Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Mike Wooldridge Liquid Gold Cue Oil Any Good???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is Mike Wooldridge Liquid Gold Cue Oil Any Good???

    Has anyone on this forum used this oil and is it any good? Do you apply the oil with a paint brush to the shaft or do you put the oil on a cloth and then rub it into the shaft? Also do you wire wool the shaft before putting the oil on or not?

  • #2
    It's quite good but it does darken the shaft quite a bit more than other brands. I tend to use wire wool after oiling.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jono* View Post
      It's quite good but it does darken the shaft quite a bit more than other brands. I tend to use wire wool after oiling.
      What oil do you use? Do you apply it with a cloth or brush?

      Comment


      • #4
        I use Mike liquid gold and use a kitchen towel and wear surgical gloves because its a pain to wash off. Lots of coats and leave on for 20 minutes, then buff.

        Comment


        • #5
          I use it on my MW's and follow the intructiond on the bottle. He spent a lot of time putting together his information videos on his site and I have never found a reason to secondguess him.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by wellpastit View Post
            I use it on my MW's and follow the intructiond on the bottle. He spent a lot of time putting together his information videos on his site and I have never found a reason to secondguess him.
            I do this too ^^
            It leaves a nice dark finish on ash and a natural finish on maple
            "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
            National Snooker Expo
            25-27 October 2019
            http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Mike explains on his website how to refinish a cue.

              Take some tips from this if you just want to add a little oil.

              http://handmadecues.com/re-finish/
              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jono* View Post
                It's quite good but it does darken the shaft quite a bit more than other brands. I tend to use wire wool after oiling.
                How do you find the MW Oil after the 1st application. Does your cue feel smooth and non sticky on the bridge hand ?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by the lone wolf View Post
                  I do this too ^^
                  It leaves a nice dark finish on ash and a natural finish on maple
                  Yeah, linseed oil does have that habit.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I used it and can't fault it. Very good stuff. Follow Mike's isntruction on his video and you'll be fine.
                    However, cue will remain slightly sticky for some time but wire wool helps speeding up the process. Don't forget to buffer and wipe it more often with a damp cloth in the following days.

                    Another alternative is ADR's own oil, which I am expecting of bottle of.
                    Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
                      I used it and can't fault it. Very good stuff. Follow Mike's isntruction on his video and you'll be fine.
                      However, cue will remain slightly sticky for some time but wire wool helps speeding up the process. Don't forget to buffer and wipe it more often with a damp cloth in the following days.

                      Another alternative is ADR's own oil, which I am expecting of bottle of.
                      Thats my concern, the cue remaining sticky for some time - Coutts doesnt do that.
                      Look forward to your review on the ADR oil.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I like mikes oil - the smell is amazing!
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                          Thats my concern, the cue remaining sticky for some time - Coutts doesnt do that.
                          Look forward to your review on the ADR oil.
                          I learned the hard way, put too much on or leave it on too long and may as well have used glue. Needs taking back then and start again. Rather do a few light coats now and build it up gradually.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            website down for maintenance

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
                              I used it and can't fault it. Very good stuff. Follow Mike's isntruction on his video and you'll be fine.
                              However, cue will remain slightly sticky for some time but wire wool helps speeding up the process. Don't forget to buffer and wipe it more often with a damp cloth in the following days.

                              Another alternative is ADR's own oil, which I am expecting of bottle of.
                              Any cue oil that leaves the cue sticky should be swerved. That is completely unnecessary. My oil doesn't leave the cue sticky, nor anyone else's. Oil, then wire wool, really? That's not a solution(!), that's a problem.
                              Last edited by Big Splash!; 10th September 2016, 07:18 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X