X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockerz
    replied
    Originally Posted by markz View Post
    Agreed mate. I'm back using elks and rather than use the tip press I just use an old billiard ball to tap the tip in. It's ready to play from first shot and no bedding in then.
    That's not a bad call. I had a mate who played at county level years ago that could always be found pushing his cue tip into the door frame at the club...tap...tap.....tap.

It would be like a machine gun he did it so fast. I guess that would be similar and you can watch tv at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• markz
    replied
    Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
    Yeah I used to do it that way but personally find it a lot easier just spinning the cue upright.

It doesn't really matter too much as long as you end up with the result you want without too much effort.
    Agreed mate. I'm back using elks and rather than use the tip press I just use an old billiard ball to tap the tip in. It's ready to play from first shot and no bedding in then.

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    replied
    Cheers Shockerz, I just turn cue on to tip and cut down now. Then tidy sides and burnish with strip of leather.
    Yeah I used to do it that way but personally find it a lot easier just spinning the cue upright.

It doesn't really matter too much as long as you end up with the result you want without too much effort.

Leave a comment:

• markz
    replied
    Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
    Try using a scalpel and turn the cue, this will certainly be sharp enough. Take a small amount as you turn the cue so the blade doesn't have to take too much off at a time.
    Cheers Shockerz, I just turn cue on to tip and cut down now. Then tidy sides and burnish with strip of leather.

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    replied
    From the Parris YouTube videos they turn cue upside down and cut the tip downwards with Stanley knife. Seen other cue makers using a lathe. I've tried the TW way of doing it and even a brand new blade won't cut the tip like he does, must use some super sharp blades.
    Try using a scalpel and turn the cue, this will certainly be sharp enough. Take a small amount as you turn the cue so the blade doesn't have to take too much off at a time.

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied
    another tip question?

Has anyone played with a blue Phoenix Lamminated medium tip? You don't seem to be able to get them anymore only red or black.*

If anyone could make a recommendation please. Much appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• fredkite
    replied
    Originally Posted by dmorley85 View Post
    Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
    Dave, you need to hold the cue in front of you and use a new blade to trim it. There's a video on YouTube of Trevor White doing it, I'm sure some kind soul will put a link up. Trust me, it's the best way to get the tip flush. Steve.
    Cheers Ste. Do you go across the sides of the tip with the blade? I tend to turn the cue upside down, push ithe cue down on a flat surface and then trim downwards but with cutting downwards you tend to get flat patches on the sides of the tip and then it's a bugger to make the flat patches on the sides perfectly round again with sanding sideways around the edges of the tip!
    Hold the cue in your left hand and the blade in your right, put the blade onto the side of the tip and slowly cut around. You don't have to cut it to the ferrule in one go, take your time!

Leave a comment:

• markz
    replied
    Originally Posted by throtts View Post
    Thats a sharp blade there. i try it like that next time. JP put two beauties on my sticks not so long ago. Mega flush and along with a super shiny ferule. JP would have a machine surely to turn the shaft though, would he not?...
    From the Parris YouTube videos they turn cue upside down and cut the tip downwards with Stanley knife. Seen other cue makers using a lathe. I've tried the TW way of doing it and even a brand new blade won't cut the tip like he does, must use some super sharp blades.

Leave a comment:

• throtts
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    you need to get some callouses on your finger tips to do this well :wink:
    but does work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N-h...KsT90KglerqXA=
    Thats a sharp blade there. i try it like that next time. JP put two beauties on my sticks not so long ago. Mega flush and along with a super shiny ferule. JP would have a machine surely to turn the shaft though, would he not?...

Leave a comment:

• dmorley85
    replied
    Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
    Dave, you need to hold the cue in front of you and use a new blade to trim it. There's a video on YouTube of Trevor White doing it, I'm sure some kind soul will put a link up. Trust me, it's the best way to get the tip flush. Steve.
    Cheers Ste. Do you go across the sides of the tip with the blade? I tend to turn the cue upside down, push ithe cue down on a flat surface and then trim downwards but with cutting downwards you tend to get flat patches on the sides of the tip and then it's a bugger to make the flat patches on the sides perfectly round again with sanding sideways around the edges of the tip!
    Last edited by dmorley85; 1 November 2017, 04:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    you need to get some callouses on your finger tips to do this well :wink:
    but does work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N-h...KsT90KglerqXA=

Leave a comment:

• fredkite
    replied
    Shaping a tip?

Leave a comment:

• dmorley85
    replied
    Any ideas anyone on how to get the tip so flush to the ferrule & so neat like in the picture? It's a pain when the tip is oversized and you have to trim it down and sand by hand to get it flush and near enough impossible to get it like this picture!

Leave a comment:

• throtts
    replied
    Originally Posted by Fisherboi View Post
    Recently fitted mine with Omin red.

[ATTACH]18468[/ATTACH]
    Wow, thats a pic of beauty. I send my shaft to yu, buddy, when it needs one of those :snooker:

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    replied
    Originally Posted by Fisherboi View Post
    Recently fitted mine with Omin red.

[ATTACH]18468[/ATTACH]
    That is a particularly nice tip and goes well with a laminated cue!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X