Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chalk Dust Coming Off My Tip Onto Table!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chalk Dust Coming Off My Tip Onto Table!

As the title says I have noticed that when I play there is a lot of chalk dust that comes off my tip onto the table when I hit the cue ball (obviously a lot more when playing screw shots but this happens a lot on other shots as well). I have always used Triangle Chalk but recently tried Masters Chalk because of this problem but the problem is even worse with the Masters Chalk & now I have gone back to the Triangle Chalk. Is this problem because of the chalk itself or the tip & is there any way to stop or reduce the amount of chalk that keeps coming off my tip and onto the table when I play shots & does anyone else have problems with this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Chalk Dust Coming Off My Tip Onto Table!

The first question and possible solution is how often and how hard do you chalk your tip?

What type of tip do you have? Laminate (with layers) or pressed?
    What colour chalk - blue, green, medium green (spruce)?
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Blow away excess chalk from the tip and away from the table before you shoot. Cliff Thorborn was probably the most famous player to do this. Others do it too... :snooker:
      "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
      National Snooker Expo
      25-27 October 2019
      http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Sounds like you chalk as much as me! I see players chalk a small portion of their tip after a shot.

I tend to chalk the whole thing after almost every shot and if someones in a break I might do a little more (not so they can hear) and a little more to break up the wait. It might explain why I change my tip so often!!

When screwing a shot etc there's normally a fair bit comes off and I tap my cue with my hand to get any excess off.

You're probably over chalking but maybe that's a habit.......anyway, gotta go.......gotta chalk me cue aaaaahhhhhhh!
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

You probably overchalk by a mile. A tip just needs a fine layer of chalk to be efficient. The more chalk you put on it, the more grit you create. You end up damaging the dip, putting huge chalk marks on the balls and cloth, leading to kicks. Just gently and lightly chalk your tip.

Listen to what Barry Stark says about it, coaching Kyren Wilson : https://youtu.be/CiJrYXZhhu8?t=2m20s
          Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Never thought about it wearing the tip down....good video.
            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by dmorley85 View Post
              As the title says I have noticed that when I play there is a lot of chalk dust that comes off my tip onto the table when I hit the cue ball (obviously a lot more when playing screw shots but this happens a lot on other shots as well). I have always used Triangle Chalk but recently tried Masters Chalk because of this problem but the problem is even worse with the Masters Chalk & now I have gone back to the Triangle Chalk. Is this problem because of the chalk itself or the tip & is there any way to stop or reduce the amount of chalk that keeps coming off my tip and onto the table when I play shots & does anyone else have problems with this? Any advice would be appreciated.
              Try Triangle Spruce. It flakes less and adheres more, so you can go 5 shots without chalking. And it works well on all tips, especially lammies. Probably the best chalk in the world, apart from Kamui :biggrin-new:

Last edited by Big Splash!; 6 September 2016, 10:07 AM.

Comment

My tip is a Mike Wooldridge Supertip & I use light green Triangle chalk & have also tried light green Masters chalk if that's any help. I normally chalk my tip after every shot or every other shot.

Comment

When you first put the tip on and shape it, finish with a fine grade of sandpaper (if you don't already). Tips that are finished with a coarser grade end up fuzzy and fluffy and hairy and hold enormous amounts of chalk.

Comment

Originally Posted by dmorley85 View Post
                    My tip is a Mike Wooldridge Supertip & I use light green Triangle chalk & have also tried light green Masters chalk if that's any help. I normally chalk my tip after every shot or every other shot.
                    Try spruce mate. More grip, less mess and less chalking. A lot of the pros have moved to Masters green. Triangle green seems to be going out of favour. It's just too fine and leads to glazing. Horrible stuff. The only stuff worse is Pioneer; king of crap.
                    Last edited by Big Splash!; 6 September 2016, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Light green or dark? Does the dark not mark the cueball?

Comment

Working...
                      X