No announcement yet.

Rule Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree its not the crucible but we play by the rules.. nobody likes the miss rule but we all play it.... rules are rules, if it was ethics I would have to agree this is not a foul. This guy is honest and would have called a foul on himself had he touched the green, this is not what is in question. The rules rule....
    I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Thanks, LondonLad, very simple rule. I accept your ruling... his action caused the ball to move but indirectly, not directly or intentionally, but there is no question in my mind that his action caused the ball to move then fall into the spot hole, this was very visible. The US Open would have taken a stroke from him.... Lol The things that can happen during a snooker match, someone could write a book....
      Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
      If the player has not physically touched the ball then you cannot call a foul.

Rule 3.15 is intended to refer to something/someone off the table causing a movement of the balls. If balls move as a result of defects in the table (eg a ball suddenly rolling off it's spot), then they are not replaced, and it's not a foul... after all such a movement may not be part of a shot.

The only exception to this is when the cue ball is a touching ball or close to being touching another ball. If on subsequent examination the situation has reversed, then the referee is entitled to move the balls back so that they are indeed touching/not touching as appropriate.

Comment

Originally Posted by sharkster63 View Post
        Thanks, LondonLad, very simple rule. I accept your ruling... his action caused the ball to move but indirectly, not directly or intentionally, but there is no question in my mind that his action caused the ball to move then fall into the spot hole, this was very visible. The US Open would have taken a stroke from him.... Lol The things that can happen during a snooker match, someone could write a book....
        Tim interpreted the rules correctly at the first time of asking. It's not that uncommon to see balls move 'off the shot' when a player places his bridge hand on the table. According to the rules, it's not a foul.

Comment

I agree its not the crucible but we play by the rules.. nobody likes the miss rule but we all play it.... rules are rules, if it was ethics I would have to agree this is not a foul. This guy is honest and would have called a foul on himself had he touched the green, this is not what is in question. The rules rule....
          You play the miss rule in a bounce game in the club?
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

No , I only play it when I have to... I don't like the miss rule at all, especially when it changes from week to week, if its going to be bad leave it like that and don't try to improve it... I am at the point now that I prefer to play the ball must be hit, this way its honest and fair...

Comment

Ok Sharkster, thanks for the reply, what we do, is call it on ourselves, if I feel I should have done better( we all know if we should or could have made a better effort) I will always offer the miss as do most of the folk I play against. Must hit makes the rules clear to everyone from the get go,so I suppose that's a fair point, the only thing I don't like about it is I feel it encourages roll up snookers which for me just spoils a game of snooker
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

No , I only play it when I have to... I don't like the miss rule at all, especially when it changes from week to week, if its going to be bad leave it like that and don't try to improve it... I am at the point now that I prefer to play the ball must be hit, this way its honest and fair...
                Unless you are at very good amateur level I don't know why you are playing the miss rule ? Just spoils any fun at all, creates bad atmosphere between players and basically ruins your night out !

Comment

I don't like the miss rule at all, especially when it changes from week to week,
                  Errm, it's not fundamentally changed since September 1995! (Apart from misses not being called when you can only draw). It was rewritten into a more understandable form in 2014, but none of the meaning changed.
                  Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

I am just venting, I am talking about the league I play in, it changed often and I wish they would just make a decision and stick with it...
                    Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
                    Errm, it's not fundamentally changed since September 1995! (Apart from misses not being called when you can only draw). It was rewritten into a more understandable form in 2014, but none of the meaning changed.

Comment

Working...
                    X