Wire Wool On Cue...Yes Or No???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Wool On Cue...Yes Or No???

I was thinking of using 0000 wire wool on my cue to make it smooth & then finish it off with Wood Silk Beeswax Spray. Is this ok to do?

Yes, 0000 or 000, other grades are coarser, after rubbing with the wire wool dampen a lint free cloth or kitchen paper towell with meths or white spirit and go over the shaft again with that, let it dry for ten minutes before applying the beeswax spray. Apply several coats of the beeswax spray leaving drying time as said on the tin and buff final coat to a shine.

Just let Big Splash know that you're not doing this while playing because the cue gets a bit sticky, this is your once a year maintenance regime

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
      Yes, 0000 or 000, other grades are coarser, after rubbing with the wire wool dampen a lint free cloth or kitchen paper towell with meths or white spirit and go over the shaft again with that, let it dry for ten minutes before applying the beeswax spray. Apply several coats of the beeswax spray leaving drying time as said on the tin and buff final coat to a shine.

Just let Big Splash know that you're not doing this while playing because the cue gets a bit sticky, this is your once a year maintenance regime
      Am I right that the 0000 wire wool is finer than the 000? Which is best the 0000 grade?

Comment

0000 is the finest, but 000 is really fine, there's not a lot of difference, either will do.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
          0000 is the finest, but 000 is really fine, there's not a lot of difference, either will do.
          You can get 00000 grade wire wool also. I use 0000 but wouldn't use 000 on the cue shaft

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
            You can get 00000 grade wire wool also. I use 0000 but wouldn't use 000 on the cue shaft
            Easy to learn all the tricks for the small fixes just need to ask members that are happy to help or use the search function on the site. Dave Walton is a good man, enjoys working on cues and has good knowledge.

Comment

never used wire wool on a cue shaft but it is fantastic on a tip!
              "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

My understanding is that 0000 is more of a polisher.
                Used it on my shaft plenty of times - cue shaft that is

Comment

Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                  My understanding is that 0000 is more of a polisher.
                  Used it on my shaft plenty of times - cue shaft that is
                  I was always told 0000 was just enough to take any seat /dirt debris off.

Whether that is correct or not is up for debate, the debate being that over time it will still reduce the csa of the shaft?
                  Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                  Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                  Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                    I was always told 0000 was just enough to take any seat /dirt debris off.

Whether that is correct or not is up for debate, the debate being that over time it will still reduce the csa of the shaft?
                    When for example oiling a cue many say use the 0000 inbetween coats.
                    Maybe just using it generally after a few snooker sessions would be best < as I do ....... up for debate yes.
                    This is from Liberons website :

Polishing and cleaning delicate surfaces
                    Grade 0000

use to cut back between coats of French Polishes, varnishes and oil finishes
                    use to clean and polish metals such as bronze, copper, chrome, stainless steel and aluminium
                    use to cut back between coats of varnish or paint
                    use with soapy water to clean and polish porcelain, marble and glass without marking

Comment

Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                      When for example oiling a cue many say use the 0000 inbetween coats.
                      Maybe just using it generally after a few snooker sessions would be best < as I do ....... up for debate yes.
                      This is from Liberons website :

Polishing and cleaning delicate surfaces
                      Grade 0000

use to cut back between coats of French Polishes, varnishes and oil finishes
                      use to clean and polish metals such as bronze, copper, chrome, stainless steel and aluminium
                      use to cut back between coats of varnish or paint
                      use with soapy water to clean and polish porcelain, marble and glass without marking
                      It suggests it's only skimming the surface e.g. when a metal surface has oxidised.

I guess the question remains, if using it regularly to remove sweat and dirt/debris, does it reduce the csa over time.

Worth the question I reckon as it brings the cue up nice and slippery but you can't help but feel that regular use may take more than the sweat off?

Comment

NO!
                        Would you take an axe to a shaft to make it smooth?
                        Axes and wire wool are made up of similar properties.
                        ----
                        Use fine sandpaper and or wet & dry paper. The finer the better :snooker:
                        "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                        National Snooker Expo
                        25-27 October 2019
                        http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
                          NO!
                          ----
                          Yeah, nice analogy.

Obviously an axe will take the whole shaft, course wire wool will take less and fine wire wool will take less than that.

I know this has been suggested by a well known cue maker in the past saying that it shouldn't take any of the wood off, just the debris, hence the question remains.

Can't remember the cue maker off hand but I personally told it so certainly interested.

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
                            NO!
                            ----
                            Fine sandpaper ... Nooooooo. Only if you are refinishing should sandpaper be near your cue. IMO.

Comment

Originally Posted by dmorley85 View Post
                              I was thinking of using 0000 wire wool on my cue to make it smooth & then finish it off with Wood Silk Beeswax Spray. Is this ok to do?
                              Damp cloth or dry cloth is all any cue needs to make it smooth. If you want ultra glide, then the only chemical I'd put on a cue is silicone spray as it won't damage the shaft but actually seal it from the effects of moisture. Sudal make one sold on ebay. Lasts a long time. I went through your phase of wanting something smoother and then smoother still. So I switched from damp cloth to silicone. Silicone also cleans the cue so it has an added benefit. But these days I'm less anal and it's just a dry cloth. To get over it being a tiny bit less smooth, I simply drive the cue a tiny bit harder. Simple.

Comment

Working...
                              X