Wire Wool On Cue...Yes Or No???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
    Got to disagree with you there bud as I use oiled p2000 to finish cues and it's still not enough. I then like to use used and shiny p2000 (probably p4000 at this point), followed by wool cloth with oil, then cotton cloth with oil. Then a lot of dry cloth buffing.

But I'd never use any emery to clean a cue, totally unnecessary. A damp cloth or dry cloth after every session suffices. I say this as someone with a short, 8'' bridge to ball so I get more chalk on my cue as a result. Sticky dirt can be removed with meths or silicone. Both are non-abrasive, so why use abrasives that wear away the shaft near the ferrule and chew up a load of time?

I've said this before but I'll say it again; there is no way JP would take any abrasives of any kind to a shaft service or clean.
    So what we have established here is that there are two types of cleaning.
    The first: For everyday cleaning I agree 100% - NO NEED for any abrasive cleaning. Meths (I use WHITE SPIRIT because I don't like the smell of meths) is an excellent way to clean the shaft... And if the player is really bothered, they can wipe their cue done after every use, which will keep both their cue and cue case clean. Remember, most cues will pick up dirt from the case as well.

Second; deeper cleaning. Trust me - If you want that new look with damage to your shaft. Please do not use wire wool. See previous posts...
    NOTE: Deep cleaning should only occur once every 12-18 months. This is not an everyday solution to keeping a cue shaft clean!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by the lone wolf; 12 September 2016, 09:12 PM.
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
      OK so...
      Cleaning the shaft - Use 400 wet & dry and move up. 800 is enough. Remember you can use Wet & Dry - WET! With a very damp cloth and quickly use the wet & dry in a fast motion. The heat produced will quickly dry wet residue from the shaft. Try it on a scrap piece of wood first and you'll see and feel what I mean.

Smooth shaft finish - I like to use up to 1200 wet & dry but it's not essential as 800 will do. same motion but even faster! You will need a strong wrist, but I'm sure you have had enough practice at other wrist applied actions just like myself!

To answer your questions directly;
      1. MINIMAL wood is taken from the shaft - literally dust, but the majority is dirt.
      2. I'm not technical enough to answer this question
      ---
      NOTE;
      Using any type of wire wool will scratch the surface of any material. This is why plumbers use it to clean pipes. Its a quick way to scratch dirt away.
      IMO; This is a no no on wood.
      On an ash shaft it is more difficult to see the scratch marks because of the grain, but they are there. On a maple shaft it really shows and you can feel it when rubbing on either shaft.
      ---
      Further to this - I have witnessed 10's of Pool Cue Maple shafts being cleaned by professionals. Not ONE has ever used wire wool... :snooker:
      Nice reply mate and very in depth.

I'm not a 100% convinced and will have to try and find the cue maker and site where it was recommended.

The type of steel wool used on the copper to remove oxidation is a lot courser than the 0000 and to get the flux to run (35 years in the trade).

Nice debate though and nice to see we all have various thinking and methods.
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
        Nice reply mate and very in depth.

I'm not a 100% convinced and will have to try and find the cue maker and site where it was recommended.

The type of steel wool used on the copper to remove oxidation is a lot courser than the 0000 and to get the flux to run (35 years in the trade).

Nice debate though and nice to see we all have various thinking and methods.
        Absolutely!
        What works for the individual can only be right... :snooker:
        National Snooker Expo
        25-27 October 2019

Comment

Absolutely!
          What works for the individual can only be right... :snooker:
          It would be interesting to have all the cue makers cues lined up and see what we all think of them. What would be great would be the how but that's the game my friend!

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
            Easy to learn all the tricks for the small fixes just need to ask members that are happy to help or use the search function on the site. Dave Walton is a good man, enjoys working on cues and has good knowledge.
            Cheers mate :-)

Comment

It would be interesting to have all the cue makers cues lined up and see what we all think of them. What would be great would be the how but that's the game my friend!
              What I've noticed in the snooker world is that there are a lot of 'best kept' secrets.
              In American Pool, cue makers are a lot more open. Their philosophy is more like; if you think you can do better, get too it... Then they charge a packet to clear up the mess. The players have learned to jut go to the cue maker for maintenance.
              National Snooker Expo
              25-27 October 2019

Comment

What I've noticed in the snooker world is that there are a lot of 'best kept' secrets.
                In American Pool, cue makers are a lot more open. Their philosophy is more like; if you think you can do better, get too it... Then they charge a packet to clear up the mess. The players have learned to jut go to the cue maker for maintenance.
                Yeah it's the only trade that's surprised me a little over the years although I get why.

It was refreshing to see forums like when the pool cue makers got together in a hotel and had a chat about the trade, really good watch.

Comment

Yeah it's the only trade that's surprised me a little over the years although I get why.

It was refreshing to see forums like when the pool cue makers got together in a hotel and had a chat about the trade, really good watch.
                  Yeah I saw that footage too and have met a few at the table.
                  It would be great if the snooker cue makers would get together in such a manner, held in a convention room. There is so much potential and gain from an expo / exhibition type event for snooker cue makers. The players should turn up with the right promotion most of whom will want repairs or new cues from their favourite maker; at least, this is what happens in the USA.
                  The sharing of knowledge can only be a good thing. :snooker:
                  National Snooker Expo
                  25-27 October 2019

Comment

Originally Posted by Stevie Wonder View Post
                    Ok then what about brasso? Not a cleaner as such but more like a cutting paste t-cut for example. Good enough for Rolls Royce to use on them burl dash boards.
                    A mate told me about it years ago he was working at rolls royce sub contracting and had a wonder round and discovered guys working on the wooden bits with nothing but rags and brasso.
                    Depends what's in the brasso I suppose. I guess the other two methods are taking something off (hopefully just the dirt), Brasso must leave something in the wood do you think?

Not sure how that would react over time....

Comment

I enjoyed that as well .
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Ok then what about brasso? Not a cleaner as such but more like a cutting paste t-cut for example. Good enough for Rolls Royce to use on them burl dash boards.
                        A mate told me about it years ago he was working at rolls royce sub contracting and had a wonder round and discovered guys working on the wooden bits with nothing but rags and brasso.
                        No harm in trying... But I'd test it on a scrap piece of unwanted wood first and leave for 24 hours to know its true affect on the material.
                        National Snooker Expo
                        25-27 October 2019

Comment

Burl is a hardwood, so is ash but it's more porous so I'd swerve Brasso except for the ferrule.

Meths or White spirit for cleaning the shaft of dirt and grease now and again? Meths for me, I prefer the smell and most importantly, it doesn't leave that oily residue on the cue. This is because meths is made mostly from alcohol (ethanol) and methanol (10%), whereas white spirits is a derivative of crude oil, the nasty black stuff. White spirit is far more toxic, so that's another reason to swerve it.

Comment

Working...
                          X