Shaping a tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaping a tip?

Hi, I have sort of shaped my tip, I think its ok but how do you do yours?

The tips I used to use were already domed so I never really had to do much to it.

I have just fitted a talisman M and shaped it to the ferrule.

i don't like a mushroom tip so first i invert the cue placing tip on a piece of scrap wood and trim tip flush to ferrule with a craft knife must have new or very sharp blade then taking a piece of rough emery cloth or glass paper holding it against a wall place the side of the tip touching the abrasive paper and slide the cue left and right across the surface of the abrasive whilst rotating the cue continually keep doing this till tip is flush with ferrule then place a piece of the same rough abrasive kind of in the palm of the hand dome the tip by sanding it in downward strokes only not to damage the fibres in the tip when the shape looks good take some wire wool and burnish side of tip and clean excess glue off ferrule works for me but everyone probably has their own method which works for them

Comment

its a matter of preference, some like a flatter tip with only a slight done some like mushroom tips, personally i like mine with a slight dome and cut nicely into the ferrule.

Comment

I normally use sheet of the good quality 240 aluminium oxide sandpaper, folded in half. When you cup it in your hand it goes into a nice dome shape and then I'll use strokes going downward and outward from the center.

Comment

Originally Posted by luke-h View Post
          its a matter of preference, some like a flatter tip with only a slight done some like mushroom tips, personally i like mine with a slight dome and cut nicely into the ferrule.
          Here's a few tip shapes I have been collecting! Click on pic to make a bit bigger but you get the idea. If still can't see, hit CTRL and + on your pc a few times to make screen bigger!

Snooker Crazy Snooker Tips.png
          Last edited by Shockerz; 4 August 2016, 08:44 AM.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Recently fitted mine with Omin red.

Hi Ho The Merry Yo, The Black Went In The Hole~ :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Fisherboi View Post

[ATTACH]18468[/ATTACH]
              How do you get the sides of the tip so flush with the ferrule and so neat looking?

Comment

[ATTACH]18468[/ATTACH]
                That is a particularly nice tip and goes well with a laminated cue!
                Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

[ATTACH]18468[/ATTACH]
                  Wow, thats a pic of beauty. I send my shaft to yu, buddy, when it needs one of those :snooker:
                  JP Majestic
                  3/4
                  57"
                  17oz
                  9.5mm Elk

Comment

Any ideas anyone on how to get the tip so flush to the ferrule & so neat like in the picture? It's a pain when the tip is oversized and you have to trim it down and sand by hand to get it flush and near enough impossible to get it like this picture!

Comment

Shaping a tip?

Dave, you need to hold the cue in front of you and use a new blade to trim it. There's a video on YouTube of Trevor White doing it, I'm sure some kind soul will put a link up. Trust me, it's the best way to get the tip flush. Steve.
                      #jeSuisByrom

Comment

you need to get some callouses on your finger tips to do this well :wink:
                        but does work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N-h...KsT90KglerqXA=
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
                          Dave, you need to hold the cue in front of you and use a new blade to trim it. There's a video on YouTube of Trevor White doing it, I'm sure some kind soul will put a link up. Trust me, it's the best way to get the tip flush. Steve.
                          Cheers Ste. Do you go across the sides of the tip with the blade? I tend to turn the cue upside down, push ithe cue down on a flat surface and then trim downwards but with cutting downwards you tend to get flat patches on the sides of the tip and then it's a bugger to make the flat patches on the sides perfectly round again with sanding sideways around the edges of the tip!
                          Last edited by dmorley85; 1 November 2017, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                            you need to get some callouses on your finger tips to do this well :wink:
                            but does work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N-h...KsT90KglerqXA=
                            Thats a sharp blade there. i try it like that next time. JP put two beauties on my sticks not so long ago. Mega flush and along with a super shiny ferule. JP would have a machine surely to turn the shaft though, would he not?...
                            JP Majestic
                            3/4
                            57"
                            17oz
                            9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                              Thats a sharp blade there. i try it like that next time. JP put two beauties on my sticks not so long ago. Mega flush and along with a super shiny ferule. JP would have a machine surely to turn the shaft though, would he not?...
                              From the Parris YouTube videos they turn cue upside down and cut the tip downwards with Stanley knife. Seen other cue makers using a lathe. I've tried the TW way of doing it and even a brand new blade won't cut the tip like he does, must use some super sharp blades.

Comment

Working...
                              X