X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulling the cue back in a straight line

hi
    i recently tried doing something new, it works but not consistent
    the thing i changed was, pulling the cue back few inches then opening the grip and it seems the cue pulls back much straighter

what me and most players do is, just open the grip as soon as you are pulling it back, like naturaly
    but if i tried controlling the cue , pulling the cue back slowly then slowly opening the grip, the cue comes back very straight, but i dont feel confident

has anyone tried this? shouldnt i be doing this?
    thanks

Yes but it depends on the player and their cue action. Some have longer or shorter backswings. Both can and do go wrong though... I would stick to what feels right and gets most co consistent results. Release grip open the backhand and drive through. Chest to cue (4th point of contact) is essential as the further you backswing the more can go wrong.
    Good luck

Comment

I try to completely remove my hand from the equation, as long as my grip is right, just move the elbow.

Comment

Originally Posted by mustafa.ansarie View Post
        hi
        i recently tried doing something new, it works but not consistent
        the thing i changed was, pulling the cue back few inches then opening the grip and it seems the cue pulls back much straighter

what me and most players do is, just open the grip as soon as you are pulling it back, like naturaly
        but if i tried controlling the cue , pulling the cue back slowly then slowly opening the grip, the cue comes back very straight, but i dont feel confident

has anyone tried this? shouldnt i be doing this?
        thanks
        You say it works but is not consistent - if it makes things more consistent it is working otherwise its not.

The grip is a personal thing whatever makes you get through the ball consistently straight cant be a bad thing. I vary my grip depending on the shot and have tried various things to find the right one for me.

There are other things that go towards straight cueing not just grip, there is eliminating movement like bridge movement, stance, head position, sighting, how you get down to the shot, how you approach the shot, maybe foot position, locking points on the body and all sorts of basic pre shot things that contribute.

You can change some to achieve more consistency. For example as I got older I found I did not focus the same or as quick, so I also switched to pausing at the white pulling back more slowly and watching the cue come back before transferring my eyes to where I am aiming - this takes care of the pause bit - before I push thro. This helped me feel a little more in control and my timing improved.

There are various different grips - some players grip with different fingers, some lock the wrist, some curve it inwards, some have a flicky action, some more tight and less movement some really loose its what works for you.

It is not much good asking us on the forum if you should do something like this grip thing or not - as you will get various responses - and I think you need to discover what works for yourself as a player more than what works for us. Set up some exercises like long blues try potting hundred in each pocket with this new technique and 100 in each pocket with your old technique - tweak one thing at once and find out which works best for yourself.
        Last edited by Byrom; 24 April 2016, 01:05 AM.

Comment

mustafa.ansarie

mustafa.yetanotherquestion

Comment

pulling the cue back in a straight line

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
            I try to completely remove my hand from the equation, as long as my grip is right, just move the elbow.
            well thats ok if it works for you as already stated in this thread. what i would say though is that sometimes u do need to use the wrist and grip more to get more action on the ball - i use a variety depending on what shot im playing you see. But again if this technique you use is enabling you to play all the shots you want comfortably then leave it well alone

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
              mustafa.ansarie

mustafa.yetanotherquestion
              I think you mean Mustafanotheranswer

Comment

A perfect candidate for Nic's CAT device
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
                X