Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by dmorley85 View Post
    Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
    Dave, you need to hold the cue in front of you and use a new blade to trim it. There's a video on YouTube of Trevor White doing it, I'm sure some kind soul will put a link up. Trust me, it's the best way to get the tip flush. Steve.
    Cheers Ste. Do you go across the sides of the tip with the blade? I tend to turn the cue upside down, push ithe cue down on a flat surface and then trim downwards but with cutting downwards you tend to get flat patches on the sides of the tip and then it's a bugger to make the flat patches on the sides perfectly round again with sanding sideways around the edges of the tip!
    Hold the cue in your left hand and the blade in your right, put the blade onto the side of the tip and slowly cut around. You don't have to cut it to the ferrule in one go, take your time!
    #jeSuisByrom

Comment

another tip question?

Has anyone played with a blue Phoenix Lamminated medium tip? You don't seem to be able to get them anymore only red or black.*

If anyone could make a recommendation please. Much appreciate it.
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
        From the Parris YouTube videos they turn cue upside down and cut the tip downwards with Stanley knife. Seen other cue makers using a lathe. I've tried the TW way of doing it and even a brand new blade won't cut the tip like he does, must use some super sharp blades.
        Try using a scalpel and turn the cue, this will certainly be sharp enough. Take a small amount as you turn the cue so the blade doesn't have to take too much off at a time.
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
          Try using a scalpel and turn the cue, this will certainly be sharp enough. Take a small amount as you turn the cue so the blade doesn't have to take too much off at a time.
          Cheers Shockerz, I just turn cue on to tip and cut down now. Then tidy sides and burnish with strip of leather.

Comment

Cheers Shockerz, I just turn cue on to tip and cut down now. Then tidy sides and burnish with strip of leather.
            Yeah I used to do it that way but personally find it a lot easier just spinning the cue upright.

It doesn't really matter too much as long as you end up with the result you want without too much effort.

Comment

Yeah I used to do it that way but personally find it a lot easier just spinning the cue upright.

It doesn't really matter too much as long as you end up with the result you want without too much effort.
              Agreed mate. I'm back using elks and rather than use the tip press I just use an old billiard ball to tap the tip in. It's ready to play from first shot and no bedding in then.

Comment

Agreed mate. I'm back using elks and rather than use the tip press I just use an old billiard ball to tap the tip in. It's ready to play from first shot and no bedding in then.
                That's not a bad call. I had a mate who played at county level years ago that could always be found pushing his cue tip into the door frame at the club...tap...tap.....tap.

It would be like a machine gun he did it so fast. I guess that would be similar and you can watch tv at the same time.

Comment

[QUOTE=Shockerz;944598]That's not a bad call. I had a mate who played at county level years ago that could always be found pushing his cue tip into the door frame at the club...tap...tap.....tap.

That brings back a nice memory, I used to bang new tips in with my dad's Onyx lighter when I was a kid. Heaviest weight with a nice rounded shape. Did a great job, happy Dayz. Cheers. 
                  Last edited by Cue crafty; 1 November 2017, 10:24 PM.
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Shaping a tip?

Onyx was always a sign of class in the 70's ?
                    #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Originally Posted by dmorley85 View Post
                      How do you get the sides of the tip so flush with the ferrule and so neat looking?
                      An oversized sharpener is easier to cut the side of the tip like a butter. No point rushing to install good tip.Take your time and slowly sand off the side to flush with ferrule and finish off with finer sandpaper. I use shoe wax to burnish the tip wall and brasso to shine the ferrule.
                      Hi Ho The Merry Yo, The Black Went In The Hole~ :snooker:

Comment

That is a particularly nice tip and goes well with a laminated cue!
                        Thanks Shockerz
                        Yup, the laminated tip play nice with laminated shaft especially on slowly table.

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                          Wow, thats a pic of beauty. I send my shaft to yu, buddy, when it needs one of those :snooker:
                          Thanks throtts
                          It's my honor if u wish to fly the cue over

Comment

Originally Posted by Fisherboi View Post
                            Recently fitted mine with Omin red.

[ATTACH]18468[/ATTACH]
                            OMGGGG How is it possible?!?! Superb!

Comment

Thanks throtts
                              It's my honor if u wish to fly the cue over
                              Fisherboi how did you manage to get that particular tip in the picture so flush to the ferrule & so neat looking? What are your tequniques & what did you use to achieve this?

Comment

An oversized sharpener is easier to cut the side of the tip like a butter. No point rushing to install good tip.Take your time and slowly sand off the side to flush with ferrule and finish off with finer sandpaper. I use shoe wax to burnish the tip wall and brasso to shine the ferrule.
                                What kind of sharpener did you use and what kind of shoe wax?

Comment

Working...
                                X