I would think having just seen a coach, the OP should probably maximize solo practice to ingrain new techniques, so a 70/30 split would be ideal.

Comment

Originally Posted by Csmith View Post
                  Every player will probably have their own ratio for solo practice vs match practice. For me, in a perfect world I would want 70% solo 30% match practice or 60/40. I guess it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I would think having just seen a coach, the OP should probably maximize solo practice to ingrain new techniques, so a 70/30 split would be ideal.
                  good advice

Comment

Working...
                  X