No announcement yet.

Tip question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am more consistent when I do as little as possible to the tip once it's been fitted. I used to shape them but now I prefer to rough them up a bit and then hit the practice table to wear them in. It can take 10+ hours and there is an early phase where trying to use spin often goes horribly wrong but eventually I have worked in a tip I can 100% trust and I feel much more confident.
    www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
      Just take my time. I use small strip of 2000 wet and dry and 0000 wire wool, sometimes use strip of brown paper to buff it even shinier lol.
      I love your ferrule Markz. But will too much buffing damage the ferrule? If not then I might try it myself.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ethanat View Post
        I love your ferrule Markz. But will too much buffing damage the ferrule? If not then I might try it myself.
        Tape the top of the shaft with a strip of masking tape to protect it. I like to do this occasionally for folk when I tip their cues. I like a soft sheen, so I only go to p2000, no wire wool. I'm no match for Markz, he's a real buffer.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
          Tape the top of the shaft with a strip of masking tape to protect it. I like to do this occasionally for folk when I tip their cues. I like a soft sheen, so I only go to p2000, no wire wool. I'm no match for Markz, he's a real buffer.
          Nice one mate, my hand gets cramp from all the buffing. I do all my pals cues so they usually turn up at mine with a black ferrule.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ethanat View Post
            No need to go mad, the finish comes pretty quick and not much work needed.

Comment

I usually shape mine like this:

I do like a mushroom tip though hence the non-flush edges!

Comment

Nice job Phil, I think you beat me on the shiny ferrule. I'm getting lazy, I know I should tape up but I've stopped bothering now.

Comment

Nice job Phil, I think you beat me on the shiny ferrule. I'm getting lazy, I know I should tape up but I've stopped bothering now.
                  How are you burnishing the edges of your tips Markz?
                  Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                  Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                  Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

I got a new tip on my cue today, Grand tip, I hadn't heard of them before

Comment

received_1205421239517942.jpeg........

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                        How are you burnishing the edges of your tips Markz?
                        I got the tool ADR supplies, small plastic tube, then I've got the leather kamui burnishing tool plus I'll use the back of a peice of wet and dry to burnish tip as well. Lots of ways to do this.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          [ATTACH]18485[/ATTACH]........
                          Is it difficult re tipping blackspin ferrule JRC, I wasn't sure so stopped me buying one yet.

Comment

Is it difficult re tipping blackspin ferrule JRC, I wasn't sure so stopped me buying one yet.
                            To be honest I always get Stu at Greenbaize to do it for me as I'm only a short drive away, he said just be extra careful when doing it, doesn't seem to cause him no bother
                            Last edited by jrc750; 10 September 2016, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                              To be honest I always get Stu at Greenbaize to do it for me as I'm only a short drive away, he said just be extra careful when doing it, doesn't seem to cause him no bother
                              Thanks jrc, must help you with precise potting with touch of side lol

Comment

Did a bit of tidying up of my tip today. Looks like a bit of an improvement over my original effort don't ya think?

Tip_3.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X