Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronnie's "Murphy/Ding" tweet

Hey fellas,

I was just scouring twitter and I came across this tweet from a couple of months ago. Anyone have any idea what Ronnie is getting at here?

https://twitter.com/ronnieo147/statu...21557758820354

"Ding will always have more class then Murphy will ever have"

I can't say for sure but he always had big respect for Ding, i remember Ronnie saying in 2010 that he was one of the two players from the newer generation that have a ''snooker brain'' along with Selby.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oth...ker-brain.html

Comment

Originally Posted by Kargetina View Post
      I can't say for sure but he always had big respect for Ding, i remember Ronnie saying in 2010 that he was one of the two players from the newer generation that have a ''snooker brain'' along with Selby.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oth...ker-brain.html
      I really have to side with ronnie on this eventhough i like murphy over ding. For all of murphy's superb cueing and long potting, he should be winning many more titles and world champ than what he has now. He should have at the very least beaten bingham last year when he was playing so well and leading.
      His weak point is his snooker brain. Even he admits his shortcoming which he tries to counter by playing offensively. His main forte is his long potting which he tries to use it to the maximum effect to have an edge over others.
      Ding has better all round game as well as selby. So murphy should also be following in ronnie's footsteps by learning the art of safety and snookering from a master to improve his all round game, complementing his great long ball potting and marvellouscue action. This would ensure many more titles and legendary status for him.

Comment

^

'Who's got it or who had it in snooker? Jimmy is obviously one and the rest of the list would be Alex Higgins, John Higgins, Paul Hunter, Stephen Hendry, Steve Davis, Ding, and probably Mark Selby. They see it early, the one ball on the table which will win you the game.'

Time for Robbo, Tramp, Smurf and the rest to put their cues down I guess? Ronnie reckons most pros haven't got the intelligence to to play the game. Jesus, us 'woodpushers' are really ****ed!
        Last edited by Big Splash!; 29 August 2016, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
          ^

'Who's got it or who had it in snooker? Jimmy is obviously one and the rest of the list would be Alex Higgins, John Higgins, Paul Hunter, Stephen Hendry, Steve Davis, Ding, and probably Mark Selby. They see it early, the one ball on the table which will win you the game.'

Time for Robbo, Tramp, Smurf and the rest to put their cues down I guess? Ronnie reckons most pros haven't got the intelligence to to play the game. Jesus, us 'woodpushers' are really ****ed!
          We're probably keener though as you get older as their's is a love that turned into job, wherea's ours has always been a love.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Does Ronnie think that little of Murphy? Maybe it's some internal joke that we're not getting. At least I hope it is.

Comment

There is history. Ronnie doesn't like Murphy because Murphy repeatedly digs at Ronnie's lack of support for the game that has made him a multi-millionaire. Having said that, I agree that Murphy does not have a top level snooker brain. Ding has a better one, but not the required mental strength to go with it. Just goes to show that few players have ever had the full package. Of the modern era, Davis, Hendry, Higgins, Ronnie and Selby are the only ones who have got it. Jimmy and Alex never had it.
              Last edited by ghost121; 29 August 2016, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
                There is history. Ronnie doesn't like Murphy because Murphy repeatedly digs at Ronnie's lack of support for the game that has made him a multi-millionaire. Having said that, I agree that Murphy does not have a top level snooker brain. Ding has a better one, but not the required mental strength to go with it. Just goes to show that few players have ever had the full package. Of the modern era, Davis, Hendry, Higgins, Ronnie and Selby are the only ones who have got it. Jimmy and Alex never had it.
                I fully agree with you mate as seen in my earlier post. However, ronnie is right about jimmy as he is a great potter and break builder of the game whose knowledge of angles is quite good too. But he tends to give a thrash of the balls during his younger days whenever he sees a chance to pot, ignoring the high degree of difficulty over a good safety. Plus the added fact that his lifestyle and lack of fighting spirit(or bottle as said) always lets him down. This is so evidently obvious in the few world championship finals he contested where he was clearly the leading and better player only to lose it all at the end.

It really is a pity in the modern era not to see jimmy become world champion. It dreads me to think of it and i am sure millions feel the same way as i do too. Still hoping he does it one day eventhough he is too old for it. Great to see him playing and practising so hard and changing his lifestyle and sliimming down for his love of the game. My fullest support to jimmy.

Comment

I would have enjoyed seeing Jimmy take a world title, too. I would argue that he didn't deserve one though, because his lack of professionalism off the table simply wasn't right. That's my point about him not being one of the few complete players. He certainly had the skills.

Comment

1982 obviously passed you by. Alex was always addicted to one substance or another but to say he never had it is wide of the mark. Reardon famously rebuilt his game in secret over six months because of what the Hurricane did to him. Alex revolutionised the game in the early 70s. He was a pioneeer, allbeit, a faulted pioneer with dreadful street technique. More pool shark than snooker player but his talent made poor technique work. Alex had 'it' at times.

But Ronnie is talking snooker brains here, not having 'it'. Bottle, total focus with all of life shaped to snooker, no distractions, practice and hard work, never giving up, fighting till the last ball are the other things required to complete what the snooker brain has worked out very quickly, so that the player can become a great. Jimmy missed out on a few of these things but his snooker brain and talent cannot be denied.
                    Last edited by Big Splash!; 29 August 2016, 12:03 PM.

Comment

I think you are very harsh with Murphy in saying he doesn't have a "snooker brain". Come on...the man is a world champ, multiple ranking event winner and a great thinker of the game. I really think the animosity between Ronnie and Shaun is down to personal. Both dislike each other pretty well, mainly due to some comments from Shaun in the past, as quoted earlier, but not only. There are loads and loads of Ronnie haters to be honest, including many of the top players of the game. Ask Hendo about him.....
                      Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Reardon famously rebuilt his game in secret over six months because of what the Hurricane did to him.
                        Got any proof of that ?

Comment

I would have enjoyed seeing Jimmy take a world title, too. I would argue that he didn't deserve one though, because his lack of professionalism off the table simply wasn't right. That's my point about him not being one of the few complete players. He certainly had the skills.
                          Couldn't dispute that mate. Absolutely true to the core and even jimmy knows that too.

Comment

^

To be fair though Ronnie isn't the font of all knowledge it's just when he needs a poo he opens his mouth instead
                            It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

1982 obviously passed you by. Alex was always addicted to one substance or another but to say he never had it is wide of the mark. Reardon famously rebuilt his game in secret over six months because of what the Hurricane did to him. Alex revolutionised the game in the early 70s. He was a pioneeer, allbeit, a faulted pioneer with dreadful street technique. More pool shark than snooker player but his talent made poor technique work. Alex had 'it' at times.

But Ronnie is talking snooker brains here, not having 'it'. Bottle, total focus with all of life shaped to snooker, no distractions, practice and hard work, never giving up, fighting till the last ball are the other things required to complete what the snooker brain has worked out very quickly, so that the player can become a great. Jimmy missed out on a few of these things but his snooker brain and talent cannot be denied.
                              I watched 1982 start to finish and agree, Alex had 'it' at times. My only point is that he was never a complete player, neither was Jimmy, hell, Alex wasn't even a complete human being, let alone snooker professional. And it can be transient. Hendry was a complete player but then he lost it at the age of about 30.

Comment

Working...
                              X